I don't know how much of this I can take...HELP

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twopinkpeanuts, Dec 23, 2006.

1. twopinkpeanuts

twopinkpeanuts Well-Known Member

I need some suggestions, advice, encouragement...

My girls are usually pretty good sleepers. But one has an ear infection and just will NOT GO TO SLEEP. I've tried holding her and consoling her, letting her (try) and sleep on me, but she's so restless, she can't get to sleep, and every time I put her in her bed she screams bloody murder. She has a pillow for elevation and I also propped her crib up a few inches on one side hoping to giver her some relief. I know she's in pain and miserable, but I can't help but think that sleeping will help her get better faster.

I would just hold her all day and for naps and nightime sleep, but her sister freaks out if I leave her in her bed and hold her sister. Now neither are getting sleep.

Should I let her cry it out? Should I let them just not sleep. That freaks me out because I KNOW how hard the days following (CHRISTMAS!) will be with 2 overly tired twins.

I'm so burnt out and tired myself, but I could use some advice or suggestions right about now! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Daniele

2. twopinkpeanuts

twopinkpeanuts Well-Known Member

I need some suggestions, advice, encouragement...

My girls are usually pretty good sleepers. But one has an ear infection and just will NOT GO TO SLEEP. I've tried holding her and consoling her, letting her (try) and sleep on me, but she's so restless, she can't get to sleep, and every time I put her in her bed she screams bloody murder. She has a pillow for elevation and I also propped her crib up a few inches on one side hoping to giver her some relief. I know she's in pain and miserable, but I can't help but think that sleeping will help her get better faster.

I would just hold her all day and for naps and nightime sleep, but her sister freaks out if I leave her in her bed and hold her sister. Now neither are getting sleep.

Should I let her cry it out? Should I let them just not sleep. That freaks me out because I KNOW how hard the days following (CHRISTMAS!) will be with 2 overly tired twins.

I'm so burnt out and tired myself, but I could use some advice or suggestions right about now! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Daniele

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Is she on an antibiotic? Did they give you any numbing drops for her ears? Those may help if you don't have them already. Usually mine felt better after being on the antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Does she take a paci? Sucking on something might help with the pain. I hope she feels better soon!

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If she is in so much pain that she can't sleep at all, I think that is worth a call to the doctor. Perhaps there is a pain med other than Tylenol that he/she can prescribe.

I would probably try letting her cry for just a short time -- say 10-15 minutes -- and see if she calms down at all. If she does, then maybe she is still able to go to sleep on her own. But if she continues to be hysterical, I would probably just hold her. If that makes her sister freak out, can you leave her sister in the room alone and hold the sick one in another room?

Good luck [​IMG]

5. 2boys2blessed

2boys2blessed Well-Known Member

My boys had ear infections back to back and I understand the no sleeping for them or you. I would call the doc & just let them know they are not sleeping because of the pain. Ask if you can get the pain drops for the ears and see if they can suggest anything that will help them sleep for now. Sick babies are so tiresome. Mine are not really sick but teething and we have been up every night for a week anywhere from 2-4am to 2:30 to 5:30am. I thankfully got a good night sleep last night and I hope all of you do also tonight.

6. DBist77

DBist77 Well-Known Member

Tylonel to take the pain away.

stacia

7. newfiefreckle

newfiefreckle Well-Known Member

Kind of late in teh game here, but the numbing ear drops work wonders. They are a prescription though. I personally rather ibuprofen for pain rather then tylenol. I have been known to sleep in the recliner for a day or two when the kids get ear infections. It is the only way they sleep, and myself too.

8. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

Poor babies and Mommy! I hope that she feels better soon. I give Motrin for pain and Tylenol for fever. Motrin takes any pressure or swelling away faster.

9. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

My pedi said that for the first 2-3 dys on abx that they will need tylenol or motrin to help with pain. I have elevated the bed like you said, kept them upright as much as possible, etc.
    But my suggestion if they both need to be held, maybe take them into bed with you propping them on either side of you with pillows and that way in a way they are being held, being propped and you can still prop yourself on some pillows and fall asleep.
    Or let the one learn that its ok if she is not getting held and sleeping good while the other one feels better.
    I don't see anything wrong with letting the other one learn that its ok and they don't need held everytime her sister is held. It can't be like that all the time.