I have a ?

Discussion in 'General' started by monie rose, Aug 22, 2007.

1. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I have a 13y boy and am wondering what I can I expect? I mean will his attitude and deafness worsen. If so, I'm in big trouble and what else am I missing? I already told him I know that we both will get on each others nerves, and he may get mad at me, but I will always be here for him and that I love him. I just don't remember much about my teen years, so what is going to happen now? Thanks!

2. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know but I'm going to move this to the parents of twins forum for you. (its a sub forum of 13-18)

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I don't know. I have a 17 year old and 13 year old twins. Really, we haven't had too many difficulties with any of them (so far). The biggest change I have noticed in all of them is just they're growing up and maturing. Yes, we have the selective hearing, but did you know there is a real reason for that? The prefrontal cortex of the brain is still developing in teens, and this area controls the executive function. Executive function refers to the abilities to differentiate between conflicting thoughts, determine good and bad, better and best, same and different, future consequences of current activities, working toward a defined goal, prediction of outcomes, expectation based on actions, and social "control" (the ability to suppress urges that, if not suppressed, could lead to socially unacceptable outcomes). Check out this information on the teenage brain. The teen brain is really still forming and growing. Fascinating stuff. As I always say, they look "done" on the outside, but are "half-baked" on the inside. :D

4. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

That's why it seems that children's brains go on vacation when they hit 13. Daniel does stuff all the time that just leaves me shaking my head wondering how he could have thought THAT was a good idea.

5. mrsjo

mrsjo Well-Known Member

My oldest son is hitting this teenagerdom seriously too. Our house is upside down with 2 four year olds and a 2 year old(aka my 7th grader). He has become an emotional wreck the last 10 months. He has always been a go-to kid, tough, smart, good kid. Now we can't get him to take his shoe to his room without WWIII! :angry: I don't know what has changed, we were such good friends until 10 months ago and now he seems distracted by every little thing.
    You are not alone, my son is gone whacko too. :icon_eek:

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Mine, too. I can't wait for him to move into his next phase of development. Ugh.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

mine is totally deaf and much smarter than me or anyone else because he knows EVERYTHING :wacko:

an alien has abducted my sweet boy and I want him back!!

8. MEARA

MEARA Well-Known Member

My 12 yr old girl is now in La-la land half the time. And when she's not, she's defensive and angry towards me. Only thing that's helped me is keeping her extremely busy. Chores(free or paid), sports, outside projects, friends, whatever we can come up with. Plus we keep the high expectations of grades on the table too. My point is that if she wants to have three friends spend the night for a camp-out she needs to make sure my day is on an even keel by not snapping at me and doing what is expected of her, no questions asked. Its been working for us -