Important Information on Post Partum Depression

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by 4kids4Cat, Jan 7, 2006.

1. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

Postpartum mood disorders may occur at any time during the first year after delivery. Depression may also develop during your pregnancy, and there are safe ways of treating it while pregnant.

Here are the common types of PPD:

Baby Blues
    It is the least serious type of PPD. It affects about 80% of all mothers, and consists of mood swings, and a weepiness, in the first 2-3 weeks postpartum.

Postpartum Depression (PPD)
    It affects about 10% of new mothers(and at least twice as many new mothers of multiples). Symptoms persist beyond 3-4 weeks postpartum and may include feeling helpless, loss of hope, crying spells, anxiety, loss of appetite, insomnia, and disturbing thoughts (wishing the babies had never been born, not wanting to be a mother, wanting one's old life back, and even suicidal thoughts).

Postpartum Psychosis
    This is the most serious of these conditions, it affects about 1 in 1000 new mothers and is always a medical emergency, usually requiring hospitalization. Symptoms include those of PPD, plus, hallucinations and/or delusions (hearing, or seeing disturbing things that aren't real).

What should you do if you have symptoms of PPD?
    First, call your doctor (OB/GYN, family doctor or psychiatrist). Your symptoms will be evaluated, and treatment started. This usually includes medications (antidepressants) and psychotherapy/counseling, usually for a limited time.

Postpartum mood disorders are very treatable. You are not alone, and you do not have to suffer! [​IMG]

Available support on TS:

Health Issues and Special Needs forum
    Post any questions, or concerns, that you have about PPD and it's treatments.

Experienced Members list
    Several of our members have experienced PPD after birth. Send a Private Message to one of our experienced members from here.

Helpful Internet Links:

PPD Screening Tool
    This simple questionnaire is provided so that you may quickly and easily find out whether or not professional medical assistance or counseling would be helpful to you.

Depression During and After Pregnancy
    General information on causes, symptoms, and treatments for PPD.

Double the Risk - Multiples and Postpartum Depression
    Information about the risk of depression after multiple births.

I would like to acknowledge and thank DeLana for her time and energy in putting together this valuable information for our Twinstuff community.

2. amanda821

amanda821 Member

I would like to also add to the PPD discussion as I experienced an extreme case of it after I deliverd my ID twin girls in July. I thought I knew what PPD was but until I was hit with it, I really had no idea what I was in for. My dr. told me not to watch any sad movies and stuff like that, so I thought, "okay, so I might cry alot." I can handle it. Well, come to find out, I couldn't handle it. I had a headache for 2 weeks, I was waking (when I could sleep) with tingling and numbness in my hands, nausea, "halo"-like effects in my eye, blurred vision, I had severe chest pain and ended up in the ER (there was nothing wrong) and I couldn't eat for 2 weeks and lost a significant amount of weight and I had to stop breastfeeding due to my dehydration. I guess if I could help one person understand that PPD is NOT just feeling sad and crying, it comes in MANY physical forms as well, I'd feel good. I wish I had known this prior to suffering from it. I guess if I had, I may not have felt like I was going crazy or maybe I wouldn't have thought I was going to die due to my symptoms. If someone had just SAID, "it could be PPD" I may have probably felt better sooner. Nevertheless, I am taking anti-depressants which have helped TREMENDOUSLY. It is a scary thing to be a parent and it is truly complicated by PPD. I know I kinda rambled, but I will say, I'm better, my twins are healthy, happy and growing due to the fact I got help and have the support of my husband (who was amazing during my PPD), family and friends.

3. ksls

ksls Well-Known Member

Great info! I'd also like to add something to this:

"What should you do if you have symptoms of PPD? First, call your doctor (OB/GYN, family doctor or psychiatrist). Your symptoms will be evaluated and treatment started."

And if your OB/GYN will NOT treat you, go see your primary care doctor or anyone who will hear you when you say that you are having PPD symptoms.

Yep, happened to me with my first (singleton) and I finally started meds 8 weeks pp. I coulnd't believe the difference after they kicked in. There really is no reason to suffer, especially on account of an idiot doctor like mine.

4. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I had PPD with my son and it was further complicated by the fact that I was on Depo-provera shots, whick make me crazy! According to my husband I was frightening the first year he was born. My doc wouldn't listen when he described my symptoms and said that I was "having a little case of the baby blues." I was so miserable I wanted to die! The only thing that kept me alive was the thought of Dave growing up w/o a mom. I felt pretty bad about myself, but even at that he would smile at me, he didn't seem to think I was a horrible mother. I didn't want to make him sad. It took 2 years for me to get over my depression to the point where I could even smile when someone told a joke. After I had Emma my DH was so afraid I'd go through that again, but I didn't. I didn't realize that it's great being a mom. All I can remember from Dave's infancy is the misery. I'm afraid to have PPD again that I've already talked to my midwife about it. She said she'd help me and that made me feel so releived. PPD is horrible, no one should have to go through it.

I'm editing this to add that I didn't have any PPD after the boys were born! If you feel like you have PPD then please talk to your doctor or even PM me if you need support!

5. newlyknotted04

newlyknotted04 Active Member

I have a three yr old son and gave birth to my twin boys on Feb 23rd this year so they are a little under 3 months. I had a little bout of the blues for a day or two with my first born and thought that I would have no problems this time. After all the first three weeks the twins were here, I was just beaming with happiness. Even their pediatrician said they haven't seen a mother as happy as me in a long time! "thank goodness I don't have PPD" I said to myself. Then a week or so passed and I was having a few crying spells. I blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe an oncoming period. Not sure what I was using as excuses. But all of a sudden I felt distant. Like I was just not "in love" with my babies even though I loved them. I just felt like I was doing the minimum only and when they cried it didn't even phase me. I felt no connection. I just did what I had to do to get them to stop crying...feed, change, whatever. I thought to myself "when I had my first baby it hurt to hear him cry. I wanted to comfort him. Why aren't I feeling the same?" Well I took an online survery about PPD and it explained a lot of symptoms I was having. Then I went for my six week checkup and talked with the Dr. I started crying and she asked if was comfortable with taking medication (that was safe for BF.) and I said anything that would help, I was willing. So she proscribed me Zoloft. After a few weeks I finally felt connected. Back to my happy to be a mommy self I felt those first three weeks. It hurt to hear them cry. I WANTED to comfort them. I felt like ME again. SO PPD can happen anytime even if others convince you it's just exhaustion, it's not. Because I'm still as exhausted but I feel better. No more crying spells, or other symptoms. So please, talk to others if you feel helpless.

Jackie

6. 32Love

32Love Well-Known Member

quote:
    I'm afraid to have PPD again that I've already talked to my midwife about it.

I exp. PPD with my first then when I TTC, I stopped the Zoloft. My OB said she wanted to start me back on it before I left the hosp after the twins were born but I told her no b/c I would be b/f. She warned me that it could be double the symptoms I had with David and really stressed her concerns and that she really wanted me back on meds before I came home with the twins. She placed a standing order when they were born for me to start Zoloft as soon as I felt I needed or said I wanted it. Several nurses (1 twin mommy who b/f) came to talk to me and after being hit suddenly with PPD symptoms, I started on Zoloft again. I'm now on Wellbutrin.

7. Mommy Rash

Mommy Rash Well-Known Member

PPD was one of the worst things I've ever gone through. After having my identical twin boys I went at least a month of feeling simply horrible. My mom finely suggested that I ask my dr about PPD cause I was wanting nothing to do with the boys, I loves playing with my older son 17 months at the time. I got on a anti-depressant and a sleepping pill and my husband takes care of the boys when they get up early and I'm still shoocked at the difference that the pills make and how much sleep affects me its funny to think back at how little sleep i used to get ever just 2 years ago before kids and marrage.
    megan
    steven 1/22/05 [​IMG]
    Jordan (misscarage)7/27/05 [​IMG]
    Christopher 6/16/06 2:12pm [​IMG]
    Joshua 6/16/06 2:15 pm [​IMG]