Let's talk about Black Friday!

Discussion in 'General' started by MichelleL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Who's heading out to shop Black Friday this year? Me!! :Clap: Me!! :Clap: Me!! :Clap:

Every other year I go with my SIL (alternate years she is out of state). Unfortunately, this is her year to be gone, so I'll be going solo but that's okay!!

Along with searching for good deals to get for family and friends, DH and I are in the market for a new TV so we'll be scouring ads for good deals on those.

I think this website is one we shared last year that posts sale ads. :good:

1 person likes this.
  2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

OMG Michelle.. is it really that time of year again?! I've never done the super-early 'black friday' shopping, but have fun!

3. caba

caba Banned

Not me!! Every black friday we go to our Christmas tree farm and get our tree! Yup, Christmas starts for me the minute that turkey is off the table!! And I do 99% of my christmas shopping online ... I can't deal with stores and crowds and people. The shopping is my least favorite part of the holiday! I like to eat and celebrate and listen to music. :laughing:

4. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

Me either. Too much insanity for me. I am going to NYC for Thanksgiving. I am hoping to visit the staue of liberty that day :ibiggrin:

5. MichelleL

It is!!! :yahoo:

:laughing: Are you suuuure you don't want to be out with all the :crazy: people? I'm not a fan of having to do all the shopping for presents, etc., sometimes it's just too stressful. But on that day I love to be out in the craziness getting deals.

6. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I'll be going out for my 3rd annual 'diaper stocking' trip!! LOL BRU sells their cases of diapers for $10 on Black Friday (the last 2 years anyways, I'm really hoping again this year) and trust me, with 3 kids under 3, we buy AS MUCH as we can!! LOL They also have their cases of wipes on sale for $5, so I load up on those too...

That's the only thing I venture out for on Black Friday. It's the only good deal I've found worth fighting the crowds for, and BRU really never has that many crowds to begin with....

Everyone else I've found marks their prices UP, then discounts them, so you're really not getting a deal. I watched it real close last year and saw that the closer to Black Friday we got, the higher the prices went, so even if you are getting 30% off on Black Friday, you're still paying MORE than the 'off season' price if you had either bought it earlier (what I do) or after christmas, or even a week or two after Thanksgiving the prices started going back down.

7. MichelleL

Oooh fun, are you going to the parade??

8. Leighann

Go to the balloon inflation the night before Thanksgiving! Its on the west side of the park by the museum of natural history. Its BETTER than the parade IMO :)

9. MichelleL

That sounds like a great idea!!

Really?? I go to Kohl's every year and they have amazing deals. I shop there enough to know their prices and they have some steals. :good:

10. twinbears

Yes. I can't wait it will be the first time.

11. Leighann

12. twinbears

We drive in that night I am not sure if we are going to be able to make it. It sounds cool though.

13. MichelleL

I am SO jealous!! I would love to go and watch it some year.

Thanks Leighann!! :Clap: That's a great site!!

14. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I might be :crazy: but I love Black Friday!! It's like the official start to the Christmas season. All the shopping and energy...I just feed off of it!! :banana:

15. MichelleL

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!! :yahoo: :woo:

16. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My girlfriends and I went to Black Friday last year and it was so funny. You would have thought we were drunk. We just walked in Wal Mart screaming why is it so busy, where is the bread LOL. The good thing about our Wal Mart is they let you in to stand by what you want then cut the tape on the stuff at 5 am. I got the girls tv's for their bedrooms. I will probably go again this year.

17. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Add me to the :crazy: people list. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Black Friday. I have only been doing it for 3 years now. I get such a rush. It is my drug of choice. :woo: On Thanksgiving night we all sit around at my BIL with the sales papers thrown about planning our attack. :lol:

18. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

I will be one of the wonderful people working Black Friday. Be nice to us who will be working in retail establishments this year. Its not always our choice to be there, and some of the crazies out there are just not nice. :aggressive:

19. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Nope, I'll be working. Healthcare doesn't get those fun days off. I wish though! I might just do the cyber Monday.

20. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Oh Trust me... I have been in your shoes many many times. I have always said that EVERYONE should have to work in retail at least once. :woman: I hope people are in great moods that morning.

21. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I worked for Best Buy a few years back in college and got to work the 4am-2pm shift...wow, craziness!! The store was really nice to cater breakfast and lunch for us though!

22. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:bow2: Working in retail is what totally turned me off to Black Friday. Thank goodness for the internet, so I can do my shopping online. I don't like dealing with the crowds (almost passed out in a store one year because it was so crowded)...usually Black Friday is decorating day in our house. This year my DH might have to work, so the plans are still up in the air.

23. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

It all depends- if I can find a really good deal on JUST what I'm looking for, then yes, I'll go. And I MIGHT hit up Children's Place. Otherwise, I try to do as much as I can online.

24. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Well, I have about 80% of my shopping done for the kids, but I also love the craziness of Black Friday -- sometimes, LOL. If I can get my butt out of bed early, I just might venture out!

I think we want to buy MIL a new laptop for Christmas -- she soooo needs a new one -- so I bet I can find a great deal that day.

25. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year I was working at Kohl's so I worked the night before Thanksgiving and the night of Black Friday. It was so annoying that Wed night because all these people came in knowing we would have marked stuff down already (on the racks) so they were getting the sale prices before Black Friday. (We were open until midnight!!)

I will probably stay here and look for some online deals. There is no way I am heading out there with three kids and my husband usually works that day.

26. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

I will be about 34 weeks pregnant - so not happening this year! But I would love to get in on the BRU diaper deal...

27. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

I've never been out on Black Friday. The thought of being stuck in a crowd of pushing, shoving people gives me a panic attack. If there's something so good that we absolutely can't pass it up, dh will go out and get it. He doesn't mind all the people...and he can roll out of bed and be out the door in 5 min. I can't go out in public without taking a shower first.

28. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:woo: I LOVE Black Friday!!! Just me and my Peppermint Mocha from SB, Holiday tunes, and my list. :banana:

29. MichelleL

YES!! :yahoo:

30. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We need to have a virtual coffee date Michelle. Hmmm, maybe on Black Friday?

31. MichelleL

I know! We haven't had one in a while. I say it's a DEAL!! :friends: I will get a Pepp Mocha before I head to the stores (usually get a cawfee at the beginning). I'll toast you!! :drinks:

Then we can come on here all jazzed up and share our deals. :Clap:

32. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

I LOVE Black Friday!! I've gotten some good deals the past couple years. Of course, I am most likely going to have to work again this year but I don't have to be to work until 9:30 so I might still be able to get a good deal on something. DH wants a PS3 and we need a new tv. I've already got 3 BF websites bookmarked and got a couple things on my list to watch for prices and compare. I wish I had someone to go with me but none of my friends are brave enough to brave the crowds with me. :(

33. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I'll be working that day - we did Black Friday last year but later on in the day...also one of the first year's that Tony and I were dating we did the Black Friday WalMart thing because he wanted a Christmas tree....I think I'll do most of my shopping online....

34. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

I do love the deals on Black Friday, but rarely do I actually hit the stores. Last year I got up at 5am and went on Walmart.com and got almost everything I wanted! There were a few things that were only available in the stores, but I got over it. :D I would probably go out if I could find a "partner in crime" to go with, but I never can!

35. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I never thought of going on Wednesday night before - thanks for the tip! [​IMG] There's always something I want from Kohl's, but ours is nowhere close to any of the other stores I want to go to. I like to go at 5 am and be home for lunch & naptime. I have no time to waste driving around!!

Same here! I don't even want a shopping buddy on BF, I'm all business. I tried to skip it last year and just shop online but I enjoy the tradition, it really kicks off the Christmas season for me.