Is it rude to register for your second (and third) baby?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by msamoyedny, May 10, 2008.

1. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

I am having a dilema. Is it rude to assume people will buy you gifts or that you will have another baby shower for your second baby? I never would have thought of registering for just a second baby, but now it is baby 2 and baby 3 and I need double of everything. My sister in law keeps mentioning that I might be having a shower. She said if they are two girls it would be a big shower, but I'll have something small if it is two boys since I already have boy clothes. If I don't know for sure if I am having a shower, I don't want to register and everyone think I'm looking for gifts. However, the point of me having another shower would be that I need double of a lot of items and no one will know what I need double of unless I tell them. For instance, I am borrowing a swing and infant car seat from a friend, but I do need another pack and play and larger car seats, etc. What do you think I should do? Am I being greedy?

2. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

I dont think so. I was recently invited to a shower for someone who is having her 3rd baby. She already has 1 boy and 1 girl. :)

3. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

Heck no!!! I got rid of EVERYTHING from DD1. As me and her father were not having anymore children. Well things didnt work out (and i married DH).. and i ended up with these 2. I registered.. But we bought most everything ourselves. I really didnt expect anything. I didnt have a baby shower either.. I dont have many friends to throw one and my SIL lives in another state. ;)

4. scolesrn

scolesrn Well-Known Member

Go ahead and register...whether you have a shower or not (depending on where you register) you'll get a discount on anything that wasn't bought on your registry...every little dicount helps when you're buying for two! And good for you if you get a shower...every life should be celebrated whether you get gifts or not!

5. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I had a baby shower for my first and then for the twins. It was given by my best friend from college - another twin mom :D who also had an older singleton. I would just register for a wide range of things $$ wise. Don't feel guilty having a second shower - Everyone will be excited and remember - a shower is as much about celebrating the babies as it is the loot. If you put a wide $$ range, guest can get whatever they are comfortable with. BTW, I also know several moms that have had showers with the second singleton, even if the oldest was only 2 or 3

6. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

My twins were my second/third pregnancy. I think second showers are more common now days. And with twins, most people want to give gifts, because even if you have one of some things already, you need a second swing, high chair, etc. My friends all pitched in and got me matching car seats, stroller, high chair (second one), second bouncy, second swing, etc. It was amazing how many people want to help contribute. Go head and register. Then if someone asked you can tell them.

7. My sister threw me a shower for my 2nd and 3rd kids (all i have are girls) and I got everything I needed on my registery. Its better to register just in case!!

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think you're being greedy. For one thing, it was your SIL's idea to throw you a shower. But in any case, I think everyone understands that if you're having twins, you need more stuff. You can't just reuse the gear from your first child.

9. Gumberly

Gumberly Well-Known Member

I had a second shower and everyone was great full for the registry because they could see exactly what I needed.

10. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]I wouldn't say that's rude at all ~ especially since you SIL brought up the possibility of a shower. Most people are very thankful/grateful to have a list to choose from.

I knew that I would be having two showers, one at home with close family and friends and another at work with all the gals from school and students parents. I registered of course ~ although it was more for my sanity then anything else. I went through and registered for everything I thought I would need/want. That way I would have a list of what I needed to get right before or after the lil ones were here.

April :)
    [/SIZE]

11. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

I never knew it was against the rules to have a second shower until I started going to chat boards. It's very common in my area. And especially if you are having twins, you are right, you will need more stuff! If you have another shower you should register. People like knowing what you need. If you don't have another shower, I think you should still register. Like another poster said, you get the discount. I put stuff on there like furniture just to get the discount, I didn't expect anyone to actually buy it for us. Plus if anyone says they want to get you something and want to know what you need, you can refer them to the registry. No one else will know you have a registry unless you tell them so it's not like they'll be talking about it behind your back. Have fun!

Jen

12. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a baby shower for ALL five of my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (More than one for the first two pregnancies!)

13. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

oh i would register. it sounds like your SIL is telling you to register because you are having a shower so do it. Hey why don't you take her with you? i am going to a baby shower for my cousin who already has a girl and is now having a boy. why should the second child get jipped?

14. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone! I forgot about the discount you get on the left over registry items. That alone is worth it! I'm definitely registering.

15. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I registered! I had a boy, but he was eight so everything was long gone that I had for him. Plus, we were having girls so I had absolutely nothing!! It was like starting all over.

16. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I don't think it's rude - I think it's practical. You'll need more things and your family and friends will want to help you.