Im in pain and really cant do this much longer...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Chrissy2010, May 19, 2010.

1. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

Im 28 weeks and in alot of pain. Ive told the dr about my rib pain. He said that its probably from my back but I feel it in my ribs and told me to see a chiropractor. I told him its not my back, Its under my rib! He told me that I dont know everything..... Not liking this dr to much. I was referred to him from my family dr. Anyways, that was awhile back.. Ive been in so much pain lately, I don;t know what to do! My last appointment my dr was away sick. I had a different dr and she actually pressed right in there under my rib and it killed!!! Its not really my ribs that hurt its like the top of my uterus or diaphram. NOW the pain has started to go around to my back just under my shoulder. I have had an ultrasound that ruled out gallstones. Sometimes the pain actually feels like not a burning pain but a cold pain!?!?! I can't sit for long, I cant stand for long.. I hate it!! :( Its so depressing.. And its like no one understands!!! I dont think there is anything that can be done about this. Then I wonder becaues Im in so much pain are the babies so squished that they are in pain too??!?! Everynight I tell my husband I might goto the hospital because Ive had a rough day with this pain.. I never do becaues I figure theres nothing that can be done.... This is the only thing that bothers me about this pregnancy and I feel like I cant do 10 more weeks. There is no friggin way........Its going drive me crazy and probably get even worse.....What would you do?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

It could be the way the babies are positioned. I had rib pain too, but that is because William was so far up he was stuck under my rib cage. It hurt to bend, sit, etc. I def feel for you. If you are in that much pain though, maybe go to the hospital to get checked out. SOrry if I wasnt much help.

3. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

The obvious would be the babies. However, have you ruled out the possibility of a hernia or even pleuracy? I had pleuracy last year around this time and it was absolutely miserable and it lasted for close to 2 months. It was in my ribs and I really thought I had fractured one of them. It hurt through my ribs and even radiated around to my back. There was nothing I could really do about it either but deal with it and it came on for no reason. I wasn't sick at all. At the time I kept thinking that giving birth wasn't as painful as what I was dealing with then. I sincerely hope you feel better. I know it's rough but if it IS the babies hopefully they will shift soon and give you some relief.

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

You can do it!! Whenever you are having doubts, and the pain is seemingly unbearable just think about your two precious little babies. You are still extremely early, and everyday you keep them in is 3 days they don't have to be in the NICU.

As a mom of 28 weekers, nothing is more painful than watching your babies fight for their life. I hope you get some relief soon! :hug:

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

first, i'm sorry your doctor is being so disrespectful of your thoughts on this. and second, i know this is probably not what you want to hear, but have you been to see a chiropractor? it sounds to me like you have nothing to lose at this point, and if they can help at all or relieve even some of the pain it might be worth going in to find out. :unknw: worst case scenario: the chiro can't do anything for you & you can go back to your OB and say "see? i told you so!" :hug:

6. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Yes I have this too and it sounds exactly like what you have. It also radiates towards my back. My OB says it's from expansion in the rib cage and it affects the back ribs too. The uterus is getting larger and causes the cartilage in the rib cage to actually tear & rip apart in places. This is what the searing burning pain is from. She told me there is
    nothing you can do about it. She prescribed me flexiril to try but it doesn't work. My biggest growth was between 28-32 week so the good news is that it hasn't worsened since 32 weeks. Is your rib cage very small? Like is your bra band size a 32 or 34 meaning your rib cage is really small? Mine is(was) a 32 band size so I think that's why it hurts so bad.

7. Chrissy2010

thanks for all the replies.. Before I got pregnant I was a 32 and now a 36!!

8. Chrissy2010

No they havent ruled any of those out, unless that is something you can see on a ultrasound?

9. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

Oh, my! Sounds like you are in an awful lot of pain with so many more weeks to go. I hope you can find relief soon so that you can relax before the babies come. Hang in there keep on your OB's butt about it if it is that unbearbale for you. Hugs

10. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I would get a second opinion from an OB who actually cares and I would ask what medication he/she wants you to take to try and get relief. Do warm baths help? My first thought was gallbladder. I'm glad that is ruled out. Good luck!

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Hang in there. So much of pregnancy is mind over matter. I don't mean you can take the pain away, but you have to keep telling yourself you can do this. Horrible rib pain is better than having premature babies, even though it probably doesn't seem like that's the case to you now.

But like a few other people suggested, I'd find another OB. If your current one isn't taking you seriously and isn't treating you with respect, he's not the right doctor for you. It's not too late in your pregnancy to switch...

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know the pain you are talking about and it does hurt and its like no matter what you do it wont go away!
    I used to lay on ice packs and do stretches-it didnt make it stop but it did help just a little.
    I took tylenol too.
    We think mine was a dislocated rib or like pp said cartlidge tearing from my rib cage.
    I have a small frame and I think that twins just plain and simple didnt fit! but someohow your body will manage.
    Oh man I feel so bad for you!!
    But you CAN do this!! You have to! :youcandoit:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

13. chatongris

chatongris Well-Known Member

OMG thank you for posting this. i've been dealing with this exact pain for 3wks and wondering what it was from. my band size is 32 so this totally makes sense.

14. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I would try the chiropractor, too.

I was absolutely miserable during my pregnancy and didn't like being pregnant in general for the most part, but after your babies are here you will forget all about your pain and discomfort.

I cried everyday of my bedrest from fear of an early birth but also from being so miserable. But being on the other side of it, I would do it all over for my babies.

You will get through it and it will end! That's what got me through, knowing that no matter what happened, I could not be pregnant forever. It had to end at some point.

15. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Yes I much rather be in pain in the later weeks if it means my babies stay put longer bc the pain from having babies in nicu would be far worse to me. Every day I suffer I think it's a day that my babies wouldn't suffer if they were born too early!

16. Chrissy2010

My dr wasnt in again today.. This dr I saw said its probably normal pregnancy pain. It could be torn cartlige between the ribs? Heat or cold might help.. UGH....

17. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I would second (third?) this suggestion or maybe acupuncture or massage therapy? If you have health insurance it should cover paramedical services without needing a "doctors" note.

Although only a singleton, my last pregnancy I used to wake up in huge pain every day from all the weight sliding to the side overnight, a hot shower or bath helped immensely, but eventually I got round enough it didn't slide anymore!

18. Leila956

Leila956 Member

I also had EXTREME pain under my right rib cage. I would have to hold scalding water bottles to it to dull the pain but that barely helped. I would be up all night from the excruciating pain. Turns out I had stomach ulcers. They gave me medicine, a week later I was all better!
    I hope it is something easily fixable with you too!! Good luck, and keep demanding that they do more tests until they figure out what it is! I hate when doctors seem like they give up super easily.