Just wanted to share a decorating idea

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by debid, Jan 3, 2008.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Many parents use large letters on the walls to spell out their children's names. We wanted to do this but were a bit stuck on how to decorate them. After much consideration, it hit us. I bought the large letters that are primed white at JoAnn and multi packs of craft paint that complimented the room colors at Hobby Lobby. I then sent a letter and a painting kit to each of their grandparents, aunts, and uncles (who, unfortunately, all live far away) instructing them to decorate the letter any way they like with the materials provided, sign & date it, and then mail it back to me. It just happened that there were exactly the right number of letters if DH & I each did one as well. I got worried phone calls from a few of the package recipients who doubted their craft skills but with a bit of encouragement, they all participated. Not only do the boys have some very cute, creative letters, each was decorated by someone who loves them. I only had one person (great grandma) who went and bought non-matching paint for the letter and glued on a bunch of prefab decorations purchased at a craft store but she's 90-some years old so I let it slide. ;)

It occurred to me as I was answering a decorating post that I've never shared this before but it is the thing people notice first in their room and everyone comments on what a great idea it was.

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

That is so cool! Thanks for taking the time to share a great tip!!!!

3. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

That is so cool! Maybe I'll do that too. ;)

4. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

What a great idea!

In a similar vein, my aunt had everyone decorate onesies and other outfits for the girls at my baby shower. Those were some of my favorite clothes to dress the girls in since each once was made just for them by a relative. :D Now that they are in his size, Dax was actually wearing one yesterday as well.

5. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

That's such a great idea! Would you mind posting a pic?