If your babies were on Alimentum or similar ...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SC_Amy, May 7, 2009.

1. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Since Tuesday, we've been transitioning our boys to the Alimentum formula to help with their eczema/allergies. We started with half Alimentum, half their regular formula and are gradually increasing.

I've noticed they've been waking up sooner the past several days from their naps--they used to take 2-2.5 hr naps twice a day most of the time, and now they're usually waking just an hour or so into the nap. I'm wondering if maybe they digest the Alimentum much faster so they're hungry much sooner? Did anyone else experience this, or is it a coincidence? (or maybe the infamous 4-month wakeful period)

2. lezlie72

lezlie72 Well-Known Member

my daughter has been on nutrimegian (sp!?) which is similar to alimentum for over a month and i haven't noticed it changing her sleeping at all. both my son and daughter don't sleep as much during the day now compared to what they did a month ago. so it could just be age...

3. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

i think it is a coincidence. DD has been on alimentium for a while now and i haven't noticed any changes in her sleep. it could be the dreaded 4 month sleep regression, hopefully they will get over it soon and go back to being super nappers for you!

4. lezlie72

lezlie72 Well-Known Member

what is the '4 mo sleep regression' i am reading??? :-O

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine were on Nutramigen and I didn't notice a difference in their sleep habits.

6. ilovemonkeys

ilovemonkeys Well-Known Member

Our DS has been on Alimentum for 3 weeks now. Before going on it he was napping for maybe only 30-45 minutes at a time but just within the past few days he is now napping for 1.5-2 hours. Maybe the same will happen for your sons after they are on it for a few weeks. Our problem is that now our DD, who was the good napper, is now waking up after 30-45 minutes (she's not on that formula though).

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My son was on both (Alimentum / Nutragimen) and no difference in sleep. Make sure they're not overtired, early bed times and they're napping should get better, my personal experience!

8. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

One of my boys in on Alimentum because he was colicky/sensitive stomach and we were told by our ped. that he might be hungrier more often than the other because the alimentum has proteins that are already broken down making it easier for them to digest. I would say at first that was the case but after awhile (probably in the 5th month he seemed to be lined up with his brother's sched. -- not sure if that was because we added solids or why that was). I wouldn't rule out the 4 month sleep regression though ... might have something to do with it too! GL!

9. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(silver_stardust @ May 7 2009, 10:30 PM) [snapback]1305156[/snapback]
    One of my boys in on Alimentum because he was colicky/sensitive stomach and we were told by our ped. that he might be hungrier more often than the other because the alimentum has proteins that are already broken down making it easier for them to digest.

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case. Interesting!
    They took a beautiful 2.5-hr nap this afternoon so we'll see how things go from here. ;)

(And we are very careful to try to avoid them getting overtired.)