If your babies were only ‘mildly’ premature (born 32-36 weeks)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by desolation_anonymous, Dec 30, 2009.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

And until what age?

Wondering because ours were born at 35 weeks 5 days. I've read that age should be adjusted (for singletons?) if born more than 4 weeks early. Don't know how/if this applies to twins, especially those born not *too* early, and if so do you use adjusted age for them, and if so at what age do you stop using their adjusted age?

2. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

my girls were born at 36 wks and my pedi generally uses their actual age for milestones, but if they're not meeting a milestone, he'll refer to the fact that they could potentially be 4 weeks behind.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls were 34 weeks and 1 day and he always used real age

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine weren't born that early, but when I worked in Early Intervention, we calculated adjusted age for anything 36 weeks and before regardless of them being a singleton or multiple.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine were 36w on the dot and were not adjusted (except for size...they were only the size of 32 weekers at birth)

6. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls were born at 33 weeks 6 days and their pedi never used adjusted age.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Mine were born 35 weeks and 6 days and our pedi always used actual age.

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

mine were born at 34w1d & our doc used adjusted age until about 9 months - at that appointment, they had hit all of their actual age milestones & so we've been going by actual age since then.

9. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 31w6d and the only time the pedi used the adjusted age was until they got on the growth chart for babies their age. For milestones, she just used their regular age. They always seemed to be on track for the most part, especially since teh age for meeting milestones range so much.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys were born at 35 weeks and my ped uses actual age, but for some reason still refers to the adjusted age occasionally when looking at their charts. I think it's more to remind him that they were preemies just in case anything we report seems a little off. So far they're meeting or exceeding their milestones (except for weight) and no longer need their "preemie credit". ;)

11. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

Our boys were born at 35W3D. Our doctor does give them a few extra weeks before "worrying" about anything. So far, there's been a couple of things they weren't doing at their actual appointment, and then we saw it within a week or two.

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 31 weeks 6 days and my Ped always used their actual age, but always keeping in her back pocket the extra 8 weeks if they needed it on a milestone. We vaccinated on the "actual" schedule as well.

13. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 34 or 36 weeks (crazy periods and no ultrasound until 20ish weeks, so we have no idea) and the pedi referred to their adjusted age for the first six or nine months and then we've never talked about adjusted age ever since. I think the only reason we used adjusted age at all is for their weight since they were both really small even for their adjusted age.

14. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were born at 34weeks (technically 33w6d late at night lol) and our Pedi said they will adjust for their size until 18months. However they show us both charts. As for milestones they don't mention it but when I mention something I'm concerned about they bring up they were 6wks early. I think its also bc like a pp said the milestones vary so much!

15. divababy

divababy Well-Known Member

34 weeks. pedi uses real age but gives them leeway

16. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jake and Becca were born at 36 weeks, our pedi always used actual, but for Jake's developmental follow ups (post Nicu) they would adjust.

17. nylaney

nylaney Member

Mine were 35 weeks 6 days and I think we never really had to adjust since they met all their milestones on time. However, I do Early Intervention evaluations and adjust anything 36 weeks or less until 2 years of age. That way, if they're meeting their milestones based on their actual age, great, if not, they have a bit of a leeway.

18. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine were 36w to that day. Their ped uses their living age for their milestones. However, Cameron had to see a doctor for his head shape. He had a little plagiocephaly which thankfully is correcting itself even now. He went by his adjusted age of one 4 weeks early.

19. 1sttwins

1sttwins Active Member

ds/dd were born at 33 weeks and their pediatrician never adjusted their age. There were right on target for everything, so they "treat" them as full term babies.

20. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 1/2 weeks and my ped always uses their real age.

21. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 33 weeks 1 Day, the Pedi always went by their actual age....and at 1 yr stopped using their adjusted age for anything that would revert back to milestones...

22. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

Ours were born at 33wks 4days...up until 9 months he always used their adjusted age for their growth curve because they hadn't caught up to where they should have been actual age. Always been actual age for milestones and development...At their 12 month well baby check up they were finally on the charts for actual age :)