I think DS is getting a mole

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by thea7, Jan 16, 2008.

1. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

My DS, who is 2 years old, seems to be getting a mole. I first noticed it last week, it's very small, brown, and round, and it's on his face. It doesn't seem to be an injury, it looks like a very small mole. He wasn't born with this. Do moles start growing like this? I thought you were born with them. Should I contact the pedi about this?

Thanks,
    thea

2. MEARA

MEARA Well-Known Member

no worries - mine just got one on her middle finger - that's how it goes. Just bring it up next time you are at the doc but I don't think its a biggy

3. all4megan_kayleigh

all4megan_kayleigh Well-Known Member

My experience is that moles do "grow." My girls were both born mole-free. About the age of 2, I started noticing them getting tiny moles and over time they each have several.

I know I have new moles pop up over time.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Amy's gotten two moles since birth. As long as it looks like just a mole (i.e., doesn't show any of the danger signs like being multicolored, bleeding, getting very large very fast, etc.), I'd just bring it up at the next checkup. I have tons of moles myself, and occasionally still notice new ones.

5. SweetPeaTwinsx2

SweetPeaTwinsx2 Well-Known Member

Madison has a big mole on her leg...it's almost the size of a pencil eraser. It showed up shortly after birth. It seems to be growing with her....the dr isnt concerned, but said to keep an eye on it. They say to watch for the A, B, C's....A-asymmetrical shape, B-boarder (not jagged), C-color (not varying). If you are really concerned it doesnt hurt to have a dermatologist look...Abby had 3 show up in her hair of all places this year and I took her in (they are fine!).

I am a pretty freckled and moley person.....I still notice new ones on my arms every now and then.

6. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring to hear. My kids just had their 2 year well visit and their next pedi visit won't be until they are 3 (unless they get sick), so I didn't want to be worried for a whole year about this.

Thanks,
    thea

7. twiceblessedin06

twiceblessedin06 Well-Known Member

I thought my Jacob was getting one as well. I showed it to the doc at their last appt, and he said it wasn't a mole but a ??? (forgot medical word for it). Basically, it is a growth from a virus. He said his daughter had a ton of them, but they all went away, and that should happen to Jay's as well. I don't know if that's what yours has, but I'd show it to the doc and see.