If we're talking TS politics. I want to get rid of the points

Discussion in 'General' started by sullivanre, Nov 24, 2010.

1. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when the site/software upgrade is, but I'd love to see the points for post either gone or unannonymized (is that a word). I think you can trace a lot of the problems and the in fighting on this site directly to the creation of those points. It was great the we agreed at the time not to have negative points, but in the end the positive points have caused just as many problems.

At the very least it would be nice if they were not anonymous, so people would be accountable for where they give or don't give out points.

That's my two cents. I figured I'd throw that out there.

8 people like this.
  2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

They are not annonymous for RM. If you click on the number you can see who gave the points.

3. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Cool! I never knew that. Has it been that way all along, or was that an update?

I agree with Rachel 100%, but I'm not giving her a point, on principle. :D

3 people like this.
  4. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

I had no idea. Thank you for the tip.

5. FirstTimeMom814

It's been that way for quite some time, probably not with the initial upgrade since it wasn't an option at the time but I know it was shortly after that.

6. sullivanre

:D

Interesting because I remember asking about this a long time ago, and at the time it was not available. I had no idea when this happened--a lotta folks who thought they were giving anonymous points are going to be ticked. :catfight:

Either way, I'd like to see it open for everyone not just rewards members. Honestly, it will probably be better on everyone if they were done away with completely. I'll admit that I find them a little addictive; it's like commenting without having to comment, so the lazy part of me likes that, but I think it's just contributed to an unnecessary amount of fighting and griping.

7. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Shrug. Anything can be abused, but I think it's a convenient way of showing someone you liked what they wrote - just a little more efficient than posting an "ITA" or :post: , especially if you're in a hurry. And clearly fighting and griping will always be with us anyway. :pardon:

1 person likes this.
  8. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I am having SO much fun going around seeing who's leaving points where. :laughing: It really is interesting on certain posts. I wonder if people won't leave points as much now?

9. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I left you a point, just for the irony, LOL

10. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I also wanted to add another perspective as far the popularity threads are concerned. I think some of it is "you get out what you put in". Not that this is a hard and fast rule, but if you post more often & share your opinions more strongly, you are more likely to have more points because you're putting yourself out there. Just a thought.

8 people like this.
  11. sullivanre

LOL, Dielle.

You know Amanda, I'm a little surprised at some of the folks who gave me points.

I definitely think knowing that it is not anonymous will affect how people give points, but I also think a lot of folks are going to be ticked that they thought they were giving anonymous points when they weren't. It doesn't bother me because I try to be pretty transparent, but I have a feeling that some folks will be pi$$ed when know their points were not anonymous.

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would rather see points up than have to scroll through 18 pages of "ITA" on heated topics. I see how it could seem like a popularity contest, but I sincerely hope that people aren't just giving points to their buddies for the sake of giving them a boost. I only give points to people that say things I agree with, usually way better than I could have said myself.

13. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like the points. Not because I particularly care about how many I have, although it is always nice to see that people agree with you or appreciate what you have to say, but because I find it easier lots of times to give a point rather than posting a lot of unnecessary posts just to say that I agree with someone. And I, for one, don't see or use them as a popularity contest. I don't reserve them for people who are my friends or just share my opinion. I give them to people who are supportive of others & I often give points to people I don't necessarily agree with if I feel their post was particularly well written or informative.

3 people like this.
  14. FirstTimeMom814

IMO, people who want to be p!ssed off will find something to be p!ssed off about. [​IMG]

15. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Oh I've always looked at who gives points. :spy: I didn't realize that non-rewards members can't see that. Doesn't affect my point-giving in any way. I

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I don't mind the points at all. For me it is a way to agree with people without having to spend the time to post saying so. It also feels go when I see a point on one of my posts knowing that someone agrees with me.

I also think it's all about perspective. I don't really think about the popularity contest stuff. I have no idea how many points I have and don't care. If those who are concerned about being popular will find a way to do it with or without points so I dont think they should be taken away because some choose to view it in a certain way.

17. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Now if we could only find a way to "ungive" points! On more than one occasion, I have clicked on the number to see who gave points, and accidently hit the plus sign to add a point. Oh well, I like to look mysterious...even if I am just completely uncoordinated.

I look at giving points like the "like" on FB. If I agree with something, I give a point. And I have no problem with people seeing it. I can't understand why someone would want to anonymously give a point? :unknw:

18. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I also didn't realize people could see who gave points, but I think that is great. I am 100% behind making them transparent for everyone. I give points pretty indiscriminately--sometimes in the Den I give them just because someone is arguing with me. So I think transparency would be great.

That said, I've been posting from my phone a lot lately so I can't give points or see who is giving me points, etc. I only see when I log on on my computer. I do like them because they are a great shortcut for agreement, and I'm not going to lie--sometimes it's nice to see that people agree with you or just appreciate your post. Particularly on those days when you feel beleaguered, which I'm sure we all have.

3 people like this.
  19. sullivanre

I guess Sheryl and I are in the minority. I like the points in the same way I like ice cream. It's addictive, and it adds to the fun, but I know it's probably not the best thing for me. I just think we'd all be better without them. It does make me feel a little better to know that they are not anonymous (for RM folks anyways).

20. sullivanre

Ok, so who else didn't know that people could see them? I very specifically asked about this a long time ago, but I never even bothered to check again after Trish told me it wasn't in the software's capability.

I feel kind like a dork that I couldn't figure that out as much time as I spend on this site.

21. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I didn't know. But I can't see them anyway since I'm not a RM. (I hope to be someday when I get a few extra $$)
    When I give a point .. it's not so much to the actual person than it is the POST itself.

22. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that anyone could view who has given points either. It won't change how I dish them out going forward. I click away for many, many reasons.

23. FirstTimeMom814

I announced it back in June in the Official Notices section here.

24. rrodman

I had no idea. I don't think it was something that was every announced. I remember you asking about it, and I thought it had stayed that way. I have to say, knowing that I can see them is fascinating! I have to cut myself off now before I spend the afternoon seeing who gave who points.

I do see what you are saying Rachel. Part of me thinks that we should just get rid of them, although I don't think they are responsible for the issues with the site for the last year (honestly, I think the whole issue boils down to people feeling hurt because they feel--whether you (collective) agree with it or not--that they are not being heard). I did always see them as a bit passive aggressive, even if it was a passive aggressiveness I participated in. I think having them not anonymous helps. The other part of me thinks that, if we are going to have them at all, we should put the top ten list back on the side and just embrace them whole hog. At least then people know what their points are doing, right? Seriously though, I don't think it's a popularity contest. I don't think I'm that popular here. There's a small group of people that like me, and they only like me some of the time. I do think that I'm outspoken, particularly in the Den, and willing to say things that others aren't. Thus, lots of points. Doesn't mean that people don't still dislike me. So, eh. Take them with a shaker of salt.

ETA: Clearly I was wrong about it not being announced. I guess the "Official Notes" section is not the hotbed of activity.

25. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

This is craziness. Although, I am not as active nor have been around as many other TS members, all these posts of hurt feelings, popularity contests and points (which I didn't even know existed till now) are making it hard to come here and read topics. What happened to the good old juicy stuff. No offence to anyone, but boo hooing about how an internet board is run is just silly.

22 people like this.
  26. rrodman

What kind of juicy are you looking for?

27. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

LOL-how about peoples family drama?

28. rrodman

I have an aunt who has been married 5 times.

4 people like this.
  29. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh! Family drama is my favourite. Maybe in light of t-giving we should start a thread about the crazy relatives that might come to thanksgiving.

30. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

+1 point given!

31. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Rachael, I don't know why but that made me laugh...I spit out coffee on my keyboard.

32. sullivanre

I'm not upset about it. I just missed that. I probably missed a lot of the action during that time period :) .

LOL, tell me about it. Sometimes it's a little surprising.

I just think it contributes to the problems, but either way, I'm happy they are not completely anonymous anymore.

33. sullivanre

You hurt my feelings, and now I'm gonna take away all of your reputation points. :rotflmbo:

FWIW, I'm sure I'm not the only one, who actually likes talking about this stuff, since the site politics threads get pages and pages of responses. I don't like the fighting or the same things over and over again, but I am admittedly fascinated with the dynamics of online communities, and the feminist in me is particularly interested in how that plays out in a predominantly female community like this one.

34. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I am not a RW, but have been a long time member of TS.

I did not know you could see who gave points, and really it is not too important either way to me :unknw:

It is nice sometimes to see people agree with you (or someone else) to be honest, as a PP said. Sometimes it is just nice to click + if I agree/can relate , but have nothing to add.

I admit, I have never checked to see how many 'points' other people had (or even myself) until this thread...now THAT seems counter productive to what the OP was hoping for!! :)

35. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I agree but even with TS not having a -point when people give +points to negative comment posts because they do not agree with some other posted message they do become a way of showing -points to posts

yes because it is so difficult to post "I agree with or support you" or even a :good:

1 person likes this.