I need some PT Help! These girls are giving me a run for my money!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kyrstyn, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Several weeks ago, the girls started showing some interest in Potty Training. I wasn't exactly ready, but I figured I would give it a go and see where it took us. Kylee took to it right away. It wasn't long until she was having no accidents at all, and telling me when she had to go. Piece of cake!! Kaylyn was obviously Not ready, so I decided to hold off a bit and leave her in diapers a little longer. No problems there either.

Things were smooth sailing, Kylee was doing great and Kaylyn was content in diapers. Then about a week ago, Kaylyn decided she wanted to use the potty too. So I let her have at it, and she took to it this time. :clapping: No more accidents, and no more diapers!!! ....or so I thought! I should have known it was too good to be true to have them both PT so easily!

Now Kylee has completely regressed to only pooping in the potty. She will not pee in the potty at all! :gah: They totally switched on me! Yesterday I put a diaper on her, and she took it off and proceeded to pee on the floor. She knows pee goes in the potty, and she tells me when she has an accident. I have no idea what this is all about?!?!

I have done Candy rewards, sticker charts, and I make a HUGE deal out of successes. None of that has changed. And it seemed to be working great. I also don't make a big deal if they have an accident, but it's getting more and more difficult to keep my cool when Kylee pee's on the floor because I know she knows better and she knows how to pee on the potty.

I am :headbang:!! I don't know whether to put Kylee back in diapers (which is a fight in and of itself, she does NOT want to wear diapers!) or ride this one out and stock up on carpet cleaner in hopes that she will jump back on the bandwagon. It really doesn't matter to me if she is in diapers, but I feel like that is a step backwards and I don't know how beneficial it will be in the long run. I don't want her to think that she can pee on the floor, and that means she gets to wear diapers and not worry about it. :pardon:

:help:

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I don't know the in's & out's of potty training. We haven't gone there yet. Hopefully someone will come along with some potty training wisdom for you. I just thought I might suggest the potty training quizto see if they are ready.

3. Kyrstyn

Thanks Laura! I took the quiz, and this is what it said:
    That doesn't really help with the whole regression issue though, and what I should do about it. :huh: I am so confused! :tease:

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Well, at least you know she's ready. :good:

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

This is why I'm waiting. There's just too much risk right now for me :)

I'm sorry you're going through this. How frustrating and I have NO idea what I would do especially cuz we're always on the go. Keep us posted :)

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Yikes, Kyrstyn, that's a tough one! :hug:

You said she doesn't like diapers, right? Can you have her start the day off in underwear and tell her that she only gets to wear the underwear if she pees on the potty? Then the first time that she pees on the floor she has to wear a diaper. If she decides she's ready to pee in the potty again, she can change into underwear. And maybe you can put the diapers on backwards or use some strong tape, so that she cannot remove it herself? It sounds like she is trying to engage you in a power struggle. Shocking, for a toddler, huh? :lol:

Good luck! I wish I had some better suggestions!

1 person likes this.
  7. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I like Jori's idea - going diaper-free is a privilege she earns by peeing in the potty. And if you need more ways to make sure the diaper stays on, you could get diabolical by putting her in a onesie (if she still has any that fit) with overalls. And tape, like Jori says.

Also, do you think maybe she's just too busy to sit down and pee? We've had a sort of mini-regression with Ivy. She went from happily doing everything in the potty to resisting it. No accidents, she'd just hold it and hold it and hold it until she was finally in a diaper (naptime). Sometimes she'd hold it from taking her diaper off in the morning (~ 8 am) until getting one on for nap (~ 2 pm)! :eek: She's getting better, and one thing that's really working for me is both offering a reward (tiny bites of Clif bar are the currency of choice right now) AND just hanging out with her while she's on the potty. Even when she has to go, sometimes it takes her a while to actually get it out. (No surprise, she's my mini-me, and my mom says I was exactly that way when I was little - I even remember my mom sitting with me while I took forever to go pee!) If she sits down and tries, I sit next to her, sing her songs and read her stories (she LOVES to read).

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Tyler totally regressed on me as well. He was day trained for 6 months (pee only) and just wont poop. Then he started peeing in his pants at least once a day. So my Ped said to put him back in diapers for at least 2 months and try again. So, that is what we are doing. It wasnt worth the daily battle of wills over something I can not control. :gah: GL!

9. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Have you tried over praising the sister for how well she is doing, where she can hear you? I've done this a couple of times for the boys. Everytime the other twin always wants to get in on the action so they get the love. In the beginning, I also talked about how gross/icky underware feel when they are wet, how uncomfortable it is, etc. We also talked about how good it feels to use the toilet and what big kids they are becoming. It seems to help.
    We've had a few days when Joshua has gone 3 times in his pants in a day. At that point, I actually do tell him that he can't do that anymore. He's not a baby but a big boy. Then I point out my older sons and say does Ben and David go in their pants..... You get the point. Normally it works and they start to try harder.
    I hope the power struggle is short lived. Sounds like she's definitely ready though.

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sure you already tried taking her to the potty every hour or what every amount of time you think is good.

I like the idea of starting out with underwear and telling her if she has an accident she has to go to the diaper.
    Good luck.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is a tough one. :hug: I would say since she really does not want to wear diapers you could use that to your advantage and let her know if she does not go pee in the potty you will put her back in them. If she really does not want to wear them that may help. It sounds like she is just testing you, she obviously knows what she is doing. I know how frustrating that is. :hug: When Emilie would not poop in the potty I took all her "pretty" underwear away, she helped me pack it up and she only had white or solid colors to wear. She got all her character undies back when she stated pooping on the potty, and that worked with her.

12. Kyrstyn

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!! You guys are the best!

Well, not sure what happened but Kylee decided to jump back on the Potty Bandwagon and has been accident free late since yesterday afternoon! :umm: I thought it may have been a fluke thing, but she did perfect all day today! I didn't do anything different, because at that point I was still lost and undecided in how I wanted to approach this. So weird!! Hopefully she keeps it up!

In other big Potty news in our house, today was the first day ever that BOTH of my girls had 100% potty success rate for the entire day!! :yahoo: We were even out of the house for over 3 hours today, and they both told us when they had to go, and there no accidents! :woo:

13. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:woo: Kylee and Kaylyn for being accident free. That is awesome!!

14. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Whoohoo! :yahoo: That's awesome!

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo: Awesome job girls!

16. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I like this idea too. Mine never did a regression thing but it took FOREVER for one of them to be ready. Like 10 months after her sister was trained. It was definitely a power struggle. She's super stubborn.

Oops, just saw they had an accident free day! Hurray!!