intense left hip & pelvic pain

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jessietrio, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

Today I am 26 weeks with 2 gorgeous baby girls. After I woke up this past Monday, totally out of left field, my left hip and pelvis are in excruciating pain [...like my hip dislocated]. So painful that I can barely bear weight with my left leg alone and walking has become a ridiculous luxury [not to mention putting on underwear, getting out of bed, sitting, life, etc.].

My OB says that it is from large amounts of relaxin and other hormones early in pregnancy and that decreasing activity and physical therapy for the rest of pregnancy is the solution. Tylenol, back-brace and chiropractic have helped this week, but everything positive I do during the day seems to get 'undone' at night while I sleep.

Has anyone experienced this and have a good story to share?? TIA! :blink:

2. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Yep I am familiar with this. I was hobbling around to the bathroom in the middle of the night and often with my joints unexpectedly (and painfully) trying to give out from under me many times during my third trimester. I personally found that not overdoing, but also keeping moving a bit was helpful. It was worst when I'd been in bed or laying/sitting around for a long time and then I'd first try to get up and walk around. Of course then again it also got worse once I'd been walking or moving around for a while so it's a fine line. I was really terrified that at some point I wouldn't even be able to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but I think through mostly my own determination I managed to stay focused and positive and I worked through the pain and discomfort that I had while pregnant.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had this, too.

What I found helpful was the following:

- Sleeping with a body pillow between my legs.
    - Chiropractic care every 2 weeks.
    - DH rubbing my hip.
    - Floating in the water (I can't call it swimming). :laughing: Also, many, many, MANY baths.

I can totally relate with the underwear thing. I could barely lift my foot to put my underwear on and would cry when getting dressed. :hug:

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had thje sdame thing, being on bedrest didn't help me either. I agree with the PPs. I spent my last 8 weeks sleeping in the lazy boy. I found I wasnt in as much pain in the morning.

5. mommaoffour_ohmy

mommaoffour_ohmy Well-Known Member

I have this really bad hip pain too... ugh, the body pillow almost makes it worse, its only at night that I really have issues, but its an off and on thing, I havent been able to pinpoint what helps or makes it worse,,, so I will stalk to see what others have to say :laughing:

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a really soft mattress- one thing that helped that I forgot earlier was using an air mattress to sleep on. Not a 1 inch rinky-dink one, but like a $50 one that is about 2 feet off the floor. It took pressure off all my joints. I would lay on it/sleep on it all day then at night depending on how I felt go into our bed.

7. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great advice.

We met with the MFM today and had an US which showed Baby A to be SUPER lodged WAAAAAy down in my left pelvic region...so lodged that they had a difficult time getting an accurate head circumference. Baby A appears to love and prefer this region of my body while Baby B has free range to explore elsewhere.

I love knowing that I am not alone in this and that it will not last forever [just for the duration of pregnacy!!!]. So thanks so much for responses ladies. Pain sucks. K2daho - I am also determined to stay focused and positive. And Cheeze - I tried the water floating via big bath which was fantastic as long as I remembered to NOT float and land in a sitting position. OUch. I am going to try the 2 foot inflatable mattress as well.

What a funny living documentary this twins pregnancy experience has been!

8. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Massages.

Keeping moving (sitting in the car was awful).

Also try yoga stretches (google pregnancy yoga) or inversions (I would put my knees on the bed, and my hands on a stool about 8-10 " lower. If possible, I would go to my elbows. If you have a one step drop in your house (i.e. a sunken living room) you could use it.