Job advice update

Discussion in 'General' started by MNTwinSquared, Sep 3, 2014.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I wrote a thread awhile ago asking for opinions of my options for working this fall.  I failed miserable at the first interview and did better with an interview for a different job, but still didn't get it. 

A week or so ago the principal called me and said he thought of me for a job that came up.  (likely he was buttering me up, but anyways)  It was a 30 day assessment for special ed.  I was leery and needed time.  Special ed is not where I am the most comfortable and certainly not the job I wanted, but it would be temporary experience getter.  He gave me two days to think about it.  My mom was here when he called so I had told her about the offer. 

Later that night mom 'scolded' me for something she did not approve of (my mothering skills) and told me that I probably shouldn't take the job because I wouldn't enjoy it.  So, the very next day I called the principal back and accepted the job. 

So, I went into work yesterday to just get my badge and was asked if I was able to work that afternoon with said student.  Umm... sure.  Nothing like being thrown into the bears den!  I have today and tomorrow off and then I start working full time on Friday.  It's going to be long because it is a 30 day assessment, the shifts are from 8-3, instead of the normal morning OR afternoon shift of 4ish hours.  So, for 6 weeks I will basically be working full time.  That's going to take some getting used to and I was exhausted yesterday from working (unexpectedly) just over 2 hours. 

I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  Been waking up in the 3 or 4 O'clock hour ready for the day lately.. and so by the end of the day I am just beat.  I'm sure that will change real quick! 

Anyway, that is my update.  :)

2 people like this.
  2. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

That's grt news, it does sound like it will take some getting use to. I'm sorry your mom wasn't more supportive of you making a decision with her help. Instead she was critical of you!! I hope you adjust quickly. These early mornings for school for our oldest daughter is taking some getting use to. I have never been a morning person. Congrats on your job!!

1 person likes this.
  3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had words with your Mom, but glad it spurred you to take the job.  May not be your dream job but you'll gain experience, learn some, and, hey, its only 6 weeks, so if you really hate it you can count down the days till you'll never have to do it again!

1 person likes this.
  4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie,

Good for you!

FWIW, I don't think a principal would think to butter you up- I think they looked at a need in the school and thought of someone to fill it. YOU! You are their choice!

1 person likes this.
  5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree! Congrats and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Jackie
    Good for you - it will give you exposure, experience AND it is short term!!
    While I am sure, it will be tiring and some adjustment will be needed by every one, pls try and Njoy your work.

1 person likes this.
  7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, I am happy for you!  And you will adjust for the hours and even if this is not a permanent gig, it could turn into one or it could be great experience for something better down the line.  I wish you all the best.
    I am sorry that you had words with your Mom :hug:

1 person likes this.
  8. MNTwinSquared

Thanks everyone!  Today was my last day 'to myself' for awhile.  I have to admit I am more nervous than I care to admit.  :(  Just the unknown!  I hope I will be able to sleep tonight. 

9. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

What is unknown today will feel like normal by this time next week. You will do great.

2 people like this.
  10. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Congrats! I really hope you enjoy the job.

1 person likes this.
  11. MNTwinSquared

Ok.  My first day went fine.  It's a lot of learning.  The student's case mgr is new too, but not  new to building.  She was in preschool before this year.  There will be no 'breaks' in my day.. I'll be kept busy.  It's in a new kindergarten teacher's classroom and I think the first day was rough all around.  I am sure a routine will soon be in place.  Thanks for all the encouraging words!  They meant a lot to me.

12. MNTwinSquared

Ok, so I'm 5 weeks into this assessment.  One more week of this 6.5 hour "full-time" status... in theory.  The jobs (7 hrs split in 2) were posted last night and this morning.  I'm not going to lie.. it's been a challenge.  There has been some good days and some bad days.  When he has a good day, it's because I worked my butt off to make him successful.  On bad days I work hard and it's not a good day.  I'm learning.  Every day.   If I were his parent, he'd been held back a year. 

Now to decide whether or not I want one of those shifts.  If I were to pick one, I'd choose the morning shift.  (8-11:30)  That is 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.  It keeps me 'employed' vs being a sub who is technically not an employee.   It would gain me seniority if I were to stay.  That said, I may not get a shift.  Lots to think about.

I've enjoyed being back in that school and working with teachers I know.  I'm in a kindergarten classroom with a male teacher who is very soft spoken.  It's worked out well.

13. TP

TP Well-Known Member

All the best! Seems like you have a lot going on....When will you know? Hugs ... for me uncertainty is the worst. Once the situation is decided, I usually do a good job of adapting .......

14. kingeomer

Jackie, I wish you all the best with your decision.  I am glad the job has been going well even with some of the challenges it was presenting, it sounds like you've been doing pretty good work with the student.  Keep us posted!

15. MNTwinSquared

I had the interview this afternoon.  I suck at interviews!!!!!  Do I have to say that again.  Luckily, a half hour after I got home, I got a call on my cell phone and the principal asked me which shift I wanted.  I was the first call in other words!  Yay!  I chose morning! 

I am so relieved!  The classroom teacher was rooting for me and did give the principal his two cents about me!  I am a great employee and work my butt off.  (I just wish I could fit into a smaller size of pants because of it!)

5 people like this.
  16. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oh, Jackie! Fantastic news! Yay!!

1 person likes this.
  17. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

1 person likes this.
  18. MNTwinSquared

Thanks!  It is a challenging assignment (at times).  (afternoon being the toughest)  I have a foot in and can decide what I want to do in the Spring.  Three people applied so one person did not get the job.  It'll be interesting to see who the other person is who was hired since she will relieve me at 11:30.  I think there is a reason the principal called me to do the 30 day assessment, knowing my experience with Audrey.  I'm happy. 

19. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Congratulations!!

1 person likes this.
  20. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Wonderful ........Enjoy this new phase

1 person likes this.
  21. kingeomer

:woo: Congratulations Jackie!

1 person likes this.
  22. MNTwinSquared

Thanks again!  Turns out the next person who was offered the other shift didn't want that few of hours.  I don't know if they expected to get the entire day with the two positions posted or what. I don't really like that a shift is 3.5 hours, but that is just how they do it at this school.  It'll give me time to do stuff around the house.  I am just stoked that I got to pick my shift!

1 person likes this.
  23. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Jackie , Good that you can start slow...And the school may know that The role is too demanding for one person to do entire day.

1 person likes this.
  24. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

1 person likes this.
  25. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Yay! I'm so happy for you! I hope this leads to something else you will enjoy even more for next school year. WTG!!

1 person likes this.
  26. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I hate that schools do that.  It is a way of not having to pay benefits--from the business end, it is cheaper to employ 2 people part time, than one full time.  BUT, it is horrible educationally.  The consistency of one person setting rules and expectations ends up lacking--and these are kids that NEED consistency.  I am so proud of my local school district in that all paraprofessionals are full time--they value the education of these kids over a few bucks.  Oh, and our school is underfunded by 2 million according to the state--and that is on an $11 million budget.  So we are cut to the bone.  But the educational needs of the kids come first.  Basically, it means our kids have to share technology--no personal computers or iPads here, but the education is great, and it shows when 7 of the top 10 at the High School which is comprised of 5 sending districts come from my district year after year.

2 people like this.
  27. MNTwinSquared

Sharon, I know.  I hate it too for the kids.  They NEED and crave consistency, but they do also need to know change.  I understand not having the same paraprofessional every year, but two a day is a bit much. 

1 person likes this.
  28. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I disagree with that.  I'm a paraprofessional who works 4 hours a day by choice.  This is my 3rd year.  Every kid I have ever worked with has had an IEP that stated a 1:1 and I have always worked 1:1.   We purposely set up the schedules so that a different person is with these kids in the mornings and afternoons.  The main reason is that we have always felt that the kids can come too dependent on you.  What if I call in sick?  What if the afternoon person is sick or has to go to training?  Then there is someone already trained and familiar with that child who can step in that the child already knows and has a relationship with.  Our experience has been that having 2 different people the child knows provides that routine with a little bit of flexibility that allows for you to call in sick or go to training.

The other thing we've noticed is that with alot of the high needs kids, we need to have a fresh start in the afternoon. A new (familiar) face in the afternoon just kind of interrupts any trying behaviors of the morning.  Quite frankly, most para's I've known need a fresh start after lunch if the morning has been a difficult one.

If I call in sick, my little friend who is routine oriented to the extreme and a complete boundary pusher would just get his afternoon para all day.  If she calls in sick, I'd stay and cover her afternoon.  Both ways he has someone he already knows and he already has that relationship with.  By giving him an afternoon and a morning para, he ends up always having his needs met by someone he knows.  If I'm the only one he ever sees and knows, woe to the person who covers for me when I'm sick.

Marissa

1 person likes this.
  29. MNTwinSquared

Marissa, that is a positive if the morning person can sub for the afternoon.  It does have benefits.  I know personally, doing one 'high needs' kid all day is very trying.  Having two does give the student a different perspective and might be a benefit.  A relationship with more people like that can definitely have it's advantage.  It's all in perspective. 

30. MNTwinSquared

Today was the first day of the split shift and I have to say it was bittersweet.  I wrote up detailed sub notes for the afternoon last week.  I hope they helped.  It felt weird leaving him in the hands of a 'stranger.'  The person who got the 2nd shift was actually the 3rd person picked for the job since the 2nd one wanted more hours.  I hope it went well.  I really do!  Of course there are a few things I wished I had told her, but I left her in the capable hands of the student's case manager.  I went to the post office and mailed a package and then went home and vegged for a few hours before I started cleaning up.  I will do less vegging tomorrow!  ;)  I do really enjoy my job.

1 person likes this.
  31. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Good that you are enjoying your job .... And don't worry about the vegging yet  - you do need some unwind time .. don't try to be a super woman :)

1 person likes this.
  32. MNTwinSquared

Hmmm... totally rearranged the living room today (and cleaned).  Maybe tomorrow will be a veg day.

33. MNTwinSquared

Update:  As this school year is coming to a close, I just found out today that I flunked kindergarten.  Yep, next year I have to go back.  I don't know which classroom I'll be in but I do know the student's name who I will be with.  Unfortunately it will not be with this year's student, but that's ok, at least that is what I am telling myself.  I really enjoyed this year.  I will have a morning 8-11:30 shift again so that if needed I can sub for teachers in the afternoon.  I could go full time but I need home time as well.  This works for me.

:)  4 more days of school.

2 people like this.
  34. kingeomer

I am glad to hear that and thanks for the update, Jackie.  Your new student will be very fortunate to have you.

1 person likes this.
  35. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

That is wonderful Jackie!  Congratulations!!!

1 person likes this.