Intro and some photos

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Ellen Barr, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Hi! I never really formally introduced myself in to this forum.

My name is Ellen. My boys, Sam and Kiko just turned 6 and started Kindergarten last month. Here are some photos of their last few weeks: S&K's website

This is a slower forum than the 1-5, which I'm kind of excited about :)

:wavey:

2. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I haven't been on here in a long time, your boys have really grown! They are adorable! How are they liking Kindergarten?

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Ellen, they are two of the cutest little surfer dudes ever!! Cute, cute, cute. And welcome (an official welcome) to the 6-12 forum. :D

4. Ellen Barr

Hi Chelsea :) Thanks Kim :)

My boys are really loving Kindergarten. Sam's kind of struggling with the homework part of it. Kiko will sit down when he gets home and finish it off, but Sam cries and moans and spreads it out over several sit-downs. It's the idea of it, more than the actual homework, but it's interesting how differently they are dealing with it.

Other than that, they are very happy about making new friends and riding the bus (the favorite part of the whole thing).

5. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Ellen, The pictures are just fantastic! OMIGOSH!

I LOVE the one of hte two boys resting on the rock (the last one), though probably that excellent one of Kiko in the rock crevice with the light pouring down on him could win a prize! How good that your boys are learning how to climb and are spending so much time out in the wilderness liike that. Just fantastic pictures, thanks so much for sharing htem!

Oops...so excited about the wonderful photos, I nearly forgot to say how handsome Sam and Kiko actually are! :D :D

6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Ellen, those pictures are incredible! Your boys are so handsome and getting so big, and the quality of the pics are just amazing! Wow, is all I can say.

7. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

:(( The page didn't load for me!! I wanted to see Sam and Kiko, the cutest little surfer men in CA!!

Oh, we hope you'll still visit us in 1-5 :D

8. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen :wavey: ,
    the pictures are amazing - your boys are absolutely adorable and getting really big!
    Kindergarten is such a great year - I am sure your boys will love it!

9. Ellen Barr

Thanks all! There is something about the desert light in Joshua Tree -- I have this little point and shoot camera, but the photos I take there all seem to come out amazingly well!

I'm sorry the page won't load for you, Diane. I don't know what the problem could be :(

Anna! :wavey: Is Dina in college now? :eek: And how are Ethan and Isaac? Speaking of big, they must be huge. Have you been on any exotic vacations?

The boys had their first soccer practice this afternoon. Between that and Kindergarten, they are wiped out!!

10. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Ellen, I love when you share photos! :banana: They're wonderful!

My boys are still 5, but they're also in K, and since Jackson is 6-12, I moved over here, too. :)

11. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

Were those leopard print knee patches I saw? Just curious if the leopard print pants live on ;)

12. Ellen Barr

Yeah Amy's here too!! :) Jackson is 6 1/2 already! Wow.

Renald, Kiko does still wear his leopard pants. He has two pairs that fit him right now, and he still loves them. But, he also wears other pants now. Over the past year he's added a couple pairs of velour pants that he picked out, and then this summer started wearing his brother's jeans.

When we go to Joshua Tree, I make them wear some older pairs of pants (the ones with the leopard patches) and/or thick canvas pants that they don't like so much, only because the rock there is so sharp. It just eats right through the seat of their pants. So, I won't let Kiko wear his leopard pants when we are camping, since they are pretty pricey to replace (and getting harder to find on ebay).

13. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Nifty @ Oct 3 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]434568[/snapback]
    I LOVE the one of the two boys resting on the rock (the last one)

That one is my absolute favorite, too. :wub:

I visit this forum from time to time, even though my kiddos aren't six, yet. :D Just a few more months, and we'll be "official."

14. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Oct 4 2007, 02:25 AM) [snapback]435035[/snapback]
    Thanks all! There is something about the desert light in Joshua Tree -- I have this little point and shoot camera, but the photos I take there all seem to come out amazingly well!

I'm sorry the page won't load for you, Diane. I don't know what the problem could be :(

Anna! :wavey: Is Dina in college now? :eek: And how are Ethan and Isaac? Speaking of big, they must be huge. Have you been on any exotic vacations?

The boys had their first soccer practice this afternoon. Between that and Kindergarten, they are wiped out!!

Hi Ellen,
    Nope, Dina is a junor in high school and turned 16 yesterday :blink: . She is in a new high school this year - we moved 2 hours away from Chicago for Vitaliy's new job - so right now I have 8 girls from Chicago ( her old friends) visiting our house for Dina's Birthday .
    Ethan and Isaac are almost 7 and going to the first grade. I know what you mean by running around between school, sport practices and music lessons. The boys play soccer, take Taewkwando lessons + Ethan plays an electric guitar ( he dreamed about it since he was 2) - so they are pretty wiped by the end of the day too.
    We did not do any exotic vacations since our trip to Israel last year. We did go on a few small trip and will be leaving to go to Disney world on Tuesday. You are so good about taking your family out for all these adventures!
    It's nice "seeing" you around again!

15. danette

danette Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen - I haven't been on here in a while either, your guys have grown! Mine turned 6 this last summer. Just thought I'd say hi :)

16. Ellen Barr

Hi Danette :wavey: Your boys are gorgeous -- all of them! ETA: Danette, I just watched your video. Amazing. And so nice to see so many photos of your beautiful boys. I can imagine you don't have a lot of extra time to hang out on TS, but it's really nice to see you and I would love to hear more about you and your family's journey.

It's so nice to catch up a bit with everyone! Though it really kind of makes my heart seize up a little bit to realize how old our kids are getting....

17. bu2full

bu2full Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen,
    I always LOVE looking at your wonderful photos. You are very gifted with a camera. Looking at your pictures I just have to ask do you ever freak out or get scared with the things your boys do? I wish I could be more relaxed and not worry so much about my kids trying new things (getting hurt). Years ago a saw a picture on your website where the boys were climbing a baseball field fence. I try and think of that photo when I over react to my kids trying new things they "could" get hurt doing. It just makes me remember I have to allow them to try stuff.

18. Ellen Barr

bu2full, I do get freaked out sometimes! Though it may not always look like it to other people, or in the photos, my boys really do have a healthy sense of caution. They work up to things a little bit at a time, not going any further until they feel very confident. And they are strong, super-coordinated kids.

My mom always insisted on safety, being prepared and knowledgeable about whatever it was we wanted to try. I think that lesson in personal responsibility has really served me well, and I try to pass it on to my boys. They can do things, but they have to do them safely, and learn to do it right, etc. If they aren't willing to do those things, they can't do the activity.

But, yes, I do still worry. No matter how diligent you are, no matter how careful, accidents happen, and that terrifies me. The thing I fear the most? Cars. My boys can be the most careful people in the world, and some distracted driver could still run them over. There are days I want to keep them in the house and not let them go outside...

You know, some wise parent on TS, years ago recommended saying "yes with caveats rather than no outright". That was when my boys were under 2 and wanted to do anything and everything that was off limits. For instance, playing with the scissors. The mom recommended that, instead of saying no over and over and over, that I say, "Yes, but only with mommy's help". And, it worked like a charm! We spent about 10 minutes using the scissors together a couple days in a row, and then they completely lost interest in the scissors. If I'd continued saying "no", their allure would have only continued to grow. That was a big lesson for me -- to learn how to say yes to my boys natural curiosity and enthusiasm.

Gotta go, I'm being requested in a game of Battleship! :)

19. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

Glad to have you in the 6-12 forum, and the pics of your boys are just amazing, wow is all I can say and Sam & Keeler and just so darn handosme :D :D

20. bu2full

bu2full Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen,
    Thanks for the good advise. Good to know you do get freaked out. I thought you might have some super human powers:) Well, obviously you have super human powers with a camera :icon_biggrin:

21. all4megan_kayleigh

all4megan_kayleigh Well-Known Member

Ellen,

I don't belong in this forum yet but I did want to tell you that your pics are breath taking and your boys are so handsome. Looking at the pictures did make my hands sweat though, lol! I am terrified of heights!

22. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

Hi Ellen, nice to meet you! ;) Sorry I'm so late in joining this thread, but wanted to say how great those pictures of your boys are. I can't believe how big they are getting. Here yours are just starting elementary school and mine are in their last year. :eek: :( It's great to have you (and Sam & Kiko) as part of this forum.

23. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

Ellen, I always LOVE to see pics of your boys and the amazing outings you do as a family. You're an inspiration. My kids and I also love watching your movies! Your boys are so adorable!

Just curious. On my screen here at the top of this page it says this is for ages 5-11. Underneath it says it's for ages 6-12. Is this a typo? I'm assuming from previous posts that it is for 6-12. My twins will be 6 in one month. Wow! Time flies. I'm sure it doesn't matter but I was just curious.

24. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessed momma @ Nov 5 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]483178[/snapback]
    Ellen, I always LOVE to see pics of your boys and the amazing outings you do as a family. You're an inspiration. My kids and I also love watching your movies! Your boys are so adorable!

Just curious. On my screen here at the top of this page it says this is for ages 5-11. Underneath it says it's for ages 6-12. Is this a typo? I'm assuming from previous posts that it is for 6-12. My twins will be 6 in one month. Wow! Time flies. I'm sure it doesn't matter but I was just curious.

The forum used to be labeled 6-12, but was recently changed to 5-11. The part under the heading about the "Age 6-12 Forum and Moderators" just hasn't been updated yet. Several of the forums' age ranges changed at that same time.

25. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that for me Jennifer. I guess I haven't been on here since before the change. It's been a while. :blush: