Just found out I was expecting twins at 19 weeks...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by velise9, Feb 8, 2011.

1. velise9

velise9 Member

And I'm still in complete shock. I haven't had an ultrasound since 10 weeks when there was clearly only one baby and one sac. At our big ultrasound yesterday we learned that there are two. I still haven't heard from my doctor so I'm currently in worry mode. :) All we could really tell for sure was that one was measuring a week ahead of the other. They are for sure that the bigger baby is a boy and are pretty certain the smaller baby is a girl. So likely fraternal, I'm guessing. The tech said that the placenta or placentas (she couldn't say for certain) were together and right in front of my belly, which is why I haven't noticed as much movement as I would have otherwise.
    Anyone else not find out they were having twins until this late? What should I expect from here? TIA!!

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:eek: I'm sure that was a shock!!! :yahoo: Congratulations and Welcome to Twinstuff. :Clap: :Clap: We look forward to getting to know you... I hope your doctor gets back to you soon and puts your mind at ease. :hug:

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I found out at 24 weeks so I totally understand! You'll adapt I promise

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

:babyflips: :babyflips:

Yay!! Congrats!!

Expect things to feel exactly as they do right now for quite awhile longer, it takes a looong time for the idea of twins to sink in. It did for me, anyway. ;)

I'm sure the doctor will run through everything with you soon, but it's basically more observation than the typical pregnancy. Nothing unmanageable.

Congrats again!

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on your babies & welcome to Twinstuff!

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to TS.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I found out at 20 weeks I was expecting twins, and yeah - it's quite a shock. You will probably have more doctors appointments than you had expected, but there's no reason you can't continue to have an easy and healthy pregnancy. Twins require more nutrition than a single baby, so start upping your protein intake. I found that protein powder shakes really helped. And drink tons of water! Other than that, sit back, relax, and enjoy surprising everyone you know.

Oh - one more thought. It's not a big deal if your twins are measuring a week apart. That's totally normal, and could be that they really have a small size difference, or it could be that one twin was more difficult to measure than the other.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations! What a shock when you were only thinking of 1! But, I am sure that all will be well. Just expect some increased monitoring as your pregnancy continues. Measuring a week apart can happen for sure.. sometimes there is measurement error and/or they could just be a bit different in size. Make sure you discuss it with your doctor when you do get a hold of them :)

I knew a woman who was 3 days overdue when she found out she was having twins! That was the days before ultrasounds, and they wondered why she was measuring so big.

9. MistyP

MistyP Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! We also found out at 19 weeks :ibiggrin: Since I hadn't gained much weight (normal for me not to gain much until after 20 weeks) I really worked on increasing my protein intake. A friend sent me Dr. Luke's book on multiples, I did a ton of research on the internet and finally found Twin Stuff! Really this pregnancy had been very non eventful until 34 weeks when I started having contractions and ended up in the hospital for a few days with preterm labor.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: and Congratulations!!! Wishing you a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy!

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRTULATIONS!!!!!!

12. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Twins run in my family so I was constantly asking if it was possible I was having twins. I was told by 2 or 3 midwives that "NO, you are not big enough". My first u/s was at 20 weeks and there were two! One much smaller and sick. Both boys. Since you may be having a boy and a girl, there is nothing to worry about with their size. It's VERY normal for fraternal twins to be different sizes. If your dr. doesn't call you this morning, give him/her a call. They might not even know yet! I couldn't stand protein shakes so I drank a lot of milkshakes. :) Congrats and welcome! It will take a long time for the "twins" fact to sink in. I think it took me their entire first year!

13. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Congrats on your twins. :welcome: I found out at 18 weeks. My doctor and I had been teasing each other about twins the whole pregnacy. He said that if I had twins, he got to keep one. LOL I had the triple screen and it came back abnormal. They wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure the dates were right. This also happened with DD and included alot of un-needed drama.

The ultrasound tech told us it was twins. I was in shock. My DH just laughed and said it was a good thing we both have vans. LOL

You can expect more ultrasounds than with a singleton pregnancy and more doctor appointments. Sadly, my doctor retired right after I found out it was twins. My new doctor was also great.

14. slavila

slavila Well-Known Member

Congrats! It definitely takes awhile to wrap your head around it! Some days I still don't believe it and don't think it will really sink in until I see their little faces! It's so exciting though; enjoy this time!!

15. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Congrats first off and :youcandoit: WOOHOO. I may be in the minority here lol but we had to do IVF so we knew at 5 weeks we were having twins. Our ds always measured between 3 and 5 days ahead of dd but then at birth was only 4oz's heavier and was acually shorter by 1/4 inch lol. So I had longer than most to get used to it and I was fully prepared before hand because we had transfered 2 perfect hatching embryos. Drink LOTS more water than you ever thought you could consume, rest when you can, start making plans now as far as help and meals if you have to go on bedrest. You very well may not have to and that would be awsome but just in case you do even modified (my first round of bedrest was just resting laying down on my side 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon) its nice to have that help lined up. Enjoy it. Its like nothing else in the world. I have a singleton to and even though I LOVED being pregnant with her being pregnant with the twins was so much different. it is a great time. CONGRATS!

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Congrats and :welcome: to TS!!!

17. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff! Congrats on your twins. :Clap:

18. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: We are so glad you found us!! Congrats on your twin pregnancy!! :babyflips: :babyflips:

19. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

Congrats! And welcome! Yeah mine now at 25 weeks still measure almost a week apart now (the boy is bigger) but early on they only measured one day apart at 6& 7&13 weeks.

20. velise9

velise9 Member

Thank you everyone for your welcomes and kind words and stories! I'm getting more and more excited! :) I went to the library and stocked up on books and have been enjoying learning about my "new" pregnancy. I'm glad I found this site, it will be nice to have experienced mommas to chat with as time goes on.

My doctor got all our ultrasound stuff on Monday and I called his nurse and she said it should be fine to just wait until our appt. on monday to chat about everything. So I'm assuming things look okay, can't wait to find out more about my babes on Monday!

21. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I say consider yourself lucky. :) You missed all the worry of twins for the first 19 weeks!! I did IVF also, as another poster mentioned, and found out I was pregnant at 3w6d and found out it was twins at 5w4d. My pregnancy was LOOONNGGGGG! I felt like I was pregnant for years.

1 person likes this.
  22. velise9

velise9 Member

I haven't thought about it that way! :) It's true, I feel like I only have 3-4 months left! It does feel like it's gone by fast. I like to prepare though and this has really made me feel like panic mode has begun. I also knew something was off, as I have had more severe symptoms. I just switched doctors actually because of it. The old one kept asking if I was having panic attacks or implied that I wasn't eating enough (heart palpitations and feeling like I was passing out a lot), anything but consider that maybe I knew my own body. And I have been eating CONSTANTLY! :) Feeling really blessed that it was just twins and not something wrong in there!

23. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm glad you switched doctors! FWIW, the palpitations are very normal in a twin pregnancy. I believe it's due to the extra blood volume that you are carrying.

24. velise9

velise9 Member

I'm glad I switched as well. I just hope he handles multiples or I may end up switching again after my appt on monday.
    I only had palpitations one time, thankfully.. but can hear/feel my heart beating more readily. The weird pass out feelings I was having are what freaked me out the most! Luckily I've felt better the last week or so. :)