Just shy of 11 months & still not crawling..

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by babymOmmax2, Jan 24, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I know I posted about this over a month ago, but we are less than 1 week shy of 11 months and I cant help but not be concerned. They have been scooting for months now, get up on their knees, and flop back down. I try to motivate them with different toys and sometimes cherios but they just use their arms and drag themselves to destination.. hmmm.. Anyone else have REALLY late bloomers?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 35w 1d - and they both started crawling about 10 days before their 1st b-day! In fact, Finley started about 3 days before Christmas and Sullivan started about 2 days after Christmas. Now, they are EVERYWHERE very fast!!

And once Finley started crawling within a week or two he started pulling up to a stand on everything, cruising around furniture, etc.

It seems like your babies are just about there - it is just that extra little bit of coordination to actually go somewhere. And, if they are scooting around - that does count as being mobile and it might serve its purpose for them if they are able to get to where they want to go. They just might not be very motivated to crawl! :)

It never hurts to talk to their pedi and/or call your local Early Intervention program. We had a physical therapy evaluation done - and neither of them qualified for EI services due to not crawling.

:hug: It is so hard not to worry, but I'm betting that they are just fine - just not very interested in crawling!

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I have read about plenty of late bloomers in FY. Have you mentioned it to your Ped that you are concerned?

4. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Are they able to get from one place to another? If so, I really wouldn't worry about it. They may not ever crawl in the traditional sense. Some babies don't. My girls didn't start crawling until 10 months and one didn't start sitting until 11 months. You should talk to your Ped if you are concerned though. Have you had them evaluated by early intervention? That is a free service through our school district. My girls are receiving PT services through them. Were your babies premature? That will factor in to their crawling as well.

5. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

My boys started crawling at 10m and just before 11m and they were 2m early. I really wouldn't worry ( I know easier said then done) since crawling isn't a real milestone and some kids just skip it altogether.

If they are getting up on all four and then collapsing like they can't support there weight then I would let the ped know that, other then that try not to worry they'll be moving soon enough.

Erica

6. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

I've heard that some babies never crawl and go straight to pulling up and walking, at 10 months i had one crawler and one "scootcher" we would just laugh! but he could get from point A to point B, then just before 11 months he discovered he could get on his knees and learned how to crawl....but he can't get to a sitting position from his tummy like his brother. I wouldn't hesitate to put a call into the Dr. if you are concerned...that is what they are there for. :)

7. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the encouragement! The weren't premi however. I have looked into the early intervention program and plan to contact me pedi when she gets back from vacation (seems like every other week shes out). Their able to get from one place to another.. I feel bad for their poor little knees that get all brush-burned from being dragged!