incessant fighting over toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lovelylily, Jul 31, 2010.

1. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

How do you ladies deal with screaming, crying fights over toys? I have taught sharing which works as long as it's an old toy and if it gets too bad, I just take the toy away. Suddenly I am finding myself taking all the toys away all the time! I need a new strategy. A lot of the fighting comes into play when it's a newer toy or a toy that has been put away for awhile and then comes back out. I very rarely buy new toys. Pretty much Christmas and birthdays. Is that part of the problem? Is it just too exciting? Help!

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I set a timer so that they know when to take turns. I have been doing this since they were two and it has always stopped the fighting because they know they each will get a turn. I started off setting it for about 2 minutes, now that they are older I set it for 5 minutes or more. Most of the time they will make it through two rounds and then forget about the toy and move on.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this...this is what we do around here. Especially if I have difficulty distracting one twin away from the desired toy.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I try to let them work it out on their own & remind them that they need to share. If the fighting continues (and lately they are working it out more & more for themselves), I set a timer.