It's May 1st -- just signed up for swimming lessons!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debid, May 1, 2008.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'm so stinking excited that I've been watching the calendar so I could sign up on the first day. My friend told me to sign up early because they fill up fast and I obviously need two openings. I never bothered with Mommy & Me because we have a lake and I can do my own acclimating them to the water, thanks, but I want them to go to a class with other kids for the next step. It's a 2-week class, 4 days a week. I know my folks didn't take us until we were in grade school but it's available and within the budget so I figure why not.

Anyone else doing swimming lessons?

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We are, but just at the Town Pool. They might not be that good. I want to get them into real lessons with a good instructor soon. Jade, in particular because she's fearless and would just walk into a dangerous situation. Melissa, to overcome her fears and for obvious accident safety reasons.

3. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

YAY!! We have our first lesson on Saturday! I'm excited, but nervous at the same time. The boys did really well in the water last year and LOVE their nightly baths, but this might be a little frightening for them. Let us know how your kiddos do!

4. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I was hoping to start next week but the only availiable times are 9-10 and Jack and Lily (11 months) go down for their nap at 9:30. The lessons are 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week and I refuse to mess up our schedule for 5 days a week for 3 weeks straight! We are going to instead start in June when the times are more relavent to our schedule.

I hate to wait, but am very excited. They love the water in their floatie boats; however, I know they will hate being with the instructor instead of me during the lesson.

Amy

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They have to be three here, but I registered first thing the day registration opened. The pre-school classes fill up fast. My kids will be going for two weeks in July, 5 days a week. Ours is in the ocean, they used to have them in a pond, too, but they don't do that anymore.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We started with swimming lessons at around 3 1/2--mostly because Jon was in the middle of being evaluated and I wanted to make sure we didn't have speech therapy, since that would out rank swimming lessons. Like you, I skipped the mommy and me classes. Now, Jon is in a class full of kids 8-10 years old, and learning swim team skills--the teacher happens to be a HS swim team coach. Marcus is going back after a 2 month hiatus, he is at an inbetween stage, can do everything in his current level, but not ready to move up--although with this teacher, he is working to bridge the gap between the two levels.

I know they will love the classes once they get comfortable!

7. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Ours go 1x/week after preschool and 2x/month with their preschool class. They have become little fish. JJ even went snorkeling with us this week for 45 minutes, complete with mask and snorkel. :clapping:

8. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We are! Sign-ups begin next week! Hopefully we will get in! :)

9. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We've been doing swim lesson 2x a week since January. We take them at the Y - the red cross classes. We're now in Level II and they are swimming w/out any type of floatation device, putting their faces in the water and going under water, making strokes with their arms/kicking their legs, etc. They've learned a lot! They even kick down the pool using a kickboard. It's so cute! We'll stop when the pool opens this summer and take lessons there and then go back to the Y in the fall I think. I hope yours go well :)

We didn't do mommy & me lessons either b/c I didn't have 2 mommies to take to class!!!

10. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

The boys started swim lessons last April ('07) when they were 3 yrs old. They took them that entire summer weekly at the indoor YMCA pool. That coupled with swimming outside EVERYDAY last summer...and they really learned SO much! It's awesome to see them become so comfortable in the water. It also makes swimming so much fun as a family.

Like Melissa said, they learned to swim under the water, some foward stoke, swimming with a kickboard, floating on their backs, jumping off the side of the pool (no floatation devices). They even got comfortable jumping off the divingboard in the big pool and swimming to the side.

We just started weekly lessons again a couple weeks ago. They did forget some stuff and seemed alot more cautious. I was really surprised. But by the second class, they did seem closer to the level that they were last summer. Hopefully, they will learn to completely do the forward stroke and rotary breathing by the end of this summer. Their swim teacher had encouraged us to take the lessons through the winter until they got the forward stroke down pat. Once they get that squared away, she said they seem to not regress. Kind of wish we would have done that in retrospect.

11. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I haven't started with the twins yet (I will next year) but John started a few years ago and is getting really good now! He only has one bubble left! Pretty soon he will be swimming completely on his own! :yahoo: It is so much fun watching them grow and change.

12. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

That's so exciting?! I can't wait to get these girls in swimming lessons. They LOVE the water and I know they'll really enjoy it.