I have gestational diabetes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by watchinwaves, Apr 8, 2010.

1. watchinwaves

watchinwaves New Member

Today I found out that I do have gestational diabetes. Boooo! I had a feeling I would end up having it. My numbers started slightly high at 98 when it should have been 95. During the first hour it was 179 and should have been under 180. During the next hour it should have gone down to 155, well it sky rocketed to 230. Yikes! I got to stop my test right then. In a week and a half I have an appointment to go over my diet. For anyone who has or had GD I've got some questions for you.

How often do/did you check your blood sugar?

Does it hurt to prick your figure? I hate getting my finger pricked at the doctor's office.

What do/did you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?

Any bits of information would be awesome. I am feeling very clueless and worried about my babies right now. Thanks so much!

2. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

3. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

Ohhh I had it to & it stinks.
    I had to prick my finger 4 times a day switch up your fingers so they doesn't get sore but it does'nt really hurt. & as long as I ate a good breakfast my numbers where fine all day. So I hope you like eggs! Start out your day with eggs & breakfast meats is the best thing to do.

4. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

:hug: You will do fine. It is really hard until you talk about the diet. I had GD with both pregnancies and controlled it with diet. With the first, I had to meet the diabetic counselor every week. I had to take a chart with my counts. I think that really helped. With the twins I didn't see the counselor as much. Make sure you pay attention to serving sizes on everything. I didn't think the finger pricks hurt but after a while your fingers will get sore. Make sure your change sites often. I had to check mine as follows: Fasting (after waking in the morning), after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner. Sometimes they want you to check after 1 hour or after 2 hours. Make sure you know which they want you to do. I can't remember exactly what I ate since it has been so long ago. I did feel like I was always eating because I had meals and then snacks throughout the day. They made fun of me at work for always eating.

With my first pregnancy I even had to get up in the night to eat some cheese crackers because I was having problems with ketones in my urine.

Good luck.

5. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

You will fine. Do not worry about your babies. I have GD with DS and now with the twins. I was pretty depress about it at first too. After I found out about GD I know that I have the power to make sure that my baby will be okay. Sometimes it does get discouraging when you are craving for the sweet stuff but just remember everything you eat is going to do good for your babies.

How often do/did you check your blood sugar?
    I check my sugar four times a day. Fasting(when I first get up) and after each meal.

Does it hurt to prick your figure? I hate getting my finger pricked at the doctor's office.
    Pricking my finger does not hurt. As long as you rotate the fingers that you prick. You can control how hard the lancing device pricks you.

What do/did you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?
    My nutrientist gave me meal plan with how many carbs and proteins I suppose to have everymeal. Keep track for your carbs. Everyone react and breaks down carbs differently. So make sure that you choose whole grains,etc. Also execrise really helps too. This time with the twins I have signed up for Pregancy Water Aeorbrics. My docs does not allow me to keep running til after I have the twin so I replaced it with Water Aeorbics.