Ideal Breastfeeding Set Up?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by djessup, Sep 2, 2008.

1. djessup

djessup Member

I'm trying to figure out what I need in our nursery to create an ideal breastfeeding set up but have no idea what I'll need to be comfortable. Can I use the rocker I used with my first or is that likely to be too small to comfortably feed 2? My mom suggested a mini sofa and right now there's a double bed in the room that maybe I should just load with pillows and use that.

Also, everyone I talk to seems to rave about the EZ2 Nurse pillow - is it the essential item that everyone seems to think it is? Can I get away with a boppy or just lots of pillows?

Would love to know what's worked for you!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i used lots of pillows at first to tandem feed but had tons of trouble with getting a pain free latch until i switched to the EZ2 (although because you've nursed before this may not be a problem for you). i also found a small, angled footstool invaluable to help get everything at the right height & angle. i think the suggestion of a small sofa is a good one - i think a rocker will be too cramped for tandem feeding. an extra large arm chair would probably work as well. just make sure it's something you can sit up straight with.

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

QUOTE(miss_bossy18 @ Sep 2 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]958642[/snapback]
    i used lots of pillows at first to tandem feed but had tons of trouble with getting a pain free latch until i switched to the EZ2 (although because you've nursed before this may not be a problem for you). i also found a small, angled footstool invaluable to help get everything at the right height & angle. i think the suggestion of a small sofa is a good one - i think a rocker will be too cramped for tandem feeding. an extra large arm chair would probably work as well. just make sure it's something you can sit up straight with.

I second the suggestion of a sofa...we have a full-sized bed in the nursery and I HATE tandem feeding on it!!! There isn't enough support even when sitting against a wall. I tandem on the couch downstairs...it's my nursing nest ;)

I use the EZ 2 nurse pillow...I tried using a boppy a few times and it didn't even compare in terms of ease!!!

4. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I was always on the couch or my bed. I used the EZ2Nurse and couldn't do it without it for tandem, but I also only did tandem once or twice a day at most. I enjoyed single feeding more.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Nursing stool
    Mini - couch much better than rocker
    EZ2 pillow is great

Good luck

6. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

I have a glider in the nurser ... hated it for tandem nursing (I always tandem nursed until the girls were about 9 weeks then I one-on-one nursed in the middle of the night at which point the glider and a regular Boppy fit the bill just fine ... I always tandemed downstairs during the day) ... I had to tandem on the floor in the middle of the night in the early days which was really uncomfortable but didn't want to drag the girls downstairs to my "nursing chair" where I nursed during the day. I wish I had gotten one of those big easy chair rockers. I nursed in an easy chair downstairs with the EZ 2 Nurse Pillow ... don't know how I would have done it w/o the EZ! However, I had to rig a pillow to go behind me for support and especially as the girls got longer. I bought some foam rubber and made a pillow to put longways behind me in the cut-out of the EZ. It put me far enough out from the back of the chair so that the girls still had leg room and it supprted my back since the little strap that straps you into the pillow leaves some space behind you ... and the little cut out pillow that came with the EZ was worthless to me. I suggest you do this or use several bed pillows longways behind you (stuff them into the cut-out of the EZ). I was pretty comfortable nursing on the bed this way, too. If you want to see a photo, go to my blog (in my siggie). I think I was just using bed pillows when that photo was taken (like over a year ago!). It is the sappy post from today ... my last day of nursing the girls =(

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

To tandem nurse I had to sit on the couch with the EZ 2 Nurse pillow. At night I usually nursed them individually so that I could just sit in the rocker in their room. I liked having the medela nursing stool b/c it helps position you correctly to nurse.

8. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I almost always used the ez2nurse pillow - I bought one at a second hand store for like $20 - it has been well worth it. I have nursed a few times tandem without it, but I found it to be awkward and difficult. I use to nurse on the couch downstairs during the day, and at night in bed or on a little loveseat that we had upstairs in our bedroom. I tried to nurse in the bed, but for the first few months that was too hard because the babies were too small and I needed to have my feet elevated. Now I can easily nurse in bed though.

GL