Its the last day of my 30s

Discussion in 'General' started by Leighann, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Today is the last day of my 30s.  I told my husband and my extended family that I don't want to do anything big for my birthday.  They threw me a surprise party for the big 3-0 (which I almost ruined by trying to plan my own party and ended up confusing people), but for 40 I just don't feel it.  

Its not that I'm feeling down about getting older, I just feel like a big celebration is just unnecessary.  I'll get together with family next weekend for dinner probably, and then my sister-in-law's shower is on Sunday so I'll see people there, but that is all I want- quiet birthday.  Tomorrow I'm sure DH will have to work late as usual so I made a hair cut appointment for myself and one of my girls after work (the other girlie is going to grows hers out to donate at the end of the summer :)), maybe we'll go out to dinner the three of us, and them go to the library for an earth day program.  It seems right to be at this place in my life where my birthday is less about ME ME ME and more about my family and my girls.  

Just rambling here... I don't know why.  I guess I thought I would feel more SOMETHING about 40 and its weird that I just don't.  

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday in advance Leighann! Age is nothing but a number - it's how you feel in your heart that matters :). I for one don't feel older than 23 - even if I will be 38 in July :)- and my body doesn't look like it did at 23.

It's OK to do something special for your birthday if you feel like it - or don't if you don't feel like it. If they are planning you a surprise again - just be surprised :) and enjoy it. Have fun whatever you end up doing!

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy Birthday!!!! :Clap:

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy Birthday Leighann!

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy birthday! I figure if 40 doesn't bring on a midlife crisis, then it's because you've done your 30s right.. sounds like a perfect plan to me to have a quiet time of it. Enjoy!

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy early birthday.  I hope it's nice and calm.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy early birthday!!!!!:)

8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Happy birthday! I think your plans sound perfect- time to decompress and enjoy the people you love.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Happy Birthday!

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:birthday:  Leighann!
    I was in a similar boat as you.  My family threw me a big surprise 30th birthday party.  Which was very nice and I was very surprised, especially since they had friends from out of town who came as well.  But I told my Mom and my husband that I did not want anything special for my 40th.  A nice dinner and some cake with the family was fine with me.  I can't say was thrilled about turning 40 but my in laws took me out to dinner and then I had nice little dinner on the actual day with my husband and kids and  I felt like it was the best way to ring in a new decade.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.  It was a very chill birthday, which was exactly how I wanted it.  DH surprised me with an iPad mini, and we may go out to dinner on Friday night since my parents are watching my girls overnight... Then I'll get together with extended family over the weekend.  My 20s were about becoming an adults, college and grad school and all that.  My 30s were about building a family and career. And I think my 40s will be about giving back because I have so much and I'm just so grateful for my wonderful family and friends, and fulfilling career.