I Need advice for bedwetting

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by JESSIKAJ, Jan 6, 2008.

1. JESSIKAJ

JESSIKAJ New Member

Hello everybody, I'm popping over form the 1-4 year forum. We need help. My poor DS pees the bed almost everynight :angry: He's done this on and off for about 2 years. I try really hard not to get upset with him because I know it's not his fault. I've tried limiting his water intake, and not allowing water after 6'30, but he still does it. The only thing that seems to help, but only sometimes, is if I wake him up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I don't mind doing this but it wakes up his baby brother who he shares a room with. My son is starting to feel bad abouy it as well. He refuses to sleep over at grandparents house because of this. I also overheard him saying his prayers and asking Jesus to please not let him wet the bed. :(

My BIL is a chiropracter and he said as long as physical and sexual abuse is ruled out I should try seeing a chrio. I felt awful. I'm pretty sure these are ruled out, my son is always with my husband or I . But I thought WTH. Please help with any ideas you may have. Is there a possibility he will just grow out of it ?

Thankyou guys, Jessica

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(CUTIEPIESX2 @ Jan 6 2008, 02:57 PM) [snapback]559781[/snapback]
    Hello everybody, I'm popping over form the 1-4 year forum. We need help. My poor DS pees the bed almost everynight :angry: He's done this on and off for about 2 years. I try really hard not to get upset with him because I know it's not his fault. I've tried limiting his water intake, and not allowing water after 6'30, but he still does it. The only thing that seems to help, but only sometimes, is if I wake him up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I don't mind doing this but it wakes up his baby brother who he shares a room with. My son is starting to feel bad abouy it as well. He refuses to sleep over at grandparents house because of this. I also overheard him saying his prayers and asking Jesus to please not let him wet the bed. :(

My BIL is a chiropracter and he said as long as physical and sexual abuse is ruled out I should try seeing a chrio. I felt awful. I'm pretty sure these are ruled out, my son is always with my husband or I . But I thought WTH. Please help with any ideas you may have. Is there a possibility he will just grow out of it ?

Thankyou guys, Jessica

I would say its an immature bladder and hopefully he will grow out of it. I think it can be quite common in boys.
    I know there are medications u can take for it, maybe a visit to the pediatrician.

3. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

I've also read that there is a link btwn enlarged tonsils and bedwetting. Due to their enlarged tonsils these children experience sleep apnea, they have a more disrupted sleep pattern, in turn, once they do acheive REM sleep, they are difficult to arouse from it, (deep sleep) and cannot wake themselves up to go to the bathroom.
    Maybe a visit to an ENT? Quite common in boys also.

4. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Poor guy! :(

My boys (6 years 4 months) have JUST, in the past 3 months, stopped wetting the bed nightly. They were always wetting it at around 5am, and I think that their bodies just finally were able to hold it those last 2 hours. They are just such deep sleepers, that they didn't wake up. For the last 6 months to a year I was taking them to the bathroom in the middle of the night if they woke up (that was enough to get them through the night), or sometimes waking them up. Aside from that, I made waterproof pads for their beds and double made the beds, so that changing the sheets was quick and easy.

I don't know what a chiropractor would do, but I suppose it's worth a try. Good luck!

5. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Joel is seven and wears pullups to bed that are soaked in the morning! I have mentioned it to his pediatrician quite a number of times, she says not to worry. 25% of 6 year olds still wet the bed. Joel does have ADHD, and those kids tend to wet the bed until they are about 10 or so... Plus, he suffers from insomnia, so if I woke him up to go pee, he would never fall back to sleep. I figure it isn't anything he can control, so I'm not going to worry about. I just buy overnights and he doesn't seem to mind. He will do it when his body is ready. (He was also VERY hard to potty train and didn't train until he was 4)

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My nephew just stopped wearing pull-ups at night, and he is 10. I would try to make it as low stress for him as possible, and also talk to your ped about ideas to help.

7. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

My 8 year old and my 5 year old still wet the bed at night (they were both potty trained at 2 years and 4 months old). I have talked with a few different pediatricians and they have all said that late bed wetting can run in families. They have also said to not make a big deal over it. The children cannot help it and nothing that you do as a parent will help (waking them to pee, cutting off liquids at a certain time, etc).

At the age of 7 (for my now 8 year old) the doctor prescribed DDAVP (the name of the drug).....he started taking one pill about 1 hour before bedtime, and after a few weeks, we upped it to 2 pills 1 hour before bedtime, after a few more weeks we went up to 3 pills 1 hour before bedtime (all of the increases were doctors orders, not us changing how many he took on our own).......then since he was still not successful, we went off of the meds for a month or so, and then started over (my niece was successful on her first tries with the DDAVP (and her ped. gave it to her sooner than my sons ped started him).

The 5 year old wears diapers overnight and the 8 year old wear Goodnights.......sometimes we do a diaper doubler also.

ask you doctor about DDAVP!!!!!!

8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Sean was a bedwetter until he was about 8 or 9. To help prevent this, we would routinely wake him at about 10:30-11 pm to use the bathroom, and that helped greatly. He gradually outgrew it by age 8 or 9. It was just an immature control of his bladder at night during sleep. One thing we never did was make a big issue over it. It was just no big deal as we didn't want him ever to feel badly. He could not control it. On the reverse side, B&C never wet their beds ever once they were potty-trained. Funny how sibs can be so different.

9. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica! I hope you're feeling a bit better about it after reading the posts here! Like the PPs have said, it is very common for bedwetting to persist until much later than most of us think is "normal". I think if anyone ever took a poll, we'd find out that "normal" includes bedwetting for a good per centage of kids for at least a few more years after toilet training! ;) For boys especially, continued night time accidents up till age 10 are not uncommon.

I agree with Kim and Ellen completely. Try not to let it worry you too much, and help your son to manage the situation to make it as trouble free as possible. Put a waterproof mattress pad on his bed and keep clean linens handy and easy to transfer if there is a need in the night. I have mixed feelings about Good Nights or similar. I think they are essential and a great idea for overnight visits away from home or for sleepovers, but for general times, I would worry that they might further inhibit your son's ability to recognise his own body's signals even as he is beginning to mature to the point of all night bladder control. This, however, is only my opinion. I think there are doctors who fall on both sides of that question: some say it will make no difference (and if they are right,t hen I say use the good nights and keep the child as comfortable as possible!) others say it might mask the signals the child needs. That's your call. I do think that whether or not you use Good Nights, your son will get there eventually anyway, though maybe slightly later than without.

I think the less fuss made,a nd the less fuss surrounding wet beds, wet sheets etc (get it as easy and stress free as possible) then the less chance your son will feel badly about this very normal and very temporary problem!

Good luck!

10. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

Justin will be 5 next month & he still wears a pull-up at night. When I asked the Dr she said it is very normal expecially for boys to wet the bed up till around 8-10. She said not to worry till then. She did mention that it usually runs in the family & asked if my husband was a bed wetter. We don't make a big deal out of it.

11. JESSIKAJ

JESSIKAJ New Member

Thanks so much everyone, I feel much more at peace. thank you guys. Jessica