Just found out--nervous about one twin lagging.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by aelfwynn, Oct 1, 2009.

1. aelfwynn

aelfwynn Member

Hi everyone,

I just found out yesterday that I'm having twins. I was on Femara, and even though my doctor seemed surprised that I conceived twins, I kind of had a feeling, so it wasn't a big surprise to me. :)

While I'm very happy, I'm also a little concerned. While baby A was measusing perfectly at 6w3d and a heartbeat of 125, baby B was only measuring at 6w0d and had a heartbeat of 84. I have to go back next week for another ultrasound to see how baby B is doing.

I know that not all twin pregnancies develop, especially considering how early it is, but I would really appreciate any reassuring stories of one baby lagging a bit in the beginning who 'caught up' eventually.

Thanks ladies!

2. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

Completely normal in the beginning. My twins were measuring a few days apart in the early days, but that evened out fairly quickly.

3. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

My twins have been about a week apart my entire pregnancy. We didn't even get a 2nd heartbeat until 7 weeks. 3 days really isn't a huge difference so no reason to give up hope. Good luck and I hope you get great news at your next ultrasound.

4. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. Mine were different as well, and actually continued this way throughout the pregnancy (one lagging I mean.....)

5. sktwins

sktwins Member

Congrats on ur twins.no reason to worry this early abt lagging..they will even out in the future weeks or they might always have this difference but 3 days is not huge.its very common in the beginning as far as I know...All the best..

6. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your pregnancy and :welcome: to Twinstuff!!
    Sounds like the difference in A & B is pretty common early on ~
    Keep us posted on how you are doing and how your next appointment goes :)

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Same thing here. :good:

Congratulations and welcome to Twinstuff. :Clap: I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

8. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your Twin Pregnancy and Welcome to TS!! :yahoo:

9. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member

10. redenlomas

redenlomas Member

Firstly, every pregnancy is unique, and there can be variations in the growth and development of twins. It's not uncommon for one twin to lag behind in terms of size and development in the early stages. Keep in mind that early ultrasounds might have a margin of error in terms of measurements, and a slight difference in size can be within the normal range.

There are many stories of twin pregnancies where one baby initially measured smaller or had a slower heartbeat but eventually caught up and developed normally. This could be due to differences in implantation time, growth rates, or various other factors. The medical field has made significant advancements in monitoring and supporting twin pregnancies, so your doctor will be closely monitoring both babies and providing the necessary guidance.