Keeping baby warm outside

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kristie75, Jan 18, 2007.

1. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

What do you do to keep your baby warm outside? Do you have a carseat cover? Do you put a coverall on the baby?

2. kristie75

What do you do to keep your baby warm outside? Do you have a carseat cover? Do you put a coverall on the baby?

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have little fleece snowsuits/buntings from Carter's for my two and a hat. If it's really cold I will put a blanket over their laps too. But we don't go out too much, ususally just to take their big sister to school. If we go out on the weekends that is what we use too.

4. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I have 2 little buntings and I throw a big receiving blanket over their carriers when I'm out in the weather. I take them off in the car though otherwise it's a huge scream-fest in the back seat. HTH!

5. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I use the little snowsuits if we're going out for a walk, but not in the car.

When the fire dept. installed our car seats they told us not to even put coats on the babies under their car seats b/c it made them less safe due to the extra slack in the harness.

We were lucky that when they were really little it was spring/summer/fall. Now I just dress them in a heavier outfit and throw their taggies over them.

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I have a heavy lined sweater from Gymboree for my son and a furry jacket from Childrens Place for my daughter...the books on my carseats don't recommend snowsuits in the carseats either

7. kristie75

I saw the warning about snowsuits which is why I was wondering what other people did. I've seen the same about Bundle Mes. Does anyone use those? Because of all the warnings I cover the babies with thick blankets in the carseats and put hats on them but it seems like there should be something better.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine were born in November, and that whole first winter we just used blankets over the carseats. We also had one carseat cover (a shower gift from someone who spaced on the fact that we were having twins, I guess), which we gave to Amy because she was smaller and it was easier to get her in & out through the zippered opening. We also warmed up the car beforehand. For walks in the stroller we put them in snowsuits, which they loathed, but they usually fell asleep pretty fast once we started moving anyway.

9. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

We have these really soft/warm covers from jj cole. - the Bundle Me. I put them in their regular outfit and then just zip up the covers when they are outside. They are super warm and they actually sweat in them - But I love them for there is no need for coats. I do put little hats on them though.

Plus, we live in Northern Michigan so it is pretty cold and snowy here! These things work wonderful!