Is this unusual for two year olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by agolden, Aug 17, 2009.

1. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

Our summer has been totally horrible weather wise and we have just got into the pool in the last couple of weeks. I am shocked by my boys'....bravery?....talent?.....I don't know what to call it. They jump in the pool over and over again from the edge, they love ducking under the water, they will swim with their heads under the water, Elias will actually dive head first into the water from the edge (which I'm scared to do) and he also did a kind of somersault and everybody froze because they thought it was going to end very badly but he came back up all happy and proud of himself. Our wading pool is attached to a regular size pool and Ezra watches the big kids go off the diving boards and he imitates them jumping off the side of the wading pool. He has figured out how to twist himself around 180 degrees and land on his feet in the water facing the other way.

Is this something I should be nurturing? Should I put them in lessons? The best school around has a class for kids 6 months to 3.5 years but my boys are already doing everything that they teach so should I do private lessons (semi-private I guess for the two of them) or should I just let them play and have fun.

The one story that keeps haunting me is a neighbour's kid who loved the water and the next year was terrified of it. I figure if I keep them swimming all year around that won't happen.

I don't know. Am I just being an overly proud momma or is this some kind of innate talent I should do something with?

2. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

:lol: Maybe somewhere in between. If they love the water, then lessons sound like a great idea! But, my kids have been little fish since they were a year old and, if I'd let them, would do all these things, too (our pool is above-ground and there is no safe place to jump from). Some kids just naturally take to the water. You may also want to reign them in a bit, too. Like you said, the flip could have turned out very badly and he could have been seriously injured. I don't think nurturing a fear of the water is smart, but instilling a respect for the dangers could save their lives!

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I think lessons sound great to keep them engaged with the water, and also to help them learn how to engage with it appropriately. Sounds like they are being creative and having fun, which is awesome... but I had a pool as a kid and was seriously injured (broken nose multiple times, a concussion) diving off the edge and doing somersaults and twirls despite being a champion level swimmer. Maybe if they learn more skills and fun things to do IN the water that will be good for everyone! That is not to criticize the fun they are having now - please don't take it that way at all. I just had some bad flashbacks to ER visits when I was having the same kind of fun as a kid! Sounds like you have a couple of little fish!! :good:

4. reggs55

reggs55 Well-Known Member

Wow! Your kids do have unusual talent and courage, in my opinion. After a week at the beach my almost 2 year olds are really good at just WALKING in the water. They will put their faces in and blow bubbles. And my 3 year old just started to jump into the baby pool. She won't put her head in or anything. So enjoy the fun they have in the water, and sure, encourage it!

5. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Lessons! They need to know the skills to save themselves if they fall/jump into deep water. My C started lessons at 9 months (learning to go into float). Since she was often in the water playing, she had NO fear. She is just like what you describe. At 1.5 years her jumping into the pool non stop really scared me (even though I knew she could swim and go into float). Now at 2 (almost 3) she doesn't scare me very much, swims underwater great, and floats. I feel the lesson we used with ISR Infant Swimwere the best thing inregards to swimming for all three of my girls. JMO.