Just found out we are expecting.....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jjhopple, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jjhopple

jjhopple New Member

I am a married 23 soon-to-be 24 year old who has identical twin girls' who are 4, a 2 year old girl and just found out this morning that I am pregnant again. Completely unexpected! I am so worried that I am going to have twins again. Either way, I am happy and thankful, (not so sure my family will be...) I was just wondering how many people out there have had another set of twins after a singleton birth.

2. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

Congrats! :)

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS!! Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

4. newboygirltwinsmom

newboygirltwinsmom Well-Known Member

I had 4 single births and then have been pg with twins 4 times since. Gl with your pregnancy.

5. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

You said that your twins are identical...so really you have no more of a chance at twins again unless you have fraternals. If you have one set of fraternals, your chance at a second set are 1 in 5. However, identicals are more of a "fluke." Congrats on your pregnancy!

6. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinzmom2b @ Jan 21 2009, 02:35 PM) [snapback]1156195[/snapback]
    You said that your twins are identical...so really you have no more of a chance at twins again unless you have fraternals. If you have one set of fraternals, your chance at a second set are 1 in 5. However, identicals are more of a "fluke." Congrats on your pregnancy!

Where does the 1 in 5 statistic come from? I'm just curious because I was researching this the other day and got mixed statistics...one place said your chances were 4x's higher and another said 1 in 350 or 3500 or some statistic completely different than I'd ever heard before...so I'm totally just curious where 1 in 5 came from.

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm pregnant with another singleton, but my mom did have 2 sets (one identical and one fraternal).

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Like a previous post said, since your girls are identical you aren't any more likely to get pregnant with twins again. There are people who have more than one set but that's just due to the sheer number of people in the world. I totally understand your feelings though. I was almost convinced that I was having quadruplets during my second pregnancy because I felt so much sicker than with my twins. :) I also waited in anticipation for that first u/s when I was most recently pregnant because I wanted to know if it was twins again or not. Congrats again!

9. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I had identical twins #5 and #6. Now I'm pregnant with my 7th child and it's just one. Congrats on your pregnancy. Let us know when you find out how many are in there :)

10. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

12. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

COngratulations