It's perianal strep!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LB, Feb 25, 2008.

1. LB

LB Well-Known Member

Poor Noah...Finally my pedi decided to see Noah b/c after giving me 4 different things to try and no success it was determined that he needed to be seen...He was swabbed and found to have strep!!! So the pedi said it is probably painful to have a BM and makes sense that he is holding it in...He started him on an antibiotic.
    Now the kicker is that Aiden is showing symptoms of the same only his penis is involved and it makes sense b/c I have been bathing them together not knowing Noah had this!!!!
    Has anyone dealt with this and what was the outcome? How long did it take to go away ? Where there any long term effects?

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

T&T both got skin strep infections as a secondary to yeast in the diaper zone. They had it a week apart but the doctor said it ISN'T contagious so she was surprised that they'd both gotten it :unsure: Anyway, a round of antibiotics along with the Nystatin creme (for the yeast) fixed them right up. Trent had it come back a couple weeks later and went though a second round with a different antibiotic. No problems since. I did make a change, though, by using disposable diapers at night instead of cloth because I was worried that the longer exposure to dampness was contributing.

3. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

Wow!! Poor kiddo. I have no experience with that, I'm just happy to read that they've finally figured out what his problem is. :hug99: I hope it clears up for him very soon!

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Oh no :( Poor guy! Mine have had strep on their bottoms before. It's really common b/c they get small tears on their bottom or if they have dry skin the bacteria gets in there and grows. We used a topical antibiotic and it cleared it right up! I hope he feels better soon!

5. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

I feel so bad that you've been dealing with this for so long. Your poor little man. And poor you too for having to keep trying to get this thing taken care of. Thank heavens you got it sorted. Strep is no joke! Good luck and I'm so happy for you. What a relief.....