Kinda feeling guilty

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by becasquared, Aug 20, 2009.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As you can see, Alice and Royce turn 2 on Sunday. I am not having a party because:

#1. We're moving out of state in a few weeks.
    #2. Money is tight.
    #3. My husband can't come down.

I know they won't remember whether or not they had a party, so why am I feeling so dang guilty about not throwing them at least a small party? Does it really matter?

2. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Could you do something small? Cake and ice cream with close friends and family.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: You are right that they won't remember but I know if I was in your shoes, I would feel guilty too :(
    I think in the long run, it's not going to matter much to them at all. But if you are really upset about it, maybe you could do a small family party when you are reunited with your DH and things calm down. Big :hug:

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We didn't have a party for Kevan & Karina's 2nd birthday. Instead, we took them to the children's museum that day, and in the evening we ordered a pizza and had ice cream cake -- just the five of us.

We did this because:

1. They're not in a playgroup, and don't really have friends their age yet
    2. Our families had just visited the month before, and couldn't make the trip again so soon
    3. I didn't feel like having a kid party with our other friends

Anyhow. They had no clue, and I didn't worry about it! We did buy them some nice big presents, but even if we hadn't, they still wouldn't have known. Don't fret, and save the party for next year!

ETA -- we've thrown Nadia some big blowout parties, so no guilt here. K&K will get their own when they're old enough to understand what's going on. [​IMG]

5. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Of course it doesn't matter. Why do we feel pressurised into throwing a party for 2 year olds!! We will not be having a party when they boys turn 2. We will celebrate the occasion maybe with a couple of close friends but that's it - there will be cake, hats, presents and a sing song! And I will not feel guilty and everyone will have a nice time!

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter to them but I would feel exactly like you do Bex. :hug: :hug: I think if you can't do a small party, you three do something special on that day. :wub: Take them out to a restaurant, get a dessert (either there or at home ) and get some decorations (like the hats, those things you blow into :blush: ) and let them stay up an hour longer. :lol: Maybe scratch the last one. Just have a mini party with the three of you, because this is also celebrating their momma!! :hug:

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I understand how you must feel. Seems like I'm always feeling guilty about something! With twins it's so hard to gather up the energy to do "special" things for every occasion.

I think the PPs have some good suggestions. I always find that when I'm feeling down about not doing enough (esp. for holidays, birthdays, etc.), I just make up my mind to do *something*, even if it's very small, and capture the moment in pictures. Then at least there is a record of the occasion for posterity, which assuages my guilt. And since the kids are so young it's really for me, not for them anyway. ;)

Maybe a small cake, some balloons, blow bubbles, sing. Take some pictures of happy children and you have a nice memory to share with them later.

Take care!

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I know I'd feel the same way, but to a two year old, a cupcake with a candle and having you sing them Happy Birthday is every bit as exciting as a full-blown party.

9. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I had bday parties for my first 5 bdays and then never again. I can't remember any of them. My kids all had to be at least 4 before I threw them a party, because I want them to remember the parties. All I have are pictures of parties I don't remember, and years of wanting a party and not having one (money was tight for my parents then).

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i agree! just do something small, the three of you. they'll be happy to have time with their mom & a special treat - make a big goofy production out of singing Happy Birthday to them & take a few pictures. wrap up something from the dollar store. it'll be special for them & special for you.

:hug: please don't feel guilty about not throwing a big party - there'll be time enough for that when they're older & can really remember it. :hug:

11. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

On my girls' second birthday we drove to Acapulco (about an 8 hour drive)! When we got there Grandpa and Grandma were waiting for us with lots of presents. At 1 month to their 5th birthday, they know the photos from that trip, but have no memory of the actual trip.
    I agree that a cupcake with a candle in it will be an exciting event.

12. rrodman

Really, when you think about it, I'm 33, and a cupcake with a candle in it just about makes my year, so it's got to be awesome for a 2 year old, right? :D

13. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

For real excitement, how about a cupcake with 33 candles in it! :p

14. rrodman

I could get behind that.

15. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I do understand, but don't feel guilty. They won't remember and certainly don't care right now. I like the cupcake idea - you coulc let them smash them again and play extra long in the bath.

16. becasquared

A cupcake with 33 candles? Oh my! It's like a sparkler bomb!

We're going to my parents' house and having cupcakes that afternoon. My sister and her partner are going to come too, so I guess they will have a party!

17. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat! DH will be away and my parents are coming into town so I just want to do cake and ice cream but my playgroup friends are trying to guilt me into having one! The one who is really pressuring me won't even be there since she'll have just had a csection with baby #2! UGH. I think I'm just going to take the boys to their favorite place on Earth...the aquarium! After naptime we'll have cake and ice cream and call it a day.

18. becasquared

What day are you going to go to the aquarium? Maybe I'll schlep over that way. . .

19. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We have season passes so go at least once a week. Their bday is Sept 14th but we'll probably be going with my parents. We can do a playdate there any time though! Let me know!

20. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Lennon didn't have a 2nd b-day party, aside from DH and I and my mom and dad. We had just moved across the country a few weeks before his b-day, we were living with my inlaws until we closed on our house - and honestly, just didn't have the energy to throw a big bash at someone else's house. We even gave him fairly small, inexpensive toys (a few books, a bath toy, and something else that I cannot remember now). He had a cool cake with sunglasses on it (he LOVES sunglasses) and the 4 of us sang him Happy B-day and had cake and ice cream after gifts. He loved it!!! And now, as a 5 year old, has no idea (nor does he care) what his 2nd bday was like.

Shake off the guilt!! :hug: