If your baby was on CPAP

Discussion in 'General' started by Cma, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Cma

Cma Well-Known Member

Did their heads round out and the indents in temples due to the breathing tube, go away??

2. Cma

Cma Well-Known Member

Did their heads round out and the indents in temples due to the breathing tube, go away??

3. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

Joe managed to get the little "toaster head" while on the vent and CPAP for so long but it did round out. They're almost 21 months and you'd never know from looking at their little heads that they were on oxygen for so long [​IMG] Hang in there. How are they doing otherwise???
    Take care,
    Jen

4. mamaof2miracles

mamaof2miracles Well-Known Member

Preemies, especially micropreemies, do tend to have a long, narrow shaped head and face, but they do grow out of it as the get bigger and their heads grow. Just make sure that they are being turned to each side and to the back equally to avoid getting flat spots on the head as it is so soft and moldable.

5. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There are many different types of cpaps and some are worse than others. I know the one McKenna was on for 2 months gave her such a pig nose. It took her a while to outgrow that but she did. I used to push her nose back down whenever they would give her a break from the cpap.
    But I believe the "toaster head" that all preemies get isn't from the tubes, its just from being so tiny and not completely formed yet? Thats why they should be using those "gel" pillows so it won't change the natural shape of their head.

Good luck!

6. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

Agree with all PPs. Make sure that they have a gel pillow... and that they are turning them often. Sophie and Sally had major pig noses and their heads were flat in the back. Actually, Sophie came home with a perfect head and then I ruined it.... lots of tummy time helps and then when they are big and strong enough to sleep on their tummys they get hair and usually everything gets back to normal.

Good luck!

7. Inlowtwins

Inlowtwins Well-Known Member

Yep, we had toaster heads too! It did take a while for them to go away, but you can hardly tell now. The nurses told us it was because they were born early and they do need to be rotated often.

8. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

abbi's cpap gave her pig nose bad. but after a few wks of being off of it she was back to normal.
    I never noticed toaster head but maybe I just figured what i was seeing as they grew was normal and never thought twice about it.
    Abbi only had a gel pillow for a wk or so that I ever noticed or saw.
    I am kind of mad about that. her head was rounding out really nice and then even the nurses admitted to their laziness on alternating her sides and always had her flat on her back and just cocked to the side a bit, the same side, and her head was all very misshapen. One side taller, weirdly shaped, almost not round at all.
    I was so mad at how they cared for her in those kinds of ways. I was 2.5 hrs away tho so couldn't always be there to keep up on them.