I need words of encouragment REALLY bad!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JenKik, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

My girls went for their 9mo checkup just the other day. We got what I think is not good news. Other than my girls are growing well, meeting milestones as they should, and just plain thriving, they have been diagnosed with HEPATOMEGALY -- enlarged liver. They've been referred to a Pediatric Gastroenterologist (sp) at Childrens Hospital for further tests to find out why. I done the worse thing ever by researching it on the internet. I have been so worried about them. My girls were born at 30wks 5 days and have come so far to start backing up now. Has anyone got LO's that have an enlarged liver? Is it something that is a result of them being premature? They don't seem to be in any pain. They've always tolerated meals really well and are very playful....in other words they don't seem to be sick. For the most part, I just need some encouraging words. I am worried to death.

*Mods, please move this post if it's not in the correct location.

2. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

I am so sorry :hug: I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to offer support. I am sure it will all work out just fine!

3. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Oh gush, I am so sorry. I don't have any words of advice but wanted to offer some support, I will be thinking and praying that everything will turn out just fine. :hug:

4. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

[​IMG] sorry i have no advice for your situation[​IMG] hopefully it will all work out fine. Your babies sounds adorable[​IMG]

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have any experience with your situation but I just wanted to send :grouphug: your way. Please keep us posted!

6. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Hey there. Why did you have a test like this done? I mean, what was wrong with them to make them look into this? I dont have any info either, Im sorry but what I can say is try to stay away from looking it up on the internet-there are very few sites that are reputable when it comes to medical issues...as someone who has done the same thing in the past and regretted it, getting a plethora of misinformation and things that made me worry. I will pray for your girls. It WILL be ok. Be strong. Whats the next step?
    Dana

7. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

Dana, when they went for their 9mo checkup, their pedi was feeling around on their bellies and thought then that their liver and spleen seemed larger than normal. So, he ordered an abdominal ultrasound and those results revealed that both babies have an enlarged liver. Their spleen is okay, no worries there. He is now going to send them to Childrens Hospital for further testing. He says that it could be something like Hep A or B or even anemia that could be the cause. Hopefully we will be able to find the cause and successfully treat it. Nonetheless, I am worried to death!!

8. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

:hug: :hug: :hug: I am really sorry. Hope things will turn out fine.

9. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

The good news is that whatever the problem is, it's been caught eaely. That's why we have so many appointments the first year, right? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's something easily remedied.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pitbullzz

Pitbullzz Well-Known Member

I have no exp with this, but the only advice I can give you is...STOP LOOKING UP STUFF ON THE INTERNET!!!! ;)

Like another person said...they caught a potential issue early, no reason to search the web with all the "What Ifs". My DW was not allowed and also would not look up things regarding twins born at 24 weeks. All babies are different.

I hope everything turns out well.

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have no experience or advice, but wanted to send :hug: 's. Keep in mind that right now, Google is not your friend. I know it's hard but try not to read stuff on the internet, it will only cause more worry because you will almost never read about the cases where it turned out nothing was wrong. Hang in there & let us know what you find out! :hug:

12. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:hug: how scary!! My thoughts are with you and wishing you a very good outcome!!

13. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

When is the test at Childrens? We'll all be thinking of you and those sweet girls.

14. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

Megan, Their tests haven't yet been scheduled. I talked with the Pedi's office yesterday morning and they were still waiting on a phone call from the hospital. I look for them to call me first thing Monday morning with all of the info. I guess one thing going for them is that if it was an EMERGENCY then they would have sent us to the hospital the day we got the results of the ultrasound. You would think, right??

1 person likes this.
  15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right Jen. They would have sent you right there. It's so strange that they both have it.

16. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right - if something had been emergently wrong the pedi would have sent them that day. I can't imagine what you are going though but hang in there! I agree with PP, although its hard to not google, try and stay away from it until you get a solid answer. We'll be thinking of your girls!!

17. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

Correct! If they thought it was an emergency they would send them straight away for more testing! (I know from experience!)

I'm so sorry you've gotten this news and totally know how upset and worried you are. Both of my twins have had more than one medical problem with both having ongoing problems, too. It is horrible.

Whatever the problem may be, they have found it very quickly and I really feel like everything will be okay. PLEASE keep us posted!!!

18. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Sounds like your pedi is very alert...try to stay as positive as you can. I am so very sorry you have to go through this...we are thinking of you here. :hug:

19. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the support and encouraging words! I will definitely keep everyone posted. In the meantime, I'm going to try my best to STOP researching the condition on the internet, seems I get REALLY down when I do that. Please continue to keep us in your prayers!