I never thought I'd be able to go __________ by myself with my twins.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd be able to take my 3 kids to the zoo by myself - we did it yesterday, just a few days before they turn 3 and my oldest DS is 6.5, and it was actually quite easy and a lot of fun. I really couldn't have imagined doing that, even a few months ago.

I never thought I'd be able to take my 3 kids to the movie theater by myself - and we did it today - saw Despicable Me in a discount (packed!) theater - and while they were a bit nervous, we made it through the entire movie without any loud outbursts, tantrums, or tears! Sippy cups of milk and baggies of Golden Grahams - and my lap helped us tremendously!

And I feel so empowered to try something else now! :)

Share your adventures that you thought would be impossible....

1 person likes this.
  2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I remember being afraid to take them to a movie by myself, but I did and got through it!! I was actually surprised at how well they behaved. I take them on the military base where it's waaay cheaper than out in town, plus they don't show all the zillions of previews.

Mine would be: I never thought I'd be able to use the bathroom by myself!! It's still a rarity, but they are learning.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yay for new adventures!!! :woo:

I never thought I'd be able to go out to lunch by myself with my twins. Not so much my twins, but all three kids! The boys are now three and Annabella is 18 month old.

I never thought I'd be able to go to the mall by myself with twins(without a stroller).

I've done the mall with the double stroller with the boys and carrying Annabella. It garners many stares. But on this particular day, I needed to get some baby shower gifts at one end of the mall, something at the other end of the mall, and it was lunch time.... So I got the shower gift. Brought it back to the car with the kids. Walked to the middle of the mall, onto the elevator, down to the basement and got lunch at Friendly's-with all three kids by myself. Then back on the elevator, up to the second floor and went to Target. Down to the other end of the mall, down the elevator, and out the door. It was an insane amount of walking for the boys(who weren't even three yet). I was soooo impressed with how they ALL behaved. I was one happy momma!

I've since gone places by myself with the crew. Tomorrow we are driving two hours to go see a cousin who is here from Michigan. I'm driving by myself with three kids. Not ideal, but I'll do it, and they should be great. I hope. LOL!

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Awesome, that is a lot of mall walking!! You can totally do the 2 hours by yourself!! I've done a 3 hour drive to my parents with the 3 kids by myself a number of times and it seems like the first 1.5 hours are pretty smooth and little to no complaints from my 3 little passengers. By the 3rd hour, they are ready to move their bodies some, though! :) You'll do great!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks! :)

Yeah, the boys should do great. Annabella will hopefully fall asleep on the way... I just worry about Nicholas getting car sick. He hasn't since we went FF(although he got sick about a year ago due to an ear infection we did not know about...). But I still worry about it! And now that they are potty trained... I'll have to pull off and let them go in the portable toilet. And Nicholas talks. A LOT! LOL! I just need to make it there and back in one piece! :laughing:

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I remember taking my two to the beach for the first time by myself. It was this summer and they did so great. Of course, it helps that the beach we go to just happens to have a swallow part all roped off for kids, but nonetheless, I did it!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

To the store, mall, playground, doctors office, Chuck E Cheese- I was sweating bullets at that place but I made it out alive and with both children :laughing:

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I've done a couple stores , a smaller inclosed mall (last August), doctor office so far. With the two of us most other places are awful as it is so I can't imagine with me alone.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

movies!! Usually Tony and I go or my mom and I go but the day after Thanksgiving I took them to see Tangled (not the 3D version) it was packed but they were sooooo good!

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Chuck E Cheese
    :faint: That place is a twin nightmare!

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You know, I don't really think there is anywhere I didn't think I'd be able to go. Maybe a mosh pit? They've not been in a mosh pit, but they've been to a few outdoorsy concerts. Maybe a bar? College?

I've taken them by myself:
    zoo
    farm
    amusement park
    mall
    grocery store
    parks that don't have an enclosure

/shrug, I just have never felt tied down with them, I've never really let the fact that there are two babies/kids to lug around affect my normal social calls. My husband OTOH was scared to take them anywhere by himself for the longest time. But he's a pro at it now too.

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I've pretty much taken my twins everywhere by myself... zoo, aquarium, parks, restaurants, etc. I didn't have a choice if I wanted to get out of the house so I just did it - and the trips were frequently easier than I expected. My one triumph, though, was flying across country with them at 26 months old. I wasn't sure how the logistics would work with just me and two toddlers - but we survived, thanks to the Bob stroller (great for racing between terminals), CARES harnesses (I could never have lugged two car seats onto the plane), portable DVD players, and lots of pipe cleaners to string beads on.

13. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

... at first I didn't think I'd be able to care for my children alone(serious post partum complications) but after five months I was able to care for them on my own, and my biggest triumph was flying 5.5 hours when they were nine months old to see my parents. My other triumphs have been going to the mall and grocery store without a stroller and to our very rustic (no power, running water) riverfront cottage alone for a couple days. I am a worrier by nature but yet I have found that the more I actually try the more confident I have become. I can't wait for the coming summer to see what we can do then!!

14. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I'm sooo thrilled to say:
    I have:
    Taken all four kids to eat out at a sit-down restaurant by myself.
    Even better - I have driven all 4 kids to my parents house in Mass by myself (12 hours away).
    (and after that, to Upstate New York, to Virginia Beach, to DC, etc!)

We've hit the easy part!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

15. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I would say....

to the beach and swimming this summer. Since they are both non-swimmers, I was relieved when we accomplished/survived this without incident.

16. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Well, in April I will be taking them on an airplane by myself for a 3 hour flight to Phoenix. Last year, the thought alone would have made me shudder but now I feel like it's no big deal and it will be just fine.

Oh and I also thought I would never have a shower alone since they insisted on coming in with me all the time but lately they are happy to sit on my bed and watch Dora so I can shower alone in peace!! Woo HOO!

17. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I've done so much with them. I think they were 2-3 weeks old and I was taking 3 under 3 to a museum. Of course, it's not always pretty, or great, but I always did. I've done so much with them at early ages. Between moving from the US and Asia, I was mainly by myself for 5 months while my husband was already in Asia. My parents not living in the the same country either, you do what you have to do. I take them everywhere here, and I always have, even to the super busy city center. Swimming pool, beach, museums, restaurants, everything. In July, I'll be flying home for 12 hours with all 3 of them by myself, they'll be 7 and 4, but I am not a tiny bit concerned. They have travelled so much in their entire life to all kind of places, changes airports, long flights, we'll deal with it.

18. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a little like a couple of the other PP's. I started going out on my own with my three when the boys were just a couple weeks old and my DD was 16 months old. My DH was away for the first four months of the boys' life, so if I wasn't willing to go alone, I wasn't going anywhere. And because I do so many things with my kids by myself, they are used to all my little rules when we go out; that's all they know and have known. (absolutes like holding hands in a parking lot, staying with the cart when grocery shopping, holding hands in stores, when Mommy says "Stop!" she means now, etc)

However, with that said, every time I do something new on my own with them, I feel empowered . . . and very proud of myself and my kids.

19. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I've done quite a bit by myself - carn trips, walking at the mall, zoo, restaurants, park, etc. but the one that I don't know if I will ever be comfortable doing by myself is taking them to the pool. They love the Y pool and it is indoor and there is a kiddie area but it still freaks me out.