I admit.. I still swaddle on occasion =/

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by babymOmmax2, Jan 30, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

The boys are just shy of 11 months. I do admit that when they are uncontrollably cranky, I tend to swaddle them to soothe them instantly to sleep ; they don't fight or break out of it either surprisingly.. they love it. I heard its safe to do so until they are 1. But that is coming sooner than I know it. Bad habit I should have broken months and months ago, huh? I don't do is continuously.. maybe a half dozen times between the two of them a week. But, it's just those days when all they do is play around in their cribs for hours and then regret it by the late afternoon. I feel as though I NEED to do something for their sanity and mine. Should I start the CIO method? It's not even the fact that they cry because 99% of the time, they'll just play. They are NOT swaddled at night. They have their bottle in their cribs at 7am and are out like lights instantly without a problem. Any suggestions :unsure: ???

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When you do swaddle them and they are cranky is it for nap time? I would say if you are only doing it about 6 times a week, I would think it would be an easy habit to break and I would give CIO a shot and see what happens. Good luck!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

I can't imagine any of my kids standing for being swaddled at 11 months! :lol: But, if it works for you, I can't really see anything wrong with it!

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Jan 30 2009, 08:02 PM) [snapback]1169976[/snapback]
    When you do swaddle them and they are cranky is it for nap time? I would say if you are only doing it about 6 times a week, I would think it would be an easy habit to break and I would give CIO a shot and see what happens. Good luck!

I agree, I would do CIO too. If CIO isn't for you then maybe you could try to soothe them in another way such as rubbing their backs or giving them a special cuddly toy for their cribs that they can hug. One of my girls has a bunny she can not sleep without.

5. babymOmmax2

Yes, just for naps. I tried to do CIO, but they just play and won't go down immediately like they do at night.. ughh..

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think if the kids are happy, why bother? I think it's rare that a baby likes to be swaddled still but unless it's causing a problem I don't see any reason to stop for naps :)

7. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

if it comforts them, then why stop?

8. shandy

shandy Well-Known Member

is it bad to keep them swaddled???
    my girls just turned 9 months and I swadle them EVERY time they get put down... naps and bedtime.
    they are always out of it and in different positions when I go get them up - but I figure, when I swadle them, they realize it's time for bed...
    now I'm wondering why it's bad....

9. babymOmmax2

I guess it isn't considered bad. It's just habit-forming, like what happens when they no longer fit into them anymore? I guess they need to be gotten rid of eventually.. in the meantime, enjoy your peace because if it soothes them, it soothes you too!

10. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

If it's a habit you're ready to move them away from, I say go for whatever method works. . . I guess the trick is to substitue a new habit that signals "relax and rest". This sounds crazy, but I started weaning my babies from breastfeeding before naps to reading books before naps/bedtime. It was a relaxing thing to do. I find that establishing a schedule/routine worked best too.

Maybe it would be natural for you to substitue a special blanket instead swaddling?

11. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Jan 30 2009, 09:03 PM) [snapback]1169980[/snapback]
    I can't imagine any of my kids standing for being swaddled at 11 months! :lol: But, if it works for you, I can't really see anything wrong with it!

ITA!