Inevitable C Section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jball9087, May 3, 2007.

1. jball9087

jball9087 Active Member

My ob has already told me that due to the positions and size of the babies, I'll have a c section. It's scheduled for May 18th, but if I were to go in labor on my own before that, how long should I wait before heading to the hospital? With ds, I labored at home for about 12 hours and was 5 cm when we got to the hospital. But if the c section is inevitable anyway, why should I bother going through hours of labor at home? Just curious about your thoughts...

2. Twin-kle Twin-kle little stars

Twin-kle Twin-kle little stars Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't give you an answer, but I would like to know the same thing....

Juli

3. srvaug

srvaug Active Member

c-sec is not a bad thing :hug99: especially if the babies are comfortable kwim?

4. JulieAnn74

JulieAnn74 Member

Hi,
    If you go into labor at home you need to call your OB right away and they will instruct you as to when to go to the hospital. I had a c-section and honestly it wasn't bad at all. I was in the hospital for observation for my blood pressure and I was leaving to go home in the AM and at 3:30 that morning my water broke... within 45 mts I was 4 cm dilated and everything happended so fast and before you know it I was in the OR and 1/2 hr later out came my little girl then my boy. I had my children in a wonderful hospital w/a caring staff, it was a memorable experience. Best wishes to you!!!! :itwins: :itwins_boys:

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wait at all.. sometimes depending on the position of the babies if you go into labor things can happen...like the water breaking or a cord slipping through and suddenly a nice calm c/s turns into a rushed emergency... so personally I wouldn't wait... If you start feeling regular contractions call your ob...they will probably have you come in, check you out and if it seems like things have progressed they'll get you ready for the c/s... What's the point in going through more pain than you have to... that's my motto! The c/s wasn't so bad... the worst part for me was the reaction to the spinal.... I had that bp dropping, dry heaving, almost passing out reaction..and I had to get the spinal twice b/c it didn't fully take the first time....so I had that reaction twice...(once for each kid I guess.. ) my aunt is an anesthesiologist and she told me later that if they had given me enough of the IV prep ahead of time I would not have had that reaction. And it's true..they wanted me to finish two bags, but then the anesthesiologist decided I had enough at 1 and 3/4... should have been allowed to finish that extra bag!!

6. jball9087

jball9087 Active Member

Well I asked my ob today and you guys are right, she said go ahead and page her and call l & d as soon as the contractions become regular. Although I'm a little disappointed about the c section, I've been prepared all along to do whatever is best for the boys. I'm just nervous...I had a wonderful vaginal birth experience with my son and was sortof hoping for the same thing this time around, although I know every pregnancy is different. But again, since this is what is best for me and for the babies, I guess I'm ready! :)

7. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

Hi Jolene,

I am 35 weeks and just found out that my c-section is also, inevitable. My baby A has her bum engaged so I guess no amount of standing on my head is going to flip her over. I understand what you are saying about being a bit disappointed but obviously wanting what is best for the babies.

I guess the worst part is that I can't really put my finger on what bothers me sooo much about the c-section and I know that if I could just figure out why I care so much I could probably reason with myself and get over it. The thing is, if you don't know why you are bothered by something then no amount of reasoning is going to make you at peace with it - kwim? Everyone keeps saying well blah blah blah are the good things about a c-section but I know that already and can't figure out why I am so upset about it.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense - I guess I am just in the same boat and trying to figure my way through it as you are.

Anyway, I was told with a breech baby a presenting that it is important, when/if your water breaks, to head straight to the hospital and call dr. on the way.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!
    Amy

8. vickyc76

vickyc76 Well-Known Member

I went to see my OB about a cold I had on a Tuesday, I was 36 weeks, and he scheduled me for a c-section for the following Monday due to the presentation of the babies. This was my first pregnancy. I was instructed to come back on Thursday for my pre-surgery blood work. Well Thursday rolled around and I felt good, too good almost like I was drunk. So I went to his office that afternoon and told his nurses I know he checked me 2 days ago but I feel like I'm high. My blood pressure had sky-rocketed and I was in labor and I didn't even know it. I had gotten so used to Braxton Hicks contractions that these didn't seem any different. Needless to say when he popped his head in the exam room and asked when I had eaten last I knew we were ready to roll. The nurses couldn't believe I wasn't in any pain. I was actually going to walk to L&D when his nurse said absolutely not. So I had an Emergency C-Section at 36 weeks 3 days. Babies were 6lbs 9 ozs and 6 lbs 2 ozs, perfectly healthy.

Everything will be fine. The goal is healthy mom, healthy babies however they have to come out. And definitely don't wait if you think you are in labor because you don't want to progress into an emergent situation by waiting too long and at this point they aren't going to hold off delivery. Congratulations and best wishes!

9. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

Hi! I also wouldn't wait at home - I was told to page my OB on my way to the hospital, if I had contractions at all. Especially since you have already had a baby, your twins might start to come rapidly, and you want to be there if things need special attention quickly.

I had a completely problem-free C-section too. It wasn't bad at all, even though I was a little scared going into it. And your babies will have perfectly shaped little heads! No coneheads!
    Make sure you try to walk as soon as possible with the nurses' help. It gets easier every time. And make sure you pee soon after they take out the catheter! I waited much too long because I didn't think I needed to go, and they had to put it back in because my bladder spasmed. Sorry if that's too much info, but that was the only truly painful part of the whole thing for me.
    Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine. C-sections are safer than most procedures.
    Jcs

10. momof2boys+twins

momof2boys+twins Active Member

QUOTE(Susanna+3 @ May 3 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]242388[/snapback]
    I wouldn't wait at all.. sometimes depending on the position of the babies if you go into labor things can happen...like the water breaking or a cord slipping through and suddenly a nice calm c/s turns into a rushed emergency... so personally I wouldn't wait... If you start feeling regular contractions call your ob...they will probably have you come in, check you out and if it seems like things have progressed they'll get you ready for the c/s... What's the point in going through more pain than you have to... that's my motto! The c/s wasn't so bad... the worst part for me was the reaction to the spinal.... I had that bp dropping, dry heaving, almost passing out reaction..and I had to get the spinal twice b/c it didn't fully take the first time....so I had that reaction twice...(once for each kid I guess.. ) my aunt is an anesthesiologist and she told me later that if they had given me enough of the IV prep ahead of time I would not have had that reaction. And it's true..they wanted me to finish two bags, but then the anesthesiologist decided I had enough at 1 and 3/4... should have been allowed to finish that extra bag!!

The spinal was the worst part for me too when I had my c-sec with my son. I had the same reaction. It helped to have the nurses and dh talking to me though. It was good to be distracted for a few minutes. Anway to the original question I would call or go in as soon as you start feeling regular contractions. Why be in pain longer than you have to? Good luck!

11. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

I also knew I was having a c-section early on. Besides a few pre-term labor episodes, I never felt a contraction. I felt a little weird the day I had my twins...kind of out of it. My OB said come in and she delivered my babies. I say if you don't have to feel the labor don't put yourself through it. I don't feel like I have missed anything.