Is Pepcid AC original strength ok to take for acid reflux while preggo?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kitkat72783, Feb 12, 2009.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

Is Pepcid AC original strength ok to take for acid reflux while pregnant? Tums just arnt working for me anymore plus the taste makes me want to gag everytime I put it in my mouth....Ugh.

2. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I had horrible heartburn and was only taking tums until I was hospitalized at 21 weeks and they gave me pepcid. I took it everyday from then on, until I delivered. So, yes would be the answer.

3. dutree123

dutree123 Well-Known Member

One night I thought that I was having a mild heart-attack..and come to find out I was having heartburn-I was told to take tums or that zantac was o.k to take. I felt comfortable taking tums...and you are right it took forever for those tums to work.But I learned that staying away from certain foods such as spicy food, onions, tomatoes, certain acidity juices and fruit, and other foods that trigger the heart burns. Also, to let my food digest before lying down- I learned that normally the stomach closes shut after we digest our foods-but what happens is that the stomach doesn't shut all the way causing the acids to shoot straight back up the esophagus causing that burning sensation in the chest area and throat.Well that information encouraged me to stay away from those foods and to let my food digest-and if I think that something may cause the heartburn to flair up-take a couple of tums before the meal or take a couple right before bedtime-This actually helped me and I haven't had heartburn since.Good Luck!And do whatever you have to do to stay away from unnessasary medication.

4. zndsmom

zndsmom Well-Known Member

I had hand surgery the week before I delivered, and the pain meds and/or antibiotics gave me gastritis. The doctor put me on Pepcid AC, and told me it was safe during pregnancy. However, in the interest of safety, I'd call your OB's advice nurse just to be sure.

5. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I have been taking pepsid since ummm 8 weeks into my pg. I've never had heart burn then it was so bad it took over my whole day. I flux between 1-2 tabs a day depending on how bad. Tums did not work for me so OB told me about pepsid! I have had a super easy pg in terms of no complications. Good luck to you!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pepcid, zantac and prilosec are all safe to try. When none of those worked for me I was put on prescription prevacid with my daughter, and prescription nexium this time!

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Pepcid has been a lifesaver - just doublecheck with your doc or nurse, but I take one every 12 hours as directed and when I forget I get heartburn, when I take it...nada!