Leg Slamming

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nurseandrea02, May 8, 2008.

1. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Ever since my DS Conner was BORN, he does this thing where he lays on his back, raises his legs, & SLAMS them down again. He doesn't care what surface he hits....hardwood floor, bathroom tile, carpet, whatever. He ONLY does it when he's laying flat on his back.

He also typically does it when he's trying to get comfy & fall asleep. However, lately he's been doing it MORE & MORE and not less & less like I'd hoped. I woke up at 2am last night to this 'bang, bang, bang' & finally realized it was him in the nursery slamming his legs down on his crib mattress! It's waking Aiden, too, & driving us ALL nuts!

I have a friend who's little guy did this until he was like 2! Please tell me any of you have experience in that it DOES go away sooner rather than later! Any ideas as to WHY he does it? When he was super little, we joked that it was because he was SO squished in utero that he was taking advantage of being able to flail about! He doesn't have that excuse anymore ;).....

2. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Mine do that too, mostly my DD. I think it's cute, but yeah i will also hear them doing it in their crib from the monitor.

My DD got my SO really good in his privates :D She was laying on his chest and WHAM! both heals in the groin. He didn't like that too much :lol:

3. kimj

kimj Well-Known Member

Natalie has been doing this since she was about 6 mos. and still does it today. It's mostly when she is in her crib and on her stomach. I think the leg slamming thing is actually comforting to her. It seems to have lessened a bit. but she is also sleeping longer / through the night. Good luck

4. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My Maia does it as well, since she was a few weeks old. Its wicked funny when she does it in the bath, she gets so serious!

5. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

I toally busted out laughing becaue mine do this too....funny!

6. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

Mine still do it occasionally but it has subsided a lot. I have one DS that slams his head down like that when he is in his crib to comfort himself :mellow: . The other one still does it in his crib when he is trying to get comfy but they don't do it on hard surfaces anymore, for the most part.

7. WEME

WEME Well-Known Member

Your post just brought a smile to my face. Chloe use to do this and it was sooo cute :wub: . It will stop in time.

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I can't tell you when it stops because one of my girls STILL does this. She thinks it's hysterical to do when I'm trying to change her diaper. :rolleyes:

9. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

My DD does this also. She has been doing it since she was a couple of months old. She mainly does it when she is getting sleepy and is in her crib.

10. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

How funny, I didn't know it was so common. One of my dd does it too when she is tired. Thankfully it doesn't wake her sister in the other crib though. I understand why that would be frustrating.

11. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

My son does this too! He mostly does it to fall asleep. He even bangs them against the crib rail. He's been doing it less this past week though. My DH also got it in his privates! LOL I hope it stops soon because it was driving me crazy too!

12. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

WOW, I TOTALLY didn't expect this many responses. I had never seen a baby do this before & thought it was maybe just him. I didn't realize it was more common!

Good to know!!!

13. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Joel woke me up this morning doing this!!!! ACK! It was awful. then when I tried to ignore it, he started screaming so I got up and brought him into my bed (in an attempt to maintain the "no lights on until 7 am" rule) and he started doing it in my bed too!!!

14. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Mine did this. I don't remember when they quit but it was sometime between 1 and 2. They also banged their heads and stopped that in the same time period.

People worry so much about repetitive motions but unless it's extreme, I don't think it's cause for concern.