juice/water in bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by fenwaysmom1, Nov 14, 2009.

1. fenwaysmom1

fenwaysmom1 New Member

When did you start giving juice or water in bottles along with pureed food and formula? One of my aunts told me she thinks they are not getting enough fluids - but i'm hesitant to add juice to the mix, can't find much reputable info online that supports it. Right now at 7 months, we do pureed fruits/veggies with oatmeal 3X per day and bottles 4-6 oz between. They don't always finish even the 4-6 oz of formula, but are growing well and seem happy! Thanks!

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Never. They only need milk and get their other fluids from fruit and veggies. You could give them water, only if you WANT to. Not necessary tho.

We were off bottles by 11 months and THEN you can give them wHATEVER you want in a cup. I never put anything other than formula in a bottle so I would avoid confusion.

3. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I also never put anything but formula or breastmilk in bottles. Even though the twins switched to sippies at 10.5 mos, I didn't give juice til after their first bday and even then it was VERY watered down.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our pediatrician suggested that we start practicing with the sippy cup at 6 months...I used mainly water with a splash of juice. It took my kiddos a couple of months to get the hang of the cup. Formula along with solids was primary at that time. I did not do water or juice in the bottles.

5. fenwaysmom1

fenwaysmom1 New Member

looks like my research was right, and my aunt was not...no juice for now in bottles was my gut instinct. thanks again!

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

:welcome:

Like others have said, juice isn't necessary. A little water in a cup is fine though!

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We give water in a cup, which we introduced at about 6 months. We used to give juice in a cup for constipation, but now we're using Benefiber instead.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My mom is a big pusher of juice and it gave my kids red bottoms. :( Water is great... if they've had enough milk.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never gave anything but formula in bottles. When I added water, I gave it to them in a cup, and I waited to add a bit of juice until they were quite a bit older.

10. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I didn´t give mine juice until quite late on, after their 1st birthday I think and it went into a sippy, never a bottle. Even then it got watered down. I sometimes give it to my LOs as a post-lunch treat but it´s still watered down and its a way to get liquids into then when they go off water! Before they turned one it was just milk and water.

11. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Mine are two now and still have rarely had juice. ONly water in sippy cups. I just purchased varous styles and left them. Often if there was only one they both wanted it to try. Mine have fruit so juice is not necessary.

Heather

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also don't do anything but formula/breastmilk in bottles. I do let them practice with water and a splash of juice in sippy cups but they really aren't getting more than a 1/2 oz in them, the rest is squished onto the highchair tray and onto their bibs! :lol: