I need advice QUICK!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by tashatank24, Dec 17, 2008.

1. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

I'm being induced in two days granted we don't go on our own before then. Both babies are head down YEAH!!!! I went for an NST today, everything looked good, but I was showing some regular contractions. I was not feeling pain with these contractions, my belly was just getting hard. I went to my OB appointment and was checked. I was dilated to 3 and a half cm. It's my understanding that "active" labor begins at 4 cm, so I wondered why he didn't just send me over to L&D. I forgot to ask if I was effaced. So I wonder, Do I have to be completely effaced to begin dilating? I am now starting to have more painful contractions but they are really not that close together, and not as painful as I thought they should be, more like gas. Should I wait to go in? I just really want to make sure I get there in time to get an epidural. Help ladies!!!

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I would say that if there is any question in your mind, at a minimum you should call your Dr and see what they say. Did your Dr give you any kind of parameters as to how many contractions you can have in one hour? I know my Dr told me that if I had any more than 6 contractions in an hour I needed to go in. GL!!

3. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

He didn't give me any parameters. I'm going to lay down on my left side with a big glass of water to see if that helps. I'm going to start keeping count right now. I'm also having more back pain... I'll update in about 30 min.

4. ashnlexi

ashnlexi Active Member

i have never been through any of this before but i can tell you i have heard repeatedly that they dont let you eat so alot of ppl tell me to wait as long as i can...(although i am already here--now)before going in.. keep in mind the ppl i heard this from were not pregnant with twins tho... i personally would go and just sneak in some snacks incase it takes forever and they wont let u eat.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I think you should call your dr. !

6. dallasm

dallasm Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as you contractions wise. The started as painless and worked their way up to painful with cramps and back pain. I have been dilated to 3 since saturday with high bp and they will not induce me. I am to wait until the contractions get stronger and closer together. I have been having contractions since Saturday and they have been even 5 mins apart and then they will go away. I am sorry to tell you such bad news, but you could be doing this until they induce you!!! I feel your pain! Good luck and good wishes for labor!!!
    oh and I am 70% effaced and dilated so no u dont have to be 100% effaced. They can go together.