Less messy food ideas?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Safari, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

Right before outings and/or during outings, I need food ideas that are less messy. My girls are 12 months and are very messy eaters. Refuse spoon feeding, so finger food only.

So far I've used peas, cheese cubes, firm tofu, gerber puffs.... I need more ideas that don't make a crumbly or sticky mess.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Cantaloupe? Pears (though I don't know if you can get them ripe enough at this time of year)? Those are two fruits that at least don't stain or mush, though I guess any fruit is going to be sticky.

Also Cheerios and graham crackers (or other kinds, but graham are less crumbly -- though they can get sticky if they dissolve).

We always have to wash their hands afterwards, so I'm not sure we have any foods that are completely non-sticky or crumbly. For eating out of the house, we usually just try to feed things that at least can be washed off with just water (rather than requiring a complete bath). [​IMG]

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We save messy food for dinner and give them a bath right after.

Freeze dried fruit, cereal bars, assorted cereals (kix are fun because their balls), cheese, lunch meat, crackers(love baby goldfish) are some of our less messy foods

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Lunchmeat or pieces of grilled chicken, hamburger, canned veggies, cheese, that's just some ideas. Mine will tolerate being spoon fed at some times, which I do if I'm trying to keep them neat or we're in a hurry.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You've gotten some good ideas, I would just add grilled cheese, chicken nuggests, fish sticks. Those don't seem to be too messy when we've had them.

6. BoysInTheHouse

BoysInTheHouse Well-Known Member

If your girls don't mush the peas, then I'd say sometimes give them frozen mixed vegetables like corn/carrots/green beans. Maybe canned diced or sliced potatoes, whichever you think they can handle (chew) better.

Also, my boys don't make too much mess of the cheese sandwiches I make. As long as the cheese is slightly melted or the bread is pressed together pretty well, they usually don't take it apart. And, I cut/tear it up into bite-sized pieces. You could do the same with Jam sandwiches; although Jam would more likely get messy maybe it'd still be manageable with a wipey here and there.

Oh yeah, based on our pediatrician's advice, I often give a frozen mini-bagel. It's to help alleviate teething, but my guys really gnaw away at it and end up eating quite a bit in one sitting. Oh, but that may get too crumbly. Sorry.

HTH!

7. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

Cooked diced carrots.
    Cut up chicken or turkey slices. Bread or light toast.
    Plain ziti.
    Baked french fries or tater tots.