Just Another School Issue..

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Katheros, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I should start by saying one of my fun aspects of pregnancy is that I get very easily annoyed by really dumb stuff, I get super emotional, etc. So there is a good chance I am overreacting and I will blame my unborn child.  :D

That being said, here goes...

A month or so ago the boys came home with permission slips to do a school play but the night of the performance was on a night when they have their Jiu Jitsu class (Tues & Thurs) which I PAY a LOT for.   Plus there were costumes involved and maybe I was just feeling a little lazy at the time.. So I told them no.  Anywho, a couple weeks later was their open house at school. Up until then both of them and been halfway begging me to let them do the play.  So I go to open house, and both their teachers pretty much talk me into letting them be in the play.  Fine. Whatever.  Grrr.

So over the past few weeks, one of the boys has been saying his play is on Thursday and the other says it's on Tuesday.  I have a piece of paper that says the third grade play is on Tuesday.  They're both in the third grade, how many third grade plays can there be?  Apparently there are two.  And a twin is in each one, and they're next week.  One of them has a dress rehearsal on Tuesday morning when he also has a doctor's appointment.   Now this whole thing is just annoying me.    I don't want both of them to miss a full week of their Jiu Jitsu class, so that means my husband will have to take one kid to the class and I take the other to the play.  I know it's not that big of a deal but it just kinda irks me. 

I'm just being easily annoyed, right?  Just suck it up and deal with it right? 

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Suck it up and deal yes. Lesson learned for future yes;). That would irritate me too! Why is not all of the third grade together?

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying!  I don't get it...   and yes, I will suck it up and deal but it's going to annoy me.  :p

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would just deal with it.  It is one week out of the year, it isn't every week that they had to miss the class.  My guess is that they have 2 days because there are too many kids to have them in one play, and they want to give all the kids a chance to shine.  We make those decisions all the time.  This week my kids start basketball practice, they have practice Tues., Thurs., and Saturday.  Well, every Thurs. they have band and Boy Scouts.  I just had to tell the basketball coach, who I never met, that the boys will be missing practice #2, and will probably miss every Thurs. practice that occurs--we will make games a top priority.  Conflicts will arise, you just have to deal with them as they come.

1 person likes this.
  5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything you can do but deal with it now and ask for a full list of rehearsals, dates, and times if you ever commit again.   Maybe they can do a make up class on another day even if its a lower level, and if the doctor's appointment can't be changed maybe he won't be needed for the whole dress rehearsal.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

How many third grade classes are there?  Our former school had 9 classes of each grade, so they had to break it apart.  Sometimes I lucked out that their classes were together, and sometimes I didn't.  I always figured it would be that way with siblings in different grades anyways.

But I hear you on the hassle. My girls want to be in the winter dance recital and I just said no.  Between the costume cost, additional shoe cost, practices, and all that, I am not up for it.  We'll do the end of year recital for sure, where they get to wear the dance shoes they wear all year long!

7. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I can see how this would irritate you indeed. However I would say just deal with it this time. As someone said it isn't an every week thing. I'm guessing that they just had a lot of kiddos and needed 2 plays so everyone could have a part. Glad it will be over for you shortly.