Hyland's Cough Syrup

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dtomecko, Apr 1, 2010.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I can officially post here now, since my twins turned two on March 25. Unfortunately it's for an illness related topic.

Has anyone used the Hyland's Cough Syrup with 100% natural honey for their 2 year olds? My son has a bad cough keeping him up at night. At our 2 year visit our pediatrician said 1 tsp of children's cold medicine (like Robitussin) could be used safely now. But after looking at all the warnings on the boxes and they all said not to give to a child under 4, and some said 6 (even though my pediatrician told me they would say this), I chickened out and didn't buy them. Instead I found the hyland's, which said it was safe for ages 2 and up. But I'm still a little worried about using it since it's still new ingredients for him and I don't think I've given him actual honey before.

Would you feel safe using it? Have you used it and found it to be effective?

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I haven't used the Hyland's. We use Dimetapp.

3. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I held out on using Robitussin too. I tried the Hylands and it did absolutely nothing. Finally my daughter was coughing every night for two weeks straight and throwing up from coughing so much and I used the robitussin.

Robitussin is a god send. Not one single cough the first night. I kept going in to check on her and she was totally fine!

I woudl definitely use it. My ped recommended it as well and as long as you use the correct dosage I'm sure you would be fine.

4. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

i didn't realize hylands had a cough syrup, or i would have used it a couple weeks ago when mine were coughing. instead we used tea w/honey. but i would have had no probs using hylands--i use all their stuff!

gl, jl

5. Username

Username Well-Known Member

We use honey. It works great to soothe those night coughs!

6. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I had it in my cart when we were out shopping a few weeks ago, but chickened out & put it back. Not sure why, but I went with Delsym instead. Of course, ironically, that night my DS's cough wasn't severe enough to warrant meds, so I haven't had to use anything yet. I am interested in other people's experiences with Hyland's though, since we LOVED their teething tabs!!!

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We use the Hyland's honey cough syrup and it's fantastic. It's homeopathic, so that's why it's approved for ages 2 and up. Hyland's also has a cough and cold syrup (no honey) and that seems to work ok, but not as good as the honey.