I need your help ladies

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Apr 13, 2012.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

One of my boys still puts all sorts of random stuff in his mouth. He is definitely the one that the more you tell him not to do something the more he does it just to get a reaction out of you. When possible I do try to ignore it just for that reason but most of the time it is dangerous so I can’t ignore it. Today we were playing outside and he came to me and told me he ate a berry off a plant. I immediately freaked out and sent a picture to my brother who is in landscaping and called poison control while he figured out what it was. Luckily this time it wasn’t something poisonous but that was just luck. When I try to talk to him about how it can make him sick and that it isn’t okay he mostly just laughs. He did just get over the flu a couple of weeks ago so I do try and tell him it will make him throw up and his tummy upset and I think he gets it a little bit. But for the most part I don’t know how else to explain it to him. I told him that since he didn’t listen and put something in his mouth that he wasn’t supposed to he doesn’t get to play outside today – which totally sucks since it is such a nice day.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No suggestions but I'm going through it, too. I ask "Is it food?" And if its not then say we don't eat it.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Poisonous berries really worry me... so I sympathize! I have no idea though :( I'd just keep repeating and hope it sticks.

4. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

DS still does this so, I'm not much help. Like the PP's said, keep repeating "If it's not a food, don't eat it." "If you're not certain if you should eat it, ask Mommy first." And my newest "If it's on the floor, you don't eat. You can ask me for another one."

Lately, it's been toys, so I will take the toy and put it away without a warning first and tell him afterwards "Please remember, we do not put toys in our mouths."

GL!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My 13 yr old was horrible about putting things in his mouth. He would come to me and ask me "am I going to die" I would know he had swallowed something or put something in his nose. I would always say oh no honey! When he was 5 he came to me and asked me if he was going to die (he had swallowed a football charm from my bracelet) I said "I don't know". Scared him and he never did it again!

6. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

I ate coins and buttons until I was about 9! Don't laugh, I did! I just remembered it the other day and I don't know why I did it but I just did! I grew out of it, thank goodness, although I could've had a nice little piggy bank by now lol!

1 person likes this.