Learning to go up /down stairs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rose524, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

My twins are 15 months old and we don't really let them go on the stairs because they are all hardwood. But I know I need to start teaching them how to go up and down.

I am putting this off because I have no idea how to begin this task! I am so afraid they will get hurt on the hard wood steps. I don't even know any close family or friends with carpeted stairs that they could prcatice on.

Any suggestions? :huh:

2. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

start at the bottom of the stairs and have them climb up (crawl) 3-4 stairs. then teach them to slide down on their tummys. this is best accomplished in a one-piece outfit like PJs. basically they are reverse crawling.

the other option is to have them "bump down". they sit on the stairs, with you next to them. You bump first. one step at the time you slide your bottom down to the next step and say "bump" as you bump down the steps. you will have to turn around and show them how to scoot forward until their little bottoms bump onto the next step down. ...

3. Rose524

Thank you for the reply!
    I am so afraid to let them go backwards on their tummy for fear they will hit their jaw on the wood step. But I guess I will have to try! Maybe I can wrap them in bubble wrap? :p

4. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

My boys have been stair climbers since 9 months. I always supervised but basically let them figure it out for themselves, perhaps it was easier for me because they were not walking at this point and all they knew was crawling. They would slide down on their tummies, never once hit their jaw. Now they will still sometimes go down on their tummies and it is hysterical to watch because they fly down like they are on a slide. Good Luck!

5. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

We just recently started letting them climb up the stairs (with us RIGHT behind each one). But they seem to be afraid to come down. My one dd doesnt' even want to attempt it and will just try to crawl back up. Not sure if I should teacher her the backwards method of the sliding down on the butt method. My other dd actually did try a little bit to go down yesterday. She basically stood up and as she was putting her foot on the next step down, she would sit simultaneously if that makes any sense. I'm not sure which is considered the safest way to go down for them at this stage? Any suggestions?

Thanks for posting this. We too are going through this right now.

6. Rose524

Hmmm...I don't think I have the guts to let them slide down on the wood. I really wish the stairs were carpeted....I guess I will try letting them crawl up with me right behind them. And we'll worry about how to get them down later LOL :D

7. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

They can learn to crawl down, not slide down on their tummies. They usually don't slide down until they are good at crawling down, anyway. I figured they had to learn it, so when they first started going up, I taught them to come down (around 8 months). Spend an hour letting them crawl up, then physically maneuver them to turn around and crawl back down several times. After a couple of days, they'll get it. And I bet they won't be too keen on sliding down, anyway, because hard wood is a little less comfortable on the tummy than carpet.

Even on my soft carpet stairs, it scares me to have the boys "bump" down. Then they want to stand and play, or try to walk down.

8. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

We started letting them crawl up the stairs when they were around 12 months. We were right behind them. We didn't teach them to climb down for a few months. To get them down, we just moved their arms and legs down until they caught on. We don't let them go up or down unsupervised. We have a carpet runner with wood on the side - they do slide on the wood sometimes necessitating a catch by mom or dad. So far so good. They love to climb the stairs for nap and bedtime.

9. Rose524

QUOTE(Corinne923 @ Aug 30 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]386880[/snapback]
    We started letting them crawl up the stairs when they were around 12 months. We were right behind them. We didn't teach them to climb down for a few months. To get them down, we just moved their arms and legs down until they caught on. We don't let them go up or down unsupervised. We have a carpet runner with wood on the side - they do slide on the wood sometimes necessitating a catch by mom or dad. So far so good. They love to climb the stairs for nap and bedtime.

i spoke with dh and am thinking of just getting a carpet runner for the stairs. it will make me feel a lot better. thanks everyone for the advice!! :)