Keeping sick babies hydrated

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mom2VLS, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

A stomach bug has been going through our house lately. It started with me all weekend then hit Vivi Monday morning and hit the twins last night. Sophie is extra tired and fussy but is keeping bland food and milk down. Livie on the other hand can't keep anything down. Not milk. Not even more than 2 or 3 cheerios. The food doesn't worry me but I am a bit worried about dehydration. She basically spits up within 5 minutes of nursing. Our pedi doesn't generally recommend pedialyte. I may try some water but I wanted to see if you ladies had any tips first.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I start with tiny amounts like a 1/4t of liquid and once that's down go from there. When did she last drink and keep it down? Dehydration with babies is no joke.

3. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

At around a year I have done: water/juice mixture, straight water and when everything else fails Gatorade out of a medicine squirt syringe. I would give a full medicine squirt syringe every time the baby would take it. It really helped a lot.

4. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

Small amounts of liquids frequently are what we reccommend to patients that come to the ER. I work as a nurse. Also monitoring how often they have wet diapers. They should have 3 wet diapers in 24 hours. Also when they cry you can be sure they have tears. Those are all signs of dehydration. Our doctor always said to watch for those. If you have any doubt def. take them to the doctor. Hope they get feeling better soon!

5. Mom2VLS

Last night before bed, so 7 pm. She's not acting dehydrated yet. The only reason I even know she is sick is the throwing up. Other than that she's playing and walking around. I'll try some small amounts of liquid and maybe some light fruit as well. Thanks!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like Nanny88, Gatorade works for mine when nothing else will. I hope she is better soon.

7. Mom2VLS

Thanks, everyone. I was able to get her some milk this afternoon. I gave it to her one syringeful at a time and that seemed to help. She was able to do a normal nursing session before bed and with any luck will keep that down too. I've just never really had sick babies (for which I am eternally grateful) so this was new territory for me.

8. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

I agree with small amounts of liquid @ a time. We use watered down coconut water in a juice glass to encourage drinking when they are sick. The glass makes it appealing and the coconut water is a bit sweet and has electrolytes. Hope things are already on the upswing.