If you took a PTing break, how long did you take?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by summerfun, Jul 24, 2008.

1. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well today is day 3 of PTing Emilie and she has not gone pee in the potty at all. I am a bit frustrated at this point. My oldest DD was very easy and was accident free by day 3, so I am finding it hard not to compare Emilie to Caroline. Emilie will sit on the potty, but doesn't want to sit very long. She will come and tell me right after she pees or poops in her pants, so I know that is a good sign.

Am I expecting too much for there to be some success by day 3? I am contemplating taking a break and coming back to it. Just not sure when to try again. I really wanted her PTed by the time school starts again for my oldest DD since it will be harder to stay home then, since I have to get her to/from school.

So if you took a break, how long did you wait to come back to PTing?

Thanks!

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I would just take it slow and maybe wait a few days. Then ask her if she is interested in using it (offer an M&M of something). If not then just take it a few more days. I know you want to go right to underwear so I think you should try and get her to sit on it first for a little while. Maybe even give Trevor a chance. I know they say girls are easier than boys but John was totally easy so I don't think it's just girls. It's a child's personality and what motivates them that you need to discover (think differentiation ;) ). Hope I helped a little. :hug99:

3. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

the girls were almost 3 and were doing really well. then we were in our accident, in which i broke my back. so there was a major regression with pt'ing. we didn't pursue it for about 5 months. then all of a sudden, they showed interest again and just finished training. i never pushed them and it all just fell into place. but to answer your original question, we took a 5 month break.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lets see, Dani was fully (day and night) trained in December and Sydney is now almost trained now. So over 6 months.
    I also find that Sydney does much better when we are out and about. Yesterday was her first day accident free while being home.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thank you for sharing your experiences ladies. I have decided to take break PTing Emilie. I'll try again in a few months.

6. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

We took a 2-3 month break with Elizabeth. We tried potty training her in May after school ended. She did not want to use the potty. She got very defiant and refused the potty. We started again just recently - in July. We talked about it for about 3 weeks before we got rid of the diapers and she seemed ready. We have had minimal accidents -- 2 pee accidents in the first week. (We are having poop issues, but that is a different issue. <_< )

7. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

About three months, until summer ended. I told them for a couple of weeks in advance that we would start using the toilet when their brother went back to school, because that was a big enough event in the household for it to be a good time marker for them.