Let's discuss Mucous....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by watersurfers, Jun 15, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

So, I don't recall losing my mucous plug with my first pregnancy, water broke five weeks early due to a across state move we did. So not sure exactly what to look for.
    However, the last two days, I have had a generous portion of mucous after each trip to the bathroom. It isn't brown or bloody. But thicker strands than I have had before. In fact, most of this pregnancy has been pretty dry (excuse the graphic detail....).
    Can you lose your mucous plug slowly in bits? And if so, how soon after does your water break?

Molly
    33 weeks

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Yes you can loose your mucous plug slowly. I did with my son. It can also come out all at once. It is usually blood tinged though, so don't freak if you see a little blood. I lost my plug almost 2 weeks before my water broke. Hope this helps.

3. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can lose your mucous plug slowly, and it can also regenerate, and then fall out again. In my last pregnancy, I was starting to dilate at 33 weeks, and lost my plug a few times before delivering at 39 weeks. Losing it really has no bearing on when you will go into labour (just like how dilated you are), but probably means that your cervix is starting to change.

4. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

I only started to lose mine after a membrane sweep last pregnancy. It was definitely more mucous-y (LOL) and had some bloody tinge to it. But I would guess without the sweep it would have stayed put so I guess I'm no help am I? Sorry!

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Surrodoula @ Jun 16 2009, 09:58 AM) [snapback]1356513[/snapback]
    Yeah, you can lose your mucous plug slowly, and it can also regenerate, and then fall out again.

I totally agree with this! :good:

I lost my mucous plug at 24 weeks and didn't deliver my girls until 28 weeks.