Intro--and a questions for moms of girls

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ShannonSto, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ShannonSto

ShannonSto Member

Hi! My name's Shannon, and I have 12 month old fraternal girls. I've been reading the forums for a while but I haven't posted since, I think, early in my pregnancy.

Anyway, I'm curious how other mommies keep hair accessories in. My baby with the most hair is Anna. I can put a clip in hair and distract her for a minute and she forgets it's there. The problem is that her sister Erin immediately tackles her and pulls it out. Seems like a choking hazard as well. Is there any remedy for this, or do I have to just wait until they're older?

Shannon
    SMC to Anna and Erin, born 12/10/08 at 35 weeks 6 days

2. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

We have the exact same problem here. If they know that I put them in, they have it out of their hair in a matter of seconds. However, if I can distract them, they don't realize I've put it in. Good luck with finding a solution. I'm sure as they get older, they'll probably leave them in.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

It wasn't until my girls were around 2 before they would keep a hairbow or barrette in. I have to say, though, that even now at almost 4 they will pull them out after wearing them for an hour or so. My girls just don't care for them all that much.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

:woo: Another FL twin mommy! :welcome:

I think you will just have to wait until they are older. Hannah was never really into clips, and Emma is just now starting to be able to wear them(she's hair challenged :lol: ), but only leaves them in for a short time.

5. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

Yep - wait until older. You could maybe do a ponytail if they sit still for you, but barettes, not so much. My 3 1/2 yr old will leave a barette in for about 1/2 a day, so we do ponytails all the time as she doesn't mess with them.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I never bothered... I just cut bangs when her hair got too long.

7. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

My girls finally allow me to put their hair up in a half-ponytail, but that's it...forget those cute barretts and things like that. I'm dying for the day they'll let me do that.

8. ibcheryl

ibcheryl Member

I have one with TONS of hair that kept hairbows in from about 7 months until 14 months, now her sister yanks them out ASAP, or she does. I will be glad when this is over, she looks like a sheepdog. :(

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

My girls won't leave barrettes in and they won't stay in (fine hair) even if they would leave them alone. I use those tiny little elastics to put pony tails in, but that's the most we can do. They usually look ridiculous, but I'm not ready to cut their hair and Karina has such a horrible cowlick that I can't cut her bangs anyway.

ETA: See my profile pic. :)

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think you're going to have to wait until they are older. I loved putting bows and hats on my girls the first year! Then I had to stop the second year b/c they just wouldn't leave them alone. The good news is that now that they are 2 I can sometimes put barrettes and pony tails in their hair again. I just have to talk them into it or promise them a trip outside or a treat first.

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I always worried about the choking hazard too! I have b/g twins. I did buy the disposable pony tail holders to try out... just haven't yet. and not sure if my girl has enough hair for those anyway.

12. narezo0805

narezo0805 Active Member

That's why I put the BIG bows in their hair! I always say "OH HOW PRETTY YOU LOOK" and they get a kick out of it. They leave them in for a while and then toss them, so I am constantly putting them back in. Sophia leaves hers on longer than Isabella!!

Hopefully they will eventually get used to them. And I too am waiting impatiently for the say I can braid and curl their hair!!

13. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I do ponytails as well. I find the cheap, disposable elastics work best. They can't seem to pull them out as easy.

14. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

since i started making the cute bows,barrettes and things for my business; my girls have been my "models" since 6 months of age:) they are 18 months old now and i can put the tiny elastics in first-then add one of my clips in over top of it-for the most part it stays put in thier hair and they dont seem to mind-even the jingle bells i made:laughing: i also make crochet hats and headbands and they were great til recently now they both just yank them out :rolleyes:

15. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

Up until recently my girls would NOT keep clips or anything in!! Now, I an get away with the ones that fold down and stay in place- I hope you know which ones I mean. I have some really cute clips covered in ribbon, but I have a feeling they would take those out.

16. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

So far, I've been having luck with the little rubberbands (the soft ones, not the rubber ones) and the no slip (rubbery inside) clips. I always take them out at nap time though.

17. suzrod

suzrod Well-Known Member

Hi Shannon,
    Both of my girls have a lot of hair so they've been wearing barrettes for a long time. They are almost 2 so they love wearing them now and keep them in but there was a time that they did exactly what your girls are doing, taking them out of each others' hair. I bought a pack of the tiny rubber bands that are "ouchless." I just gathered up their bangs and put the ponytail on top of their heads. It worked great. Some times I still do a pony tail in their hair, especially when they have runny noses! It keeps their hair out of their face. Hope this helps.

18. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I gave up on barrettes in favor of the Pebbles ponytail early in the second year. My DD is now, at almost 2, to the point where she will leave a barrette in. I make a big fuss about how pretty she looks with her barrette in.

19. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

Kelsey ALWAYS has a hairbow in. She has atleast 50 boutique style bows...okay yeah so I got a bit obsessed LOL...I twist the hair she has ontop backwards and clip the bow into hold the hair back. Keeps the bow from coming out.

Looks like this Kelsey's Birthday Bow

20. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to keep barrettes in. We do use the no slip grip ponytail holders though. So far, DD has not been able to get those out.

21. ShannonSto

ShannonSto Member

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad it's not just my girls who pull them out of each others' hair. :) It seems to be universal at this age.

The little elastic pony tail holders seem to be doing the trick. They look kind of silly with the little sprig of hair standing straight up on their heads, but it's so silly, it 's cute, LOL.