Infant bath tub or two bath seats? A few shopping questions...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kitkat72783, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

I have started my registry at babies~r~us=), Me and my mom are the main ones buying off it right now because we're still early at 13 weeks but I just wanted an organized list of what I bought and what I need and once I hit the 2nd trimester I figured it wasnt that strange to register=) so I have some questions

Are you guys getting the one infant tub and doing bath time seprate or getting two infant bath seats for the bath tub and doing them together? Just curious which you think will be easier (I also have a three year old so I'm hoping bath time doesnt become a three hour process=)

Have you found any places that have cute twins clothes (dressy outfits for outings and stuff) any boy/girls outfits?

I really wanted to use my glider cradle I had with my son with the babies because it was nice with him in the middle of the night, sit up in bed and he's right there (no funbling around) kept the cooler/bottle warmer on the night stand with some diapers and wake up calls were a sinch, question is do I need two, my son stayed in it for about 5 months so its a good size, and my aunt (mom of 21 yr old twins) says its good to keep them together so she had them both in a bassinet together, she said two 5 pound babies is like on 10 pounder and your son was 9lbs. But I'm thinking they'll waik eachother up. What are you guys planning as far as sleep in the beginning *(besides not getting much...LOL)

Dressers....I was thinking two cribs, and one changing table and dresser (we have a small nursery area) but now thinking about it, is that enough space for both babies clothes and stuff?, the changing table has two shelves which I put baskets in and a smaller drawer for all the ointments and squizzy things.

I wont be buying this untill later (I find out the sexes for sure in 4 weeks) but I have a feeling its boy/girl, if this is true how are you guys making it gender nutral? I was looking for a bedding theme that maybe was offered in blue and pink or something like that but no luck thus far. I know I'll want pinky stuff for my little girl (if I have one) and so then blue for the boy but is that possible, I dont know if it could be tied together?

Matresses run between $40 and $400 so what exactly am I looking for, I know with my son I was mainly worried about firmness (scared to death of sids) but is that all thats important, I spent $90 on my sons sealy and he is still going on 4 using it in his race car bed so is it better to invest or are they all the same?

Preemie clothes....Did you buy any just in case or wait and if you need them run out? I hate buying them if I dont need them but I cant imagine running to the store after having two babies weather there home or in the NICU who has time for that?

For the mom's with another small child, what are you driving? I will be in need of a different car as the back seat in my small car has the bump in the middle so there's no way of three kids being back there, I am only 25 and hate the idea of a mini van...LOL. What works for you? are there any 4 door cars that are ok with two carseats and a booster in the back or do I need an SUV?

Thousands of questions stirring....Sorry...LOL

Thank You

2. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

Hi my name is Heather and I am about 19 weeks and some change. Wow you have your stuff together. I really havent done much yet. Our twins our IVF and I think I am still in a daze about being pregnant. I have a 12 year old son and it has taken so long to get pregnant. We are having boy/girl twins as well and I am over the moon with this. The bedding has been a problem since they will be sharing a small room. i of course can not imagine not having pink in that room so I am working on getting both colors in there. I have yet to decide on bedding and colors yet, however you may want to look at the JC Pennys catalog. They have I thing three coordinating boy/girl bedding sets. They are fairly plain, meaning there arent bears or any other animals or stuff on them. I was also thinking of a cowboy/cowgirl theme, but cant seem to find anything i like.

I have purchased 2 cribs an amoire and a large changing table that can be used later by removing the rails. There is only one small closet in the room and I am going to remove the door and install a curtain to make the room look bigger and hopefully not have the furniture overpower the room(if that is possibe,lol).
    I have no idea about your other questions, I have not registed yet and have not given it much thought yet, but now that the holidays are over and I am half way through my pregnancy it is time to get this ball rolling.
    Good luck to you!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Are you guys getting the one infant tub and doing bath time seprate or getting two infant bath seats for the bath tub and doing them together? Just curious which you think will be easier (I also have a three year old so I'm hoping bath time doesnt become a three hour process=)
    I used one tub, never needed another because there was no way I could give two a bath at the same time until they were able to sit up on their own, which by that time they are too big for an infant tub.

Have you found any places that have cute twins clothes (dressy outfits for outings and stuff) any boy/girls outfits?
    Children's place, Gymboree, many department stores (even Walmart) have coordinating outfits for both boys and girls

I really wanted to use my glider cradle I had with my son with the babies because it was nice with him in the middle of the night, sit up in bed and he's right there (no funbling around) kept the cooler/bottle warmer on the night stand with some diapers and wake up calls were a sinch, question is do I need two, my son stayed in it for about 5 months so its a good size, and my aunt (mom of 21 yr old twins) says its good to keep them together so she had them both in a bassinet together, she said two 5 pound babies is like on 10 pounder and your son was 9lbs. But I'm thinking they'll waik eachother up. What are you guys planning as far as sleep in the beginning *(besides not getting much...LOL)
    My girls were in the same crib together until they started rolling over on top of each other--so for several months. I would think one cradle will do. They won't wake each other up enough for it to be a problem until they get older.

Dressers....I was thinking two cribs, and one changing table and dresser (we have a small nursery area) but now thinking about it, is that enough space for both babies clothes and stuff?, the changing table has two shelves which I put baskets in and a smaller drawer for all the ointments and squizzy things.
    I had one dresser and two cribs. My changing table wasn't even in the bedroom, we kept it in the living room because that is where we stayed the majority of the time. I didn't have an actual "changing table", I had a pack-n-play that had a changing station with it, and it worked great for us.

I wont be buying this untill later (I find out the sexes for sure in 4 weeks) but I have a feeling its boy/girl, if this is true how are you guys making it gender nutral? I was looking for a bedding theme that maybe was offered in blue and pink or something like that but no luck thus far. I know I'll want pinky stuff for my little girl (if I have one) and so then blue for the boy but is that possible, I dont know if it could be tied together?
    If you look on the net--especially pottery barn kids--you can find coordinating bedsets for boys and girls.

Matresses run between $40 and $400 so what exactly am I looking for, I know with my son I was mainly worried about firmness (scared to death of sids) but is that all thats important, I spent $90 on my sons sealy and he is still going on 4 using it in his race car bed so is it better to invest or are they all the same?
    I'm sure opinions will differ on this, but I had two mattresses, one was a sealy and one was just a regular mattress. Both of my girls did fine on whichever one we put them on. It's mainly what you feel comfortable with.

Preemie clothes....Did you buy any just in case or wait and if you need them run out? I hate buying them if I dont need them but I cant imagine running to the store after having two babies weather there home or in the NICU who has time for that?
    Most twins are born early, so a couple of sets of preemies won't hurt anything. Mine were born 4 weeks early and the girls wore them for about a month before they could fit into regular clothing. Walmart has a great selection of preemie clothing.

For the mom's with another small child, what are you driving? I will be in need of a different car as the back seat in my small car has the bump in the middle so there's no way of three kids being back there, I am only 25 and hate the idea of a mini van...LOL. What works for you? are there any 4 door cars that are ok with two carseats and a booster in the back or do I need an SUV?
    Love my van, and i swore I would never have one. However, the Acadia has captains chairs, and had it been available at the time, we probably would have went that route because we wanted captains chairs for the second row. But, I couldn't imagine not having my van, the room is great!

Good luck!

4. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

see embeded responses below

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Dec 30 2008, 09:06 AM) [snapback]1126089[/snapback]
    I have started my registry at babies~r~us=), Me and my mom are the main ones buying off it right now because we're still early at 13 weeks but I just wanted an organized list of what I bought and what I need and once I hit the 2nd trimester I figured it wasnt that strange to register=) so I have some questions

i would keep bathtime seperate at first because they wont be able to sit up well in the bath seats until 4-6 mos. also consumer reports warns against bath seats due to safety concerns.
    at 12 mos my husband and i still only bathe together when we are both there.

i dont dress my kids alike. every time i meet an adult twin i ask them what they would have don e differently in terms of upbringing and every single one says dont dress them alike, dont call them "the twins" and dont coordinate their names. seems that many of them have issues with being raised as a unit rather than individuals. so i am following their advice - no matching clothes. i buy most things at target and we get tons of hand me downs.

my girls slept together and screamed right in each others ears at all hours and never woke each other up. we separated them once they started rolling/moving around - age ~3mos. they shares a packnplay for about that long - but they were 35wkrs - 4-5 and 4-13 - small

we have 2 cribs one changing table one dresser - their clothes are really small for the first year. we have tons of clothes and also have sheets towels etc in there and havent had a problem

i have girls but went gender neutral out of preference. i just went to ikea and started buying sheets and people gave us tons of carters crib sheets which were gender neutral. no theme, no sets. make sure you have at least 4-6 sheets. blankets were all gifts from grandparents and friends.

we bought a $35 ikea crib mattress not too firm not too soft - mostly just didnt want to break the bank of a relatively short term use item

had a few shirts from a friend who had twins - thank god. grandparents sent some when they were born and then some friends brought us some. also they get sent home with cute little shirts and i swiped a few extra to bring home to let the dog smell. they were swimming on the preemie clothes for the first month.

dont have another kid but plan on it in the next year or so - needed to buy an ew car for other reasons so bought an older volvo v70 wagon because i hate suv/ minivans and heard that if you plan well you can fit 3 carseats across.

Thousands of questions stirring....Sorry...LOL

Thank You

good luck! pm me if you have any other questions.

5. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(heather22274 @ Dec 30 2008, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1126146[/snapback]
    Hi my name is Heather and I am about 19 weeks and some change. Wow you have your stuff together. I really havent done much yet. Our twins our IVF and I think I am still in a daze about being pregnant.

Hi Heather..LOL...ya I am still in that daze about twins but when a close friend just had hers at 29 weeks that cut my time in my head and all I could think of was oh gosh get on the ball. My husband thinks I'm being anal but me and my mom are all planned out. Congrats on the pregnancy=)

6. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

I wont be buying this untill later (I find out the sexes for sure in 4 weeks) but I have a feeling its boy/girl, if this is true how are you guys making it gender nutral? I was looking for a bedding theme that maybe was offered in blue and pink or something like that but no luck thus far. I know I'll want pinky stuff for my little girl (if I have one) and so then blue for the boy but is that possible, I dont know if it could be tied together.
    [/quote]

Go online and search for baby bedding... I found two sites: www.nurserydepot.com and www.babybeddingtown.com that had TONS of selections of bedding/themes at reduced prices as compared to the specialty store I'm buying my crib from - and it's the same exact brands and styles. On both these sites you can search by gender-neutral or other different ideas that you have.

Good luck!

7. lromansky

QUOTE(lromansky @ Dec 30 2008, 11:07 AM) [snapback]1126257[/snapback]
    I wont be buying this untill later (I find out the sexes for sure in 4 weeks) but I have a feeling its boy/girl, if this is true how are you guys making it gender nutral? I was looking for a bedding theme that maybe was offered in blue and pink or something like that but no luck thus far. I know I'll want pinky stuff for my little girl (if I have one) and so then blue for the boy but is that possible, I dont know if it could be tied together.
    Go online and search for baby bedding... I found two sites: www.nurserydepot.com and www.babybeddingtown.com that had TONS of selections of bedding/themes at reduced prices as compared to the specialty store I'm buying my crib from - and it's the same exact brands and styles. On both these sites you can search by gender-neutral or other different ideas that you have.

Good luck!

8. lromansky

Good luck!

9. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

We have 5 children now and with the twins coming I don't see myself changing alot of what I did before, except some of the things you just can't get out of.

Bath time will be a team effort I am sure as we will have a 21mth old by then and the twins, so my hubby normally does bath time but I am sure he will need everyone's help then.

As for clothes we don't know what we are having yet (hopefully in the next month) but I have decided if they are the same sex I probably won't try and dress them the same... I want them to be there own little people just as our other children are. I won't have rhyming names either.

As for bedding, we have a crib for our 16mth old now, and then we have been given a crib I just have to pick it up.. so I am tickled to pieces about that. When they first come home I am sure they will be in the bassinet part of the pack n play until they are just too heavy and then we will decide from there whether to keep them in the pack n play or the cribs

I have 5 children and the twins coming and I have never had a changing table, and don't plan on having one now.

I have never been one to have a theme for my babies either since they grow out of it so quickly so again I am boring. I like country things or retro things, but not necessarily a theme like Pooh or Trains, so I don't worry about bedding because I usually just make their quilts and bumper sets and what not.

My mattress is the nicest one walmart had and I have been happy with it with our 16mth old.. probably won't change that either.

As for what are we driving.. HA HA some may laugh... but we have a mini van now.. which I love and found out we were pregnant and said okay we will have to get like a suburban to fit us.. we'll then we found out it was twins so that being said I will be driving a 12 passenger van (mini bus as I call it) :laughing: . Hey it's what works for my family!

I think when we find out what we are having we will then register, but I am not planning on people buying me alot. We just never do rely on that. I have a HUGE consignment sale I am part of every year and I plan on getting as much as I can from there the middle of February.

10. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

QUOTE(roadtocalvary @ Dec 30 2008, 04:31 PM) [snapback]1126305[/snapback]
    As for what are we driving.. HA HA some may laugh... but we have a mini van now.. which I love and found out we were pregnant and said okay we will have to get like a suburban to fit us.. we'll then we found out it was twins so that being said I will be driving a 12 passenger van (mini bus as I call it) :laughing: . Hey it's what works for my family!

We have 8 kids and drive a 15 passenger van........as much as I "love" it, I wish that we have a Dodge Sprinter instead. It is the type of van that they drive on Jon & Kate plus 8 (limo services use them too). It allows for a 6' tall person to stand up in it. It has room for adults to walk between the seats, and allows for rump room, when bending over to buckle kids in their car seats.

In the 15 passenger van that we currently have, the older/bigger kids have trouble getting to their seats in the van. If you have not purchased the van yet, I would reconsider.

11. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

nope we haven't purchased anything yet.. but I will tell you we try not to be in debt with vehicles so that may play a big part in what type of larger van we get. I like the Chevy 12-15 passengers.. but truly it's whatever we can afford that a newer and is the most reliable. Thanks for the info though I will pass it along to my hubby.. he is doing all the looking and research.. but it comes down to me doing most of the driving in it.

12. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

DH bought the book, Baby Bargains. It is a fantastic book. It tells you how to save money and what to purchase and what to not.

Enjoy,
    Jenn

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't read previous responses as my kids are wild so I apologize if I repeat someone! :)

Are you guys getting the one infant tub and doing bath time seprate or getting two infant bath seats for the bath tub and doing them together?
    We have one infant tub, in the beginning they only need a bath every few days, so we'll alternate bath nights. I have a 2.5 yr old too, but she bathes or showers with her older bro so I'm not too worried about her. Once babies outgrow the infant tub they can go in the big tub with the older kids (I have a garden tub)

I'm not going matchy matchy with their clothes, but I do have a couple of outfits from walmart that are similar. Probably babiesrus, kohls, jcpenney's....etc those kind of places will have similar dressy outfits to chose from.

What are you guys planning as far as sleep in the beginning
    A single crib in our room, the bassinet I have would never fit two babies and I didn't see buying a bigger one or a cosleeper when the crib will get the best usage of money. We'll buy a second crib when we move them out of our room. Babiesrus sells a crib divider if they don't like sleeping close together that we will get if necessary

Dressers....I was thinking two cribs, and one changing table and dresser (we have a small nursery area) but now thinking about it, is that enough space for both babies clothes and stuff?
    While in our room I have one of those plastic three drawer things from walmart for their clothes. Once they are in their room just one dresser and a closet will suffice. You'd be surprised how much baby clothes you can squish into one dresser. Plus undercrib storage (like those rollaway container's) work great for storing off season clothes or clothes that aren't used often.

I wont be buying this untill later (I find out the sexes for sure in 4 weeks) but I have a feeling its boy/girl, if this is true how are you guys making it gender nutral?
    We are going with winnie the pooh, it's green and yellow neutral colors, and then adding some gender specific crib sheets. I already have some pink flowered ones from my dd, and I'll get some blue maybe stripes ones for my ds. We are painting the room a nice soft blue which is fairly gender neutral but not overly (I'm not crazy about green and yellow).

We have a sealy that we used with my dd that we'll be using, most crib mattresses have to pass special standardized testing before they can be sold. I would just stick with a big name like sealy and you should be fine.

I didn't have preemie clothes when my ds was born and we needed them, they were a PAIN to find anywhere!! So I bought a couple outfits for my dd (who then came out at 9 lbs 12 oz), so this time yes we bought them each a few outfits to wear out! They can wear sleepers that are a little large at home, but I like their clothes to fit when we go out.

We are not mini-van people either, mostly because we do a lot of camping and need extra storage AND towing capacity, both of which a mini-van don't supply. We had to buy a Yukon XL because we also have a 7 yr old ds. It's awesome! Planning to put ds and one baby in the far back seat, and dd and the second baby in the captain's chairs in the middle! LOVE IT! :D

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We never used bath seats at all. I actually bought two of them at the twins' club sale and they never made it out of the garage. My twins seemed just fine with being in the infant tub (one at a time) until they were over 6 months old, and then they were sitting up pretty solidly and we just put them in the big tub together.

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Dec 30 2008, 08:06 AM) [snapback]1126089[/snapback]
    Are you guys getting the one infant tub and doing bath time seprate or getting two infant bath seats for the bath tub and doing them together? I had one infant bathtub and then at 8 weeks I'd lay a towel in the bottom of the tub and put a few inches of water in it. Worked great!!!
    But I'm thinking they'll waik eachother up. What are you guys planning as far as sleep in the beginning *(besides not getting much...LOL)We had two bassenettes in our room for the first 2 months. Then we moved them to their respective cribs. I sort of regret not trying them together, but I figured they'd wake each other up. They were horrible sleepers as it was. Mine were 7.5 lbs each at birth!

Dressers....I was thinking two cribs, and one changing table and dresser (we have a small nursery area) but now thinking about it, is that enough space for both babies clothes and stuff?, the changing table has two shelves which I put baskets in and a smaller drawer for all the ointments and squizzy things.Two cribs, and eventually you'll want two dressers... right? We got a changing table and we used it for the twins, but they were our first. Honestly, I could do without it. We found that we'd change them whereever they were at the time of the wet/poopy diaper. You don't need a changing table is what I am saying.. I'd go with the 2nd dresser instead. Just food for thought.

We did classic pooh with a mint green paint in their shared bedroom. I'm not very 'pink', so that was no biggie for me.

Preemie clothes....Did you buy any just in case or wait and if you need them run out? I hate buying them if I dont need them but I cant imagine running to the store after having two babies weather there home or in the NICU who has time for that? If you need preemie stuff, you can have someone go and get some at the time or get it yourself if they end up in NICU. If you buy some in advance, don't take tags off and keep the receipt. (same advice for diapers.. keep receipts you never know if you will use them. My current son never wore newborn diapers. He went immediatly to size 1 - 10 lb baby.)

Thousands of questions stirring....Sorry...LOL I love my mini-van. I got it when I had just the twins. I loved it that the doors don't swing out so parking next to another vehicle was not a big deal.. I didn't have to worry about the door opening up too wide. To each their own though.

Thank You

16. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

Hey there kitkat72783. I am having boy/girl twins and I too was searching for something in pink and blue for their nursery, but we decided to stay neutral. Here are the matching ones that I found and liked:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9874999
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9875000

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033262
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033261

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811387
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8222512

http://www.target.com/b/ref=in_se_pagelist...mp;fromBrowse=1 (this website, has a few cute matching boy/girl bedding sets)

I hope these are helpful!!!! :) And good luck!! ;)

17. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I have not had my twins yet - but I am planning on having one bath tub. I have some matching alfits (I am having a boy and girl) but mostly I got a lot of hand me downs or items from 2nd hand stores. Our local good will often has new items donated by target so I shop there as well. I got a hand me down chaning table that I put in the living room. I am going to have them sleep together till they get to crazy in a crib in our room. Then I will move them to their own cribs in their own rooms.

Good luck to you and congrats on your pg!!!!!!!!!!

18. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I purchased one of those baby baths I think it was Fisherprice I hated it, it had a seat in the middle of it with an infant sling.... the sling would drop down and the hard seat would hit their back !!! By the time they could sit in the seat it was easier to wash them in the sink ! The kitchen sink is the best it is at the right height and easy to fill and empty. I hated empting the baby bath especially since I had a c-section. If you do buy a baby bath just get the cheap one. Now I'm so lucky to have a large new laundry sink and my 13 months still get washed in there.

I love love love zippered sleepers much easier to put on than all those snaps. Especially when you have to do it double. Buy every nice zippered sleeper you can find. Also with twins they spend a bit more time in sleepers so try to buy some really nice ones.

Check all snaps on outfits before you buy it. Some can be stiff. Also NO IRON outfits are the best. Buy a few nice pretty outfits for pictures but buy these AFTER the babies are born since many twins are two different sizes or one grows more quickly than the other one.

Carters has many outfits that are cotton that a baby could sleep in, our go out in. These are nice on those days you just don't have the energy to change the babies YET AGAIN. or if you have an early doctor appointment.

Robeez are the only shoes that stay on their feet. (I know they sell online)

love dollar store small receiving blankets great for spit ups --- better than bibs. and dollar store wash clothes don't have a hard edge to them.

Bibs that have "snaps" not velcro !! The velcro sticks to all your nice clothes in the wash and ruins them and later doesn't stick to itself. (I used to like the Carters) I think they sell them at Walmart. Worth the look around and buy 6 at least. The receiving blankets work great when they are little infants. Oh and when they are older they can't pull the bibs off everytime.

Hope this helps.

Heather