Leaving a kid in the car- WWYD?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheezewhiz24, Dec 5, 2013.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I drop off my boys at a school preschool every day. Until this week I always carry or push my daughter in the stroller to walk up a small hill to the school. I can park directly in front of the building and the car is about 30 feet away.

My question is: Now that its REALLY cold, last night was -25C!, is it more humane to leave her bundled in the van, probably with an extra blanket for the 3 minutes I'd spend walking them up and signing them in or should I bring her out into the weather?

WWYD?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

If I can keep the car within my line of sight, I would probably just leave her in the car.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would leave her. I've done it before and used my remote starter so doors are locked and heater/ac is running:). I always talk to my boys about Hannah being in the car so they can't poke around, ask for millions extra kisses ect so I can run in an out. Our daycare has an awning right by front lobby that leads right to their room so I park, run in kiss and back out. Usually less than a min:)

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would totally leave her in the van. -25C is no joke!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Absolutely leave her in the van.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I leave Emmett all the time and I don't always have the van within direct eyesight. :) for some perspective - statistically, she's more likely to be injured on the drive to or from school than for anything to happen while you drop the boys off. Wait. That sounds less reassuring than I mean, but I hope you get where I'm coming from. ;)

2 people like this.
  7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep I'd leave her, and I've left my kids alone while I run into the pharmacy to get meds and such as well.  Nothing like walmart or grocery shopping, but to pay for gas (doors locked) or into the apothecary (doors locked and heat or a/c running), all the time.

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks everybody! My inclination was to leave her, too. It went fine. I don't really mind taking her in but with all of the outerwear it's a PITA and its freakishly cold here right now. .

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure what I would do. I know when I had to walk my girls in places, a. Lot to times parents would walk in other kids so their moms did not have to leave a younger sibling.
    Make sure it is not illegal to leave your running car with the keys in it but locked. In New York it is considered vehicle abandonment and against the law.

10. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

no kidding!  seems kinda strange that one would consider a car abandoned when it is running and locked.. who would abandon a car like that?

I was just thinking.. i need to get a remote starter!  my current car won't let you lock the car from the outside if it is running.  my options are loose the heat/ac and lock OR leave it running unlocked.  Which i do depends on where i am and the outside temp.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm...I have no idea if it's illegal or not.  But I live in a tiny little hick town so I doubt anything would happen anyways ;)  Besides, when it's 90+ degrees outside, i'm not shutting my vehicle off with the kids in it, the a/c has to be running. 

My oldest is nearly 12, I think it's actually nearly legal now to leave him in there with the little ones, if he's with me.  Don't quote me on that though!

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Here in NJ it is illegal--and the police do patrol the preschool parking lot.  Our preschool director would set up a buddy system where one parent would stay by the cars, and the other would drop off/retrieve the children.