Just found out we're having twins - 6 week ultrasound

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by LMW1015, Apr 24, 2008.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I'm very excited to be posting here. We did IVF and just had our first ultrasound and they saw twins! We're very excited but of course cautious. We got pg with our first IVF last summer and m/c at 10 weeks so I'm a little nervous but hoping everything will go well this time. We were able to see both heartbeats at our 6 week ultrasound this morning and I couldn't see the screen except for when she turned it showed me the hearts flickering so I couldn't see how they were measuring. I asked my RE later and she said they were both measuring on schedule so hopefully that means they're both 6 weeks. I hope I get the "good" u/s machine for my 8 week u/s because that one prints out the measurements. Anyway - on the picture that they gave me you can only see the sac. I know she did a lot of measuring in each one and we did see the heartbeat so they must be in there!! LOL But has anyone else gotten an u/s at 6 weeks and had a hard time seeing anything inside? My picture is zoomed out pretty far so maybe that's why. I'm antsy to get to the next u/s to see my little babies better. Also, the nurse said that once we get past 10 weeks if we still have 2 then we are pretty set to have two. Has anyone else been told anything like that? This nurse kind of is very grounded and realistic and just doesn't get excited so maybe she's just trying to keep me from being disappointed. Just kind of wondering what everyone else saw at 6 weeks. I'm 6 weeks exactly today (due Dec. 18th). I'm taking it as a good sign that we were able to see the little hearts flickering. No count or hearing until the next u/s (that's normal for their office). Thanks so much! I'm excited to actually get into this pregnancy and get over being so incredibly nervous. Does that ever happen?? :)

2. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

congrats! as far as being nervous..never goes away. i remember posting on here at 8wks when we first found out and sooo worried something bad would happen. now im almost 30 weeks and im still worrying. the ladies here are great and very helpful, as well as reassuring. congrats again!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations and Welcome to TS! You will find that this is a great source of information and support!

4. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS and congratulations! Sounds like you're doing great; I think seeing the two heartbeats going strong is a great sign!
    We look forward to getting to know you.

5. kcole

kcole Well-Known Member

I couldn't see anything at our six week ultrasound! not to worry - congratulations!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations and welcome to Twinstuff! As for the early u/s, I had a hard time seeing things at 6w too. It just looked like 2 little spots.

7. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to TS! I didn't have my first u/s until about 8 weeks and they just looked like two little kidney beans.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:Clap: Congrats Lisa!! I hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy! Welcome to TS. :D

9. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hey Lisa!!

Glad to have you here! My friend had a singleton and the heartbeat was very slow at exactly 6wks, so your pregnancy thus far is looking awesome! Rest up, and remember...right at this VERY MOMENT...you ARE pregnant! with TWINS!! woo hoo!

:banana:

Ok this forum has way better smiley's than ovusoft...sorry, but it's gotta be said! haha :rotflmbo:

10. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

I don't have much else to add but that I've been nervous since we found out at 9 weeks we were expecting twins. The nervous factor definitely went up way more than when I found out I was pregnant with each of my singletons!

11. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone for the very warm welcome and reassurances!! I am very excited to get to my next u/s in 2 weeks to see much more and feel a little bit more relaxed. I've got a long way to feeling more confident but you guys definitely helped!! Thanks again!!!

12. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

I was told the same thing about Vanishing twin syndrome. Once you make it past the first trimester it stops being a threat. congratulations!

13. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

Congrats! And all good vibes your way! :banana:

14. babydrivers

babydrivers Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome!! Here's to many more ultrasounds with strong heartbeats!! :a_smil09:

15. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

Wohoooooo! My Birthday is December 18. Congrats! And :sign0016:

16. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Hooray! So happy for you, Lisa!

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I found out at 12 weeks and the ultrasound technician said they didn't like doing ultrasounds that early because you are still in danger of having a vanishing twin. Great news to hear when you just found out you were having twins! I had a u/s that early because I don't keep up with my periods and I had no idea when I got pregnant and couldn't tell them the date of my last period. I don't think the nervousness ever subsides, though. Once you make it past that milestone, there are others that you have to hit. However, there is lots of support here for you.

18. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I had my first u/s at 6 weeks and they could see 2 yolk sacs but only one heartbeat. The second heartbeat was confirmed on a better machine a week later. Good luck and welcome! This is a great place for advice and support!

19. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!!!!!! Welcome to TS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I found out at 6w4d, measuring 3 days behind (the last time they ever measured behind; LOL!), and I could clearly see 2 sacs and 2 little dots. They both had h/b's at that time (117 and 130 bpm). But it depends on the machine, the technician, it's really mm work at this point!

I was nervous too, I m/c before this pregnancy, but you have to believe in your body and these babies. There is a way higher chance that everything will be fine, then not, and the fact that you have h/b is very good news!

Congrats and welcome!

21. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :Clap: I just had a 6 week u/s and you really can't see much if it's not zoomed in a lot. Even zoomed it really just looks like a tiny bean in a huge sac on the picture. If you're seeing the heartbeats, you're already doing well. :D Congrats again!